: RWD Northstar? Gofast Parts?

Camarogenius
03-11-05, 09:36 AM
Hey guys. Cool board.
I've got a Northstar engine w/ about 3500 miles on it, from a wrecked demo. I've had it for years, but now I'm either gonna ebay it for gofast parts for my Camaro, or I'm gonna transplant it into the Camaro. Has anyone ever heard of doing this? Would I be better off to just sell the thing and stick with my small block? Where would I find a Bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch assy?
Where would I find Gofast goodies for this engine?
Thanks for your time.
Jeff

danbuc
03-11-05, 01:26 PM
Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators is now making some nice parts for the RWD Northstar engines. They mmake bellhousing to hook them up to such transmissions as the TH350, TH400, and 700R4 I believe. You could probably ask them to make one for whatever trannsmission you want. Some of the stuff they are working on, are things like cams, exhaust work, superchargers, turbos, custom engine mounts, all kinds of things. Here's their website http://www.chrfab.com/ . I would keep it, and put it in the Camaro. I think it would be a neat project, and work certainly get people talking. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

caddydaddy
03-11-05, 01:46 PM
I've got a Northstar engine w/ about 3500 miles on it, from a wrecked demo. I've had it for years, Jeff

Jeff, are you sure it's a RWD Northstar? They didn't start making those until 2004. You mentioned you had it for years, that's why I ask! Also, the RWD Northstars are all VVT 320 HP versions, whereas the FWD ones were non-VVT and 300 or 275 HP. You can still convert the FWD Northstars to RWD transmissions, as mentioned.

danbuc
03-11-05, 01:48 PM
Fudge, I didn't pick up on the fact you said you had it for years. No matter, it can still be used as a RWD engine. You just have to build you own mounts, and stuff. CHRFab makes even more for the older style engine too, which is nice.

Katshot
03-11-05, 02:16 PM
You might want to check into it but I think there's a few mods you need to do to the FWD engine to safely use it in a RWD application..

1996deVille
03-11-05, 04:52 PM
One of the things to think through is that the water pump would sit right where your steering column/master cylinder is now... the N* turned 90 degrees makes this otherwise simple job very difficult - you may even have to pull the engine out to get to it.

This is also where your upper/lower rad hoses will connect - again, I think you'd have to make a different housing to do this in a RWD application.

Just my 2 cents... but what a ride if you can get it to work!

Camarogenius
03-11-05, 05:23 PM
Well, I went to the chrfab site, and looked around, and WOW that stuff is expensive!! There's just no way I can justify spending that kind of money when I already have a killer small block built and ready to go. I'll just keep the 355 and spend some money on suspension. I guess I'll go list the motor in the classifieds.

Thanks for your help.

STS 310
03-11-05, 06:15 PM
How much are you asking? And which Engine is it?

Camarogenius
03-11-05, 06:27 PM
It's the early northstar, I'll post the numbers off of it sometime this weekend.I dont have any of the electronics or the intake or starter. Just the "Valve covers to the oilpan, but it has been properly stored, and kept warm and dry. Make Offer.

danbuc
03-11-05, 08:15 PM
What year and model was it out of?

Camarogenius
03-11-05, 09:28 PM
Not real sure. By the time I got it, they had had it for a couple of years, I got it in the mid 90's. Like I said, It's been properly stored. I'll get some #'s from it this weekend. Should be able to come up w/ a casting date from that. I know there's a sticker with a bar code on one valve cover, that may help as well.

Camarogenius
03-14-05, 09:38 PM
Okay, here are the numbers I got, On the block, I found a 93 with a circle of dots around it. On the black (rear) valve cover there is a decal w/ a barcode and these numbers T10L441102. And cast into the head, 1647154.

Make offer

Camarogenius
03-14-05, 09:46 PM
Here ya go, I'll trade for these. BTW, the Motor is located near Saint Louis.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960461986&category=33617

caddydaddy
03-14-05, 09:46 PM
The circle of dots around the 93 is the casting year, so it's a 1993! That was the very first year of the Northstar.