: Replacing the alternator on 97 Deville Concours

brojake316
07-31-13, 11:52 PM
What's the easiest way to replace the alternator on a 97 Deville Concours thats without a heated windshield?

stoveguyy
08-01-13, 09:26 AM
its hard to reach. some remove rad cooling fans to ease access. its down low so its hard. having a shop do it is easy.

maeng9981
08-01-13, 11:21 PM
You can get it out through the bottom, but it's a tight fit. I believe some 97's have an "access door" you can remove at the bottom for better hand access. You will have to remove the cooling fans. It is not required to remove the radiator, but you can do it for more room. Either way, put a piece of cardboard on the radiator/condenser to protect the fins.

sdt1985
08-05-13, 11:49 PM
My '97 Seville has a plate on the bottom of the radiator support that you take off. If you rotate the alternator in just the right position, the alternator will fall on the ground. Now hopefully, you paid attention to it's position because that's how it has to go back in. Some engineer smoked a lot of gonga when he thought up that one.

stoveguyy
08-08-13, 11:18 AM
I know Seville has access plate but am not sure if deville does? Most say deville engine bay is bigger or deeper. But I think that is from motor to firewall, not motor to radiator .

bigtone
08-09-13, 05:15 PM
Not sure how much different a 97 is, but I changed the alternator on an 05 Deville. I removed the fans (in order to do so I had to drain the radiator and remove the lower hose) and I had all sorts of room in there. Now the last body style of Deville also had a removable top radiator support which really helped alot. Can't remember if the older style had that. At any rate, it was a piece of cake on the 05.