: Everyone here, pay attention. If you EVER need parts, Chris @ Rippy is THE MAN

mckellyb
07-30-13, 02:08 PM
I've been pulling my hair out for several days, now, looking for a freakin' 5L50E valve body.

There is one place (!) in the country which rebuilds them, and they have -0- because there is no stock to rebuild/refurbish.

Called a local dealer, after calling two other large transmission shops, nobody has one, it has to come from Lansing. Okay. Whoa, how much?! Plus tax on that, too. Was $750, and I was going to have to drive 20 miles, each way, to get it...in a week.

Chris, though... I sent him a PM from the forum, yesterday, he got back to me a couple of hours later, talked to his transmission guy about my woes after I detailed them, trying to make sure I wasn't headed down the wrong road, and he said, "I can get you one, price is $560."

Done...and done.

Called him this AM, order is in with GM. Shipping is $15, and he said it'll take, at most, a week. I've got my fingers crossed for Friday, but I'll take it when I get it!

RockAuto, those evil bastards (I still have a pair of Mercedes W124 lower control arms which were flat-out the wrong ones for the '94-'95 model year, though RA claims they fit, so they refused the return), wanted $526, no idea on shipping, and it was going to be the same week from everyone.

Chris, though, he has service guys he can talk to, and while my problem is in the mushy middle of "could be any one of a bunch of things, the only way to know is to tear it down", he still asked his transmission guy, who said he'd seen something similar, before, but didn't remember exactly what it was.

In my sheesh, 30 years of vehicle ownership, this was the most pleasant parts buying experience EVER!!

Seriously, If you need parts, PM Chris. He's good people.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to have to do this, but I'm glad it was him.

Oh, and no core, so I'm sending mine off to the rebuilder, after I convince them to do just mine. :D

1BadCadSTS
07-30-13, 02:15 PM
^x2!

orange57
07-30-13, 11:32 PM
So how much do you have invested in your trans refresh? When I had to replace mine a new trans from the stealer was only $1900.

cadillacst
08-01-13, 02:31 AM
New here, how do I search and find Chris and PM him? I am looking for a 08 lower grill, will he have this?

Thanks

mckellyb
08-01-13, 11:44 AM
orange57, so far, transmission parts cost, not including fluid, has been...

About $780, but some of that is duplication of parts I very likely did not have to do. Pan gasket & filter, most notably. The solenoids, it may turn out, was $127 'wasted', but I do have a full set of new ones. The valve body, alone, was $560 of that. I still plan to ship my old valve body off, if it turns out to the the problem, to be refurbished.

I shopped around here, trans alone, is $2,800, plus another few hundred to R/R. I'm still not horribly deep into 'that was the wrong path to take', territory.

cadillacst, send a PM to here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=60673

orange57
08-01-13, 02:56 PM
I guess that's not too bad. My dealer wanted around another $900-1100 for the R/R. I decided to do it myself.

The trans was covered under warranty, labor wouldn't have been though. Does make me wonder if one of those solenoids was the issue. My trans was showing high pressure that wouldn't allow it to engage 4th, so it would essentially stumble, find 3rd again and the go to 5th. Dealer said to fix was basicall the same cost as the whole trans, so opted for that option. Maybe they were mistaken on the diagnosis.

mckellyb
08-01-13, 03:07 PM
That weird gear shuffle I've heard before, and I have it a bit, too. It'll be in 4th, then go to 3rd, then 5th.

I dunno.

Actually, I think I was misquoted, or don't remember, the right number on the R/R, 'cause $1K sounds more like it.

If mine were under warranty, I'd swap it, myself, but being as it's me paying for both parts and labor, well, my labor is free...kinda.

I think my 4th gear started disengaging under moderate acceleration this AM. I'm going to baby it home, and change it all out this weekend...the valve body, that is.

I really don't want to replace the entire trans, but from what I've seen, rebuild parts cost about as much as one which is plug-n-play.

EChas3
08-01-13, 08:05 PM
To echo McKelly,

From OEM wiper blades & filters to any STS part of need, Chris @ Rippy's is your guy. Now, it may be the assembly as sold rather than some little bit at a smokin' price, but he can often source those, too. If someone beats his price, consider the GM warranty and the value of doing business with good people.

cadillacst
08-02-13, 06:57 AM
Thank you. Appreciate it.