: 2005 Thunderbird to Be the Last

HotRodSaint
03-10-05, 06:15 PM
Ford Motor Co. said Thursday the 2005 model year will be the last for the current-generation Ford Thunderbird, a retro-styled convertible that went on sale in August 2001. (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050310/thunderbird_retirement_2.html)

The redesigned 2002 Thunderbird got off to a roaring start. Dealers were flooded with pre-orders and got $10,000 premiums on top of the car's sticker price of $30,000. It also won over critics, securing Motor Trend magazine's Car of the Year award.

But the flurry died down almost as quickly as it emerged. Ford had projected sales of 25,000 per year but fell well short of that mark. Just 11,998 Thunderbirds sold in 2004, 33 percent fewer than 2003.

Ford has sold a total of 54,360 new-generation Thunderbirds since 2001. The company said it has sold 4.2 million Thunderbirds since 1954.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-10-05, 06:25 PM
its been struggleing ever since it grew those 2 extra seats ...going back to 2 seats was a bit much too late

Its sad tho , ive always like thunderbirds (except the "bulk bird" and the 4 door birds)

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 08:20 PM
Good design, GREAT Platform (DEW98), good power from a good engine, and relatively accurate homage to the original. Why did it fail then? Poor marketing. Unfortunately being that it was a Ford the car was relegated to the backlots of these high volume F150 and Taurus dealers, while the market that SHOULD HAVE been buying this car, was shopping over at the Lincoln Mercury stores.

Ralph
03-10-05, 08:23 PM
The new Mustang will more than make up for it in profits.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-10-05, 08:28 PM
Good design, GREAT Platform (DEW98), good power from a good engine, and relatively accurate homage to the original. Why did it fail then? Poor marketing. Unfortunately being that it was a Ford the car was relegated to the backlots of these high volume F150 and Taurus dealers, while the market that SHOULD HAVE been buying this car, was shopping over at the Lincoln Mercury stores.
Dont forget price too ....dealers are still trying to get big money over sticker for the cars ...and even msrp was too much for it ...

RealmCenter
03-10-05, 08:59 PM
You fellas can razz me, but I thought the 1967-1969 T-Bird was a cool looking car, suicide four door or coupe. My father in law bought one (coupe) new in 1969 drove it for one day and took it straight back to the dealer the next day for something else (didn't like the way it handled). Let us also not forget about how cool the '73 T-Bird was in the movie "The Crow" that was one mean ass looking car (almost as mean looking as the '68 Charger in Bullitt or "Blade's" Charger). I also like the Thunderbird SC of the late '80s, or was it early '90s? I never liked the Thunderbird based off the S-Type however, sorry guys. As far as the new T-Bird goes, good riddance it can join the Lincoln Blackwood in Ford's "bad ideas poorly executed" department.

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 09:01 PM
Yea, the price was pretty ridiculous, but many good clean low mileage 02's and 03's can be found now. I would not mind owning one.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-10-05, 09:13 PM
Yea, the price was pretty ridiculous, but many good clean low mileage 02's and 03's can be found now. I would not mind owning one.
have you seen the PCH (pacific coast highway)edition , very pretty :yup:

HotRodSaint
03-10-05, 09:54 PM
I'm thinking it would make a good used car value too. Low production numbers, good styling and decent performance.

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 10:20 PM
I'm thinking it would make a good used car value too. Low production numbers, good styling and decent performance.

Ya I know, In that vein it would be the perfect car for someone who not only did not want to spend 30k+ on a new Mustang, but also wanted a luxurious little convertible that doesnt look like every tom, dick and joes mustang down the street.

Stoney, Ill have to check out that PCH edition one, never heard of it.

illumina
03-10-05, 10:22 PM
Stoney, I happen to love those big-bodied '70's era boats...I may purchase one when I get some extra cash...Or an LTD like uncle Buck had :D

Ralph
03-10-05, 10:30 PM
that doesnt look like every tom, dick and joes mustang down the street.

But Tom, Dick, Joe and Ralphie will be VERY happy owning a new Mustang GT, white, torque thrusts and auto for wimpy Ralph. :lildevil:

I showed my Dad the new T-bird in the showroom last year. I like the aqua blue color, but this one was red with the red seats, top down, VERY nice, but the problem was the price at $55,000 Cdn! For the same $55,000 you get a "Base" deville and it has a back seat! Dad said, "Oh sure, it's nice enough, for a millionairre as a second car." :p

Personally I'd rather have a new GT Mustang because it has a back seat, and currently I've only seen a couple so they are still rare around here, and it's they styling it should have been years ago. No enthusiast can scoff at what the Mustang is NOW. Mods galore in the future if need be, and parts are cheap.

Ralphie's sold!

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 10:39 PM
Dude im not putting down the Mustang at all, its a beautiful car and a perfect execution, but the truth of the Mustang is like the Taurus, they will soon flood the market. Moreover, Im talking about getting a nice used Thunderbird, like an 02 or 03. I think they can be had for less than 23k with low miles. But yea, the new mustang is big time badass for sure.

Ralph
03-10-05, 10:46 PM
Dude im not putting down the Mustang at all, its a beautiful car and a perfect execution, but the truth of the Mustang is like the Taurus, they will soon flood the market. Moreover, Im talking about getting a nice used Thunderbird, like an 02 or 03. I think they can be had for less than 23k with low miles. But yea, the new mustang is big time badass for sure.

You know what, I wouldn't even care if the market is flooded with them. On previous testdrives it was the fun factor that sold me. I still think people should just buy what they want and not be worried about what the market analysts say about a car, unless it's junk. The beautiful styling is just a bonus, and when I buy a new car it will be for ME, and not anyone else. to judge me on, or because there are too many. ;) If there are too many, it's probably a good car. :yup:

I won't even worry about depreciation because it will be the "fun" car I want.

Not to change the topic but Ian, I just realized that the 300 Base model and touring model in Canada have 250 hp. I was just talking to a forum member and they said in the U.S. the base 300 only has 190 hp?? Go figure?

http://www.daimlerchrysler.ca/EN/CHRYSLER/1,,EN-CHRYSLER-300-MODELS,.html

Stoneage_Caddy
03-10-05, 10:49 PM
here you go :
http://f150.fordvehicles.com/assets/images/tbr/pcr_mainimage.jpg

http://f150.fordvehicles.com/cars/thunderbird/pcr/index.asp

thats the one im holding out for

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 10:50 PM
Well, I think I have never clearly explained to you why resale is so important to me, and that is no ones fault but my own. As you have noticed, I like to change cars fairly frequently. I still havent run across the car that I can say for SURE I want to keep for more than 2 or 3 years, and thats just the way I am. I love driving different vehicles and experiencing all the different car manufacturers have to offer. So for me, the resale is pretty important, because when I go to trade or sell, it makes all the difference between getting the shaft or doing ok on my trade.

Ill have to check on that 190hp rating for the 300, that doesnt sound right for some reason, I thought the base engine was 3.5L which should be well into the mid 200's.

Ralph
03-10-05, 10:56 PM
Ill have to check on that 190hp rating for the 300, that doesnt sound right for some reason, I thought the base engine was 3.5L which should be well into the mid 200's.

Maybe you're more fussy about cars than others? :sneaky: That's not a bad thing though. Remember, nothing's perfect, that's why we "settle" on ugly women too because nothing is perfect, not even cars. I pick a car and drive it, and I'm happy as long as the tranny doesn't fall out. Lexus is about the closest thing to perfection you can get!

Strange why the Canuck 300's would have more hp, if it's true?? (for the base model only)

T-Birds might even become collectable because they are so rare to begin with. Maybe they will hold value better because of the limited numbers, which is what I wish Cadillac would do to fight depreciation.

Adam
03-10-05, 10:58 PM
Look here:
http://www-5.chrysler.com/vehsuite/ModelSelector.jsp?vehicle=300&pid=u&adid=u&rid=u

FEATURES

Advanced Multi Staged Air Bags
190 HP 2.7 Litre V6
4 wheel Power Disc Brakes
Remote Keyless Entry with Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
Power 8-way driver seat with 60/40 Split Folding Rear Seat

and that is off of their website. (btw i was the forum member).

Ralph
03-10-05, 10:59 PM
Look here:

FEATURES

Advanced Multi Staged Air Bags
190 HP 2.7 Litre V6
4 wheel Power Disc Brakes
Remote Keyless Entry with Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
Power 8-way driver seat with 60/40 Split Folding Rear Seat

and that is off of their website. (btw i was the forum member).

Why would ours have more hp?? Doesn't make sense. :nyanya:

Adam
03-10-05, 11:01 PM
i dont know, i put the address on there to take you to it so you can see. that friggin sucks man. i could always use 60 more hp, ill figure out a way.

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 11:11 PM
Yea thats what I thought... its the 2.7L BASE V6, which doesnt account for most of the sales. The primary seller is the 3.5L V6 which is 250hp, and probably the base engine in Canada.

Now heres something weird... check out this edmunds.com summary page, it says ALL of the 300's are Limited Production run??

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/chrysler/300/index.html?tid=edmunds.n.mmindex.content.num1.0.ch rysler*

Ralph
03-10-05, 11:15 PM
Yea thats what I thought... its the 2.7L BASE V6, which doesnt account for most of the sales. The primary seller is the 3.5L V6 which is 250hp, and probably the base engine in Canada.

Now heres something weird... check out this edmunds.com summary page, it says ALL of the 300's are Limited Production run??

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/chrysler/300/index.html?tid=edmunds.n.mmindex.content.num1.0.ch rysler*

OK, that makes sense. We dropped the 2.7 as far as I know.

limited, that's strange.

DopeStar 156
03-11-05, 10:52 AM
The only thing I didn't like about the T-Bird was the engine. It had this tiny tiny V8 that made the HT4100 look like a beast. It was like a V6 with two more cylinders added. I'd have at least put the 4.6 in there. What's a T-Bird without the power?

davesdeville
03-11-05, 07:37 PM
The new T-Birds ran about a 15 flat in the quarter. They should've given the poor thing some balls.

Ralph
03-11-05, 07:41 PM
The new T-Birds ran about a 15 flat in the quarter. They should've given the poor thing some balls.

Wasn't it meant to be more of a touring car and not a muscle car?? I mean, they can't have it beat a Mustang, that would be just plain mean. :p

Vesicant
03-11-05, 07:51 PM
Was that the latest one with 287 hp or the older 250 hp one iirc ?

HotRodSaint
03-11-05, 08:39 PM
I mean, they can't have it beat a Mustang, that would be just plain mean. :p

A second owner could. :thumbsup:

Allante North *
03-16-05, 08:03 AM
I bought my wife a new 2004 Thunderbird about 7-8 months ago and she loves it. Triple Black Hardtop Convertible with all the button and bells. I get to pull it in and out of the garage and sometimes drive it to the gas station to fill the tank. I have not been able to sneek it to the track YET, but she told me that when it reopens in the spring we could line up the T-Bird and the Allante. I have to admit that the T-Bird may take the Caddy from my very limited driving of the T-Bird. I love the tranny in the T-Bird and the small V-8 is quite quick. I like the select shift(semi manual) transmission, but leaving it in drive get the job done very well. I tend to notice T-Birds more so now that we have one and I must admit that the Black is the best color in my opinion. I also prefer the hardtop on to the ragtop look. Something about the porthole that make the T-Bird stand out in a crowd. My dislikes about the car are the headroom. I'm only 5'10" and feel as though my head will hit the roof when I drive. As long as Momma is happy then I guess I'm happy.