: Which oil to use for a oil change on a 2008 Escalade?

Bengal313
08-01-13, 11:29 AM
Just bought a 2008 Escalade and was looking around to find the best price for an oil change. Need to know what kind of oil i should use. There is a dramatic price difference between synthetic and regular. What should be used with this truck? I looked on the cap and it say "SAE 5W-30".

RippyPartsDept
08-01-13, 11:36 AM
your owners manual will tell the full story but the cliff-notes version is that any "starburst" labeled 5w30 will do

Rich08
08-01-13, 11:39 AM
Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a ac delco pf48 oil filter. You need 6 quarts, Walmart has the best price for oil. The whole thing will run you about 35$ to 40$ I change it my oil every 3k miles

Bengal313
08-01-13, 12:34 PM
From what I understand the cap say to use regular, "SAE 5W-30". But someone told me to use "Dexo". Some sort of semi-synthetic. The truck as 70k. Should I start using synthetic, semi-synthetic or stick with regular? Using these more expensive oil, is it worth it? Should I do it?

RippyPartsDept
08-01-13, 12:40 PM
there is no reason to use semi syn, full syn or anything more than plain conventional oil

your Oil Life Monitor is calibrated for conventional oil and any better oil that you use will still have way more life left to it than the OLM says it does so you'll basically be wasting money (and precious natural resources) on the better and more expensive oils

Bengal313
08-01-13, 01:09 PM
Also I heard that the synthetic oils are thinner and has a better chance of sipping through the gaskets on older cars. Is that true? I guess I will stick to regular and change it religiously every time the warning pops up. TY

blackex
08-01-13, 01:23 PM
Thats a myth. It's actually not easy to find conventional oil anymore since most of them are partially blended and mixed with synthetics now anyways.

hcvone
08-01-13, 02:02 PM
They come from the factory with full synthetic oils everywhere on the truck, use at least Mobil 1 or better.

Damndirtyape
08-01-13, 02:10 PM
All the boutique oils always compare themselves to Mobil 1 synthetic. So guess what I use. :) Seems to be the standard, available everywhere, including at wally world where it's (relatively) cheap.

Bengal313
08-01-13, 02:12 PM
Mines a 2008. I thought it came with regular. There is nothing on the cap to say it's synthetic. I just don't want to spend $70 on a oil change when I can get the regular for $25. What are the benefits of synthetic to justify the cost? I plan on changing the oil on a timely basis.

RippyPartsDept
08-01-13, 03:30 PM
It came from the factory with conventional oil ... again, read the owner's manual

if you don't have one they are available online in PDF form ... if you can't find it i'll get you a link
i can even pull up the relevant page for you and post it here if you want

adamjeeps
08-01-13, 03:42 PM
Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a ac delco pf48 oil filter. You need 6 quarts, Walmart has the best price for oil. The whole thing will run you about 35$ to 40$ I change it my oil every 3k miles

The pf-63 can be used, many on bob is the oil guy say it is preferable due to its larger filter media and slightly larger capacity. It is the same as the pf-48 only about 22mm longer.

RippyPartsDept
08-01-13, 03:57 PM
plus it's easier to grab ahold of when you're installing and removing it ... we still use the PF48 though

Bengal313
08-01-13, 04:49 PM
The cap says nothing about synthetic but I pulled up the manual online and on page 5-16

"Your vehicle’s engine is filled at the factory with a
Mobil 1® synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for
your vehicle."

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2008_cadillac_escalade_escaladeesv_owners.pdf

RippyPartsDept
08-01-13, 06:00 PM
i stand corrected

i thought 2009 was the first year the escalades switched to the Mobil1/GM4718M spec
apparently it was 2008

just double checked in my parts catalog and recommended fluids page for oil says Mobil1
and the oil filler cap is a Dexos oil filler cap (the mobil1 advertising/cross-promotion deal ended in 2011 when Dexos came out)

hcvone
08-01-13, 07:21 PM
It came from the factory with conventional oil ... again, read the owner's manual

if you don't have one they are available online in PDF form ... if you can't find it i'll get you a link
i can even pull up the relevant page for you and post it here if you want

I don't have to read the owners manual, after a dozen of these trucks I know what the manual says and what oil came in these trucks. :yup:

RippyPartsDept
08-01-13, 09:33 PM
i know you don't but the OP did (and apparently I did too)

bigwill1323704
08-01-13, 11:52 PM
K&n filter

Royal purple oil

hcvone
08-02-13, 06:27 AM
Yea I had custom decals made for the caps that say Amsoil and the type of oil, will post pics if I remember

evois
08-02-13, 06:59 AM
I have used only mobil 1 5w/30, with the extended performance label. the dexos oil is just a GM company certification that it meets GM specifications. It wasn't dexos labeled before but now all mobil 1 5w/30 EP in the new packaging comes with the dexos label. I also use the mobil 1 EP oil filter because of the extended interval I noticed using this oil. almost 13k miles with 29% left!

adamjeeps
08-02-13, 07:34 AM
I have used only mobil 1 5w/30, with the extended performance label. the dexos oil is just a GM company certification that it meets GM specifications. It wasn't dexos labeled before but now all mobil 1 5w/30 EP in the new packaging comes with the dexos label. I also use the mobil 1 EP oil filter because of the extended interval I noticed using this oil. almost 13k miles with 29% left!

The oil life monitor does not know anything about your oil type or filter type. It simply calculates based on mileage and the type of driving you do. You would be at 29% with any oil and filter. Not saying you shouldn't use EP, just letting you know about the oil life monitor.

blackex
08-02-13, 07:46 AM
I've never liked the idea of relying on the oil life monitor because what does it really know or able to tell? I use Mobil 1 with a wix filter every 5,000 miles, I used my escalade for daily driving an hour to work and an hour home through rush hour and all kinds of madness everyday. Now it sits in the garage while I drive this 2001 ford focus around for work.

hcvone
08-02-13, 08:54 AM
The oil life monitor does not know anything about your oil type or filter type. It simply calculates based on mileage and the type of driving you do. You would be at 29% with any oil and filter. Not saying you shouldn't use EP, just letting you know about the oil life monitor.

You are 100% correct. :)

evois
08-02-13, 04:28 PM

like I was saying, I obviously know it doesn't recognize oil life or type of filter but at 13,000 miles of use, the oil life monitor is at only 29%. The reason why I choose mobil 1 EP filter is because it is supposedly made not to breakdown at such long mileage interval. If I wait until it is at 15,000 miles of use, the oil life monitor will porbably say 15%(just a guess).

I have used blackstone to confirm the oil life and they were pretty much accurate. The reason why I chose the extended performance is because I had an evolution which was a 300hp AWD 2.0L turbo rally car and it uses mobil 1 as standard fill. with the mobil 1 10w/30 non-EP, the oil was already burnt at 3000 miles. After trying the extended performance version, the oil was cleaner just like it was being used in a non-turbo car.

RippyPartsDept
08-02-13, 04:44 PM
any oil that meets GM's spec for your escalade should degrade similarly and a blackstone labs test should confirm this
GM4718M is the spec
the oil will say that spec number on the bottle...
or at least they used to... i think now they only say Dexos since it supersedes the GM4718 and GM6094M oil specs

note the specs listed on the back of this castrol bottle (mobil1 & other brands are basically the same in this regard)

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4020/6b6a.jpg

adamjeeps
08-02-13, 04:46 PM
like I was saying, I obviously know it doesn't recognize oil life or type of filter but at 13,000 miles of use, the oil life monitor is at only 29%. The reason why I choose mobil 1 EP filter is because it is supposedly made not to breakdown at such long mileage interval. If I wait until it is at 15,000 miles of use, the oil life monitor will porbably say 15%(just a guess).

I have used blackstone to confirm the oil life and they were pretty much accurate. The reason why I chose the extended performance is because I had an evolution which was a 300hp AWD 2.0L turbo rally car and it uses mobil 1 as standard fill. with the mobil 1 10w/30 non-EP, the oil was already burnt at 3000 miles. After trying the extended performance version, the oil was cleaner just like it was being used in a non-turbo car.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying it was because of using EP that the monitor still had 29% remaining. It would be super cool if GM could put an instrument that monitors the properties of the oil:worship:

evois
08-02-13, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying it was because of using EP that the monitor still had 29% remaining. It would be super cool if GM could put an instrument that monitors the properties of the oil:worship:

I thought mercedes and bmw did that? as far as oil choice, I am convinced with mobil 1. I have used it in my honda pilot and it has 210k miles already and using a 15k mile interval(it doesn't have an oil life reminder). unfortunately, I have to resource for castrol slx for my range rover when its time for its first oil change. tempted to use mobil 1 but castrol is their factory fill and i cannot find the castrol SLX anywhere except the dealer.