: Serpentine Belt Replacemt 2006 DTS

teckguy
07-31-13, 01:48 AM
Done many belts over the years but man this assembly is in a tight spot on these North Star V8s...any tricks removing the belt? Looks like I definitely need to purchase the thin belt tensioner removal tool since my 1/2 ratchet head does not have enough clearance to access the tensioner (hitting an A/C line in front of the tensioner). Thanks guys!!

BIGDADDYCADDY07
07-31-13, 06:56 AM
i would that will make it a whole lot easyer

amunderdog
07-31-13, 11:12 AM
Did you try 1/2" breaker bar?

teckguy
07-31-13, 07:51 PM
No...I don't have a breaker bar...only a kit of 4 assorted pry bars, unfortunately a different animal. Time to get a new tool then, there is a kit here at Canadian Tire that has a nice thin handle with 2 separate heads for belt tensioners.

Can this operation be done from top or best from the bottom...its really a tight fit.

amunderdog
08-01-13, 01:11 AM
It is a top and bottom job.
I find finishing from bottom at idler pulley works for me.
But that means a helper holding the tensioner pulley.

tjwhite721
08-01-13, 06:09 AM
Which belt are you using to replace? OEM or Aftermarket?

Superjim
08-01-13, 09:11 AM
If I were replacing mine... I would go OEM.
My car is a 2006 with almost 132,000 miles.
That means the OEM belt has been good for over 7 years and a lot of miles...
Why would I want to use anything else that I have no idea about how long it will last??
"IF" the aftermarket one didn't last long... I would be doing the job again in a couple of years...

teckguy
08-01-13, 10:26 PM
Was thinking the Prestone Belt $32.99 here...its Canada we pay way to much for everything automotive, hate to see what the dealer would charge. Used this belt on my C6 and Jimmy and they are both running strong....they simply get dry over the years.

Product Number : 114-0220-6
Manufacturer Part Number : 830K6
Brand : Prestone
Comments : ACCESSORY DRIVE - w/o HD COOLING - TOP WIDTH (IMPERIAL): 0.8 - TOP WIDTH (METRIC): 20 - LENGTH (IMPERIAL): 83 - LENGTH (METRIC): 2108 - MATERIAL: SYNTHETIC RUBBER - RIBS: 6 - METRIC PART NUMBER: 6PK2108

----------

Any tricks with that AC line beside the tensioner in tight? Maybe loosen its clips and push over a bit? I agree on the helper from below, great idea!!

Was thinking remove the purge tank and upper dog bone to make extra space...overkill? I am going to change out the 7 year old coolant also by disconnecting the lower rad hose anyways in addition.

teckguy
08-03-13, 11:22 PM
Any more thoughts on the AC line in front of the tensioner? Will it take some movement without problems?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

BIGDADDYCADDY07
08-04-13, 09:10 AM
No...I don't have a breaker bar...only a kit of 4 assorted pry bars, unfortunately a different animal. Time to get a new tool then, there is a kit here at Canadian Tire that has a nice thin handle with 2 separate heads for belt tensioners.

Can this operation be done from top or best from the bottom...its really a tight fit.

do it from the top you may have to remove the torque strut but that i believe is a 18 mm bolt the belt will be tight to get over the pulley but you can do it btw you picked the right tool

teckguy
08-04-13, 09:50 AM
Excellent !! Thank you :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

teckguy
08-08-13, 11:55 PM
Well that is another project off the list, definitely a 2 person job and the tool in this thread was definitely the key. BTW Princess Auto here in Canada have that same tool for $22 :) I managed to leave the torque strut in place and had my 15 year old son work the belt over the bottom pulleys as I adjusted the tension and slid the belt over the tensioner and top pulleys.

The squeal at start-up is definitely gone however, I still hear every once an a while what sounds like belt noise from the back middle of the motor. The water pump belt on the front right side is absolutely silent and I know the middle back of the motor only has the plugs and fuel rails...the noise can only be heard with the hood open only by ear even with a warm motor...my mechanics stethoscope cannot pickup anything unusual but to the ear it sounds like belt noise that comes and goes faintly. Any ideas? NorthStar engines are new to me.

Superjim
08-09-13, 12:03 AM
Well that is another project off the list, definitely a 2 person job and the tool in this thread was definitely the key. BTW Princess Auto here in Canada have that same tool for $22 :) I managed to leave the torque strut in place and had my 15 year old son work the belt over the bottom pulleys as I adjusted the tension and slid the belt over the tensioner and top pulleys.

The squeal at start-up is definitely gone however, I still hear every once an a while what sounds like belt noise rom the back middle of the motor. The water pump belt on the front right side is absolutely silent and I know the middle back of the motor only has the plugs and fuel rails...the noise can only be heard with the hood open only by ear even with a warm motor...my mechanics stethoscope cannot pickup anything unusual but to the ear it sounds like belt noise that comes and goes faintly. Any ideas? NorthStar engines are new to me.

Probably would have been a good idea to replace the idler pulley while you had the belt off.
On older models... they go out fairly regularly...

teckguy
08-09-13, 01:23 AM
I totally agree and I usually replace the idler pulley and tensioner however, the car only has about 26,000 miles on it. Next go round for sure.