: Chrome painted plastic....

Night Wolf
03-10-05, 11:11 PM
Well, like everyone else with these cars that don't have 15k miles or less and stored in a heated garage... my interrior is looking kinda bad.

the worst being the cracked dash (I live with ) the semi-warped main consol (it is a pain to look at... about it) the real ugly fake Burl wood dash (I want to change it to the much better late '80's Brougham walnut trim) and the nasty chrome-plated plastic...

like most, it has worn off in places... the 2 "bars' under the top dash pad... some of the AC vents and such... I want to really clean it up...

I was thinking about getting that chrome spray paint at the auto store and maybe lightly sand the old stuff down, then re-paint it... it should come out smooth, and while not look like new, atleast look farily decent and consistant.

Would this look ok? and has anyone else done anything to try and improve on the looks of the interrior?

Really what I need to do is go to the junkyard again and find a wrecked late 80's Brougham, I want the dash pieces along with the main door panel pices (cig lighter, power window buttons.. that wood piece) as mine are faded and ugly, and in the case of 2... broke...

I really don't like the burl wood look though... the walnut/rosewood... if much better looking...

DopeStar 156
03-11-05, 10:37 AM
I agree with you on that rosewood decision. As far as I know everything should fit as long as you're not putting in the digital climate control unit and the radio I don't think would fit. The dash panels for the most part I'm pretty sure are a perfect fit as well as the door pieces. I was thinking about changing my master controls on my door because one of my power seat switches doesn't work, I'm pretty sure some boob left the door open in the rain somewhere between 1989 and 2004. Anyway, good luck. I'm pretty sure your interior might be a little difficult to find though, I'm still looking for a leather wheel in burgundy since mine is all cracked on top.

Adumb
03-11-05, 10:44 AM
...I was thinking about changing my master controls on my door because one of my power seat switches doesn't work...

have that problem too with one of the switches not working, and a couple of the switches do the exact same thing,

Night Wolf
03-11-05, 12:11 PM
That is the thing, my car has the d'Elegance option... adds the comfy seats, thick, soft carpet, grab handles on the ceiling... and the facy door-pull handles....

So I want to leave the door panels alone, they match the car....

... which is why I was hesatant about changing the dash, it would no longer match the door panels..... but honestly, I look at the dash all day, not the door panels... and on my '93 I put the real wood trim on the dash, but the door panels still have the plastic stuff, and it looks fine, so I know I will get used to it...

everything will interchange... about the radio, if I go with a cdp, then there will bo no more wood showing there.... and with the climate control, I don't think much can be done, so I will just leave that.... around the climate control and radio the fake wood stuff is peeling anyway, and it looks really bad.

considering that the interriors of these cars hardly changed form 1977-1992, it will be rather easy... I would still like to find a matching red dash top since mine is cracked.

My car dosn't have leather seats (more trouble then they are worth on these cars IMO) so I have the palstic steering wheel, besides a couple cracks on the spokes, it is fine....but is rather blah as it has the crst and the V.... I would like to find an early 80's DeVille (still used the V not the wreath) in red interrior and take the steering wheel, because on that it kinda looks like a jewel (as in your car) or even a late 80's Brougham, the wreath woudln't bother me one bit.

but that still leaves the question about what to do with the nasty chrome plated plastic..... I'll try and get pictures of the exact areas I am talking about later....

Oh, and BTW the door controls are easy fix... it isn't the switches.... well, first thing to do is remove that panel and remove the switches, use a wire brush to clean the contacts....

but it happened on my mothers '89 Brougham, the power seat dosn't work anymore... that is becuase the wires going into the door break... something with the way they are routed, they crack easy.... you gotta re-connect them and electrical tape them up, it should work... we fixed my mothers seat one time, but it broke again (it was a quick fix) but that is the biggest issue with them...

the '93 has the dual 6-way power seat controls on the doors, both the '79 and the Olds have only 6-way power driver seat, but the contorls are on the side of the seat... kinda like 1 less thing to go wrong.