: Dark Spots or Stains on Cadillac GRILL

cadillacst
07-31-13, 10:54 PM
Hi All,

I recently bought a Cadillac Grill and there is dark stains which I have tried to rub off with water and a cloth with no success. I was told it might be from bugs and that I should be careful what to use to remove it as it might also damage the paint coating.

I would appreciate any advice from others who have had this problem.

I have attached the photo, the spots are located on the bottom right (looking towards picture).

Thanks!

EChas3
08-01-13, 05:21 PM
I think you're right to proceed with caution. There's a lot in the owners manual about the clear-coat but my old Roadmaster's owners manual did a more complete treatise on care of appearance.

The following is from the 2007 STS manual on cleaning spots off interior plastics and should be a gentle starting point:

If a more thorough cleaning is necessary, a clean soft cloth dampened with a
mild soap solution can be used to gently remove dust and dirt. Never use spot lifters or removers
on plastic surfaces. Many commercial cleaners and coatings that are sold to preserve and protect
soft plastic surfaces may permanently change the appearance and feel of your interior and are
not recommended.

If mild soap doesn't do it, that old Buick manual recommended Bon Ami for cleaning glass. I used it wet on a lot more parts and it never scratched anything when wet.

When you examine the stains closely, is there any surface roughness? Is there a spot you won't see you can test on?

Good luck.

cadillacst
08-02-13, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. The surface from what I can feel is smooth. Unfortunately there is no hidden spots, but I will go ahead and try to put some Bon Ami on a small spot to test it out.

Thanks

EChas3
08-02-13, 04:58 PM
Have you already tried a real mild soap?

KRSTS
08-02-13, 06:12 PM
My guess would be that the plastic is permanently stained. You only alternative would be to repaint