: Brake rotors which to get

the cadillac man
07-30-13, 07:12 PM
Ok I am in need of new brake rotors soon on the rear axle(maybe new pads)
Which kind are some you guys using

I am thinking of a drilled rotor set but I like the looks of the slotted and drilled set

I am getting them from the r1 concepts vendor on here

MrHolland
07-30-13, 10:18 PM
Although not from a "local" vendor, I've enjoyed rotors from brake performance. I opted for slotted and dimpled, they have a great warranty.

MoistCabbage
07-30-13, 10:32 PM
If you're making consecutive high speed stops, or towing down long hills, you might benefit from slotted rotors. There's really no benefit to the weight savings of cross drilled rotors on a in a full size SUV. Also, realize that the more slots, dimples, and/or holes in the rotors, the less surface area there is. Which means braking force will be REDUCED.

Solid or slotted rotors, and some performance ceramic pads would be the best way to go.

Also, if you're changing the rotors, you NEED to install new pads.

the cadillac man
07-30-13, 11:57 PM
So far I have just got a price list as I am still shopping around
I will be looking at many different places

I see someone has posted another vendor so I will check them out

Again I am going to get new pads to go with the new rotors(the ones on the truck may be worn by then)

Keep the suggestions coming guys as I don't want to get just anything on the truck only to have trouble later on

My rear rotors are due to be changed and I wish I had done when I had the rear brakes changed
The heavy pulsing is getting annoying and I know its not the abs alone

I do tow a trailer sometimes that's why I started the thread so I can get some guidance to make my decision

mikedyk43
07-31-13, 01:00 AM
Have you considered just getting the stock rotors turned (resurfaced)? Had my rotors turned a little while back for about $25 a piece. Good as new...

the cadillac man
07-31-13, 01:59 AM
Have you considered just getting the stock rotors turned (resurfaced)? Had my rotors turned a little while back for about $25 a piece. Good as new...

They can't as I asked last time I had it in the shop(too thin to resurface) the mechanic said it would cause other problems(not sure on that)

Resurfacing was my first option but the rotors are too far gone to do that

My front brakes (as odd as it sounds) have yet to give me an issue I do keep a check on them though along with the rear
I have ceramic pads in the rear brakes and I broke them in properly(hard to do in a area with a lot of stop and go traffic some times)for the first few weeks hence why I am trying to get new rotors now before its time to replace the rear brakes again

MoistCabbage
07-31-13, 03:19 AM
Again, if you replace the rotors, you have to use brand new pads, regardless of how old the current ones are.

the cadillac man
07-31-13, 12:20 PM
Again, if you replace the rotors, you have to use brand new pads, regardless of how old the current ones are.

I know I am going to get the pads before I have the rotors put on the truck
I am just going to wait till the pads on the rear wears out(they still have half the material left)

I am going to replace my park brakes at the same time(they haven't held since I got the truck)

flyingdutchman
08-01-13, 11:05 AM
Centric

the cadillac man
08-01-13, 01:24 PM
Centric

????

----------

Never mind I google searched it

caddydaddy
08-01-13, 08:11 PM
I installed EBC - 3GD Sport Rotors (GD7047) on the front with EBC pads. Stops really well now!

the cadillac man
08-01-13, 08:41 PM
I installed EBC - 3GD Sport Rotors (GD7047) on the front with EBC pads. Stops really well now!

Is it possible you can provide a link for them?

caddydaddy
08-01-13, 08:52 PM
Is it possible you can provide a link for them?

Sure, here is where I bought them. They seemed to have the best price.

http://thmotorsports.com/ebc_brakes/ebc_brake_rotors_3gd_sport_rotors/g-63415.aspx

MoistCabbage
08-01-13, 08:54 PM
You can also try www.placeforbrakes.com. Use the discount code at the top of the page.

caddydaddy
08-02-13, 10:08 AM
You can also try www.placeforbrakes.com. Use the discount code at the top of the page.

I didn't see the discount code, but they wanted $74 a set more than the place I listed.