: transmission removal help please..for 84 coupe deville

CLEAN84CDV
03-09-05, 11:08 PM
I have a 84 coupe deville with the 4100 I was trying to remove the transmission tonight and was running into problems...what is the exact proccess, please help! every thing is disconnected from the transmission all 6 bolts from bell housing to engine are removed etc etc...but I can not get the transmission to part from the engine...please help...thank you

evilrussian
03-11-05, 04:29 PM
Make sure the torque converter is unbolted from the flexplate and the crossmember is out and the tranny should come right out. Get a screwdriver wedged between the engine and the tranny and after the gap is wide enough use a prybar, hope it helps :)

Destroyer
03-12-05, 12:00 PM
Make sure the torque converter is unbolted from the flexplate and the crossmember is out and the tranny should come right out. Get a screwdriver wedged between the engine and the tranny and after the gap is wide enough use a prybar, hope it helps :)
you did remove the driveshaft right? Make sure you get all the linkages off too. Good luck!

N0DIH
03-12-05, 01:33 PM
6 engine to trans bolts
3 flywheel to torque converter bolts
1 tailshaft to crossmember
4 crossmember to frame
2 cooler lines
1 electrical connector
1 shift linkage
1 TV cable
1 dipstick
1 driveshaft (4 bolts on the axle, slide out yoke)

Make sure when you unbolt converter that you push it back towards trans, it should go back a slight amount. They can rust the converter to the crank at the pilot hole, that little dimple, and hang on for dear life. On a manual car it is drilled and a pilot bearing (or sometimes a bushing) installed, but being Cadillac didn't sell too many HT4100 5 speeds :histeric: You won't have one there... Just becareful not to drop the converter off the end when you pull it out, and the tailshaft mail leak fluid if it leans back that way.

Once all is unbolted, the trans must come back around 1/2" or so to come off the dowels.

Make sure all listed is removed and disconnected and it should come out easily.

Tom