: what do i hook up here? (pics)

Adumb
03-10-05, 11:46 PM
hey, i found this the other day. i was hoping some one knows what it is for.
http://www.adumbrecords.com/images/caddy/unknown1.JPG

http://www.adumbrecords.com/images/caddy/unknown2.JPG

my only guess is that maybe its for a cb radio.
i forgot to add that its right under the dash, in the middle.

Mr Cowl Hood
03-10-05, 11:54 PM
That's your OBD1 Diagnostic port. It's for diagnosing trouble codes and seeing the overall health of your 1995 or earlier caddy.

It is definitely NOT for taking power and ground out for your stereo/neons, or whatever. It's sensitive to sharing power with other devices. :hmm:

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

Adumb
03-11-05, 12:01 AM
so would i buy something to plug in here?,

Night Wolf
03-11-05, 12:04 AM
agree, dump the power cord going to it

That is the ALDL connector... on the DeVille with OBD you access it thru the Fuel Data Center, and AFAIK the only use for the ALDL is to set timing, and to retirve serivce SSS codes.... also to hook up to a diagnostic computer....

it is under there minding it's own business... how it was made to be, and how it should be left.

Adumb
03-11-05, 12:07 AM
...so pretend it doesnt exist?, lol

Night Wolf
03-11-05, 12:19 AM
after you loose the power/ground wire going to it.... yes

it is a diagnostic port, that is all... unless you want to get into heavy car diagnostics (that even require that, since most is done thru the dash controls) then you don't need to worry about it.

Adumb
03-11-05, 12:25 AM
what if i dont cut power to it? is it a drain on the batt? i dont really understand this thing

Night Wolf
03-11-05, 12:34 AM
ahhhh

pretend it isn't there

getting power form that isn't good, since the power wires going to it to begin with are small... and they go right to the computer of the car (diagnostic purposes) so for whatever reason, if too much current is draw, there is a good chance you'll fry the wiring, and even cook the computer....

just find an alternate power source, it is very easy to do... splice into the power for the cig lighter or something... or run a seperate cable from the battery to the cabin/trunk (like you are supposed to do)

it really isn't that hard to understand.....

Adumb
03-11-05, 12:39 AM
ok, yeah, i understand now. i didnt want to draw power from that. i was just wondering what it was. we were just talking about different things. yeah, id run a cable from the batt. if i needed juice. thanks for the help though

davesdeville
03-11-05, 02:07 AM
They're talking about the blue wire in the pic I think. Doesn't look factory to me. What's it go to?

Adumb
03-11-05, 10:35 AM
they both go to my subs in the back. yeah, i was only talking about that wiring harness thing. sorry about the confusion.

Mr Cowl Hood
03-11-05, 02:26 PM
ok, yeah, i understand now. i didnt want to draw power from that. i was just wondering what it was. we were just talking about different things. yeah, id run a cable from the batt. if i needed juice. thanks for the help though

I don't see it mentioned. What year is your Fleetwood?

Adumb
03-11-05, 02:37 PM
I don't see it mentioned. What year is your Fleetwood?

its an 83,

evilrussian
03-11-05, 04:45 PM
It's just like some serial and parallel connectors on your PC, if there is nothing connnected to it, don't worry about it. If you ever wanted to connect a code scanner to it that would be the port, otherwise you can bring up all the codes on your climate control or fuel data monitor ( I forgot which one it is, mine is now carbureted)