: New issues ... Steering wheel / Brakes

Ludacrisvp
07-30-13, 12:04 PM
Issue #1: Heated Steering Wheel
-------------
About a week or so ago I decided to test out the theory that the Heated steering wheel doesn't operate if the car is warm (it was like a 90F+ day).
First click on the button did nothing, so I did a long press and the heated wheel turned on and heated up.

So the other day on the way in to work it was a little chilly out ~55F or so and I was like I'll turn on the wheel to take the edge off and it doesn't work at all.
Then at the end of the day I figure I'll take it to the dealer, get in the car and press the button and works fine (inside the car was rather hot, DIC showed EXT temp at 95F since it was sitting in the sun all day). On the way home yesterday I tried it again (and it was around 80F on the DIC) so the wheel was already hot and it worked, on the way in today it just flicked on for a 1/10th of a second and when out no matter what I tried. It hasn't worked since.

I can't imagine that it would or could be a fuse since it was working then stopped then worked again then stopped, then worked again and stopped.
Its like it works if the wheel is hot already so it must have some broken wires that connect when they heat up.

So in the middle of the summer I'll be at the dealer trying to get a new heated wheel, hope they still make mine.

-------------

Issue #2: Brakes
-------------
Also on the way in today the DIC flashed "CHECK BRAKE FLUID" very briefly and then "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY", "SERVICE BRAKE ASSIST", "SERVICE STABILITY SYS"
Why does this car seem to hate me so much?

I was a block or so from work when this happened at sub 30MPH speeds, fluid level seems fine to me.
It isn't at MAX level but it certainly didn't seem to be low to me.

I guess it just means I should do that Brake job I planned to do a while back.
I bought a set of black zinc coated slotted and drilled rotors and new pads for all 4 wheels from brakeperformance.com for ~$400 (free shipping).

So if the level is actually low and it is tripping some sensor regarding the level it won't really matter much since it will refill itself just by re-compressing the brakes' pistons.
And I'll have to maybe 'top it off' then too depending on what kind of work I put into the brakes since they make that annoying creaking / crunching / cracking noise while using the brakes.
There is the TSB about lubing the caliper pins that supposedly fixes this but we shall see, I remain skeptical about it fixing the issue.

I've got JE5 brakes in this car, any tips? pitfalls? things to avoid / watch out for?

KRSTS
07-30-13, 01:12 PM
Sounds like there was intermittent resistance in the heating element in the wheel that finally failed. Same thing happened to mine and it is a common problem with the 08's. Good luck finding a wheel. If your interior is cashmere, that supplier went TU years ago.

Ludacrisvp
07-30-13, 01:20 PM
If your interior is cashmere, that supplier went TU years ago.
It certainly is cashmere interior in mine unfortunately (I wanted black interior but couldn't find one with the other options I wanted).
I might have to see if they will get a heated wheel of that color and swap over my buttons if one of those exist.

Alden's Daddy
07-30-13, 02:27 PM
In my boredom last night I did an "07 Cadillac STS" search and if my memory serves me right I think I remember a few cashmere heated wheels minus airbags.

----------

****eBay search... Sorry

Ludacrisvp
07-30-13, 02:37 PM
Well I have a service contract that should hopefully cover the wheel issue. So eBay would be a last choice since who knows how many of those have bad wheels.
But more importantly the 07 wheel is a different physical and electrical design compared to the 08+

GM parts direct lists a wheel that is the options I need but doesn't say what color it is.

[ 1 ] STEERING COLUMN / STEERING COLUMN / STEERING WHEEL / STEERING WHEEL
steering wheel STS; w/Heated Wheel; w/Adaptive Cruise
Order By Description.

MSRP
$786.91

Online Price
$466.48

I like how adaptive cruise makes the wheel 2x the price.

1BadCadSTS
07-30-13, 03:15 PM
Get the one without then.

Switches can easily be transferred over to the new wheel.

Also make sure its wood or no wood.

Ludacrisvp
07-30-13, 03:42 PM
Since it doesn't say I'll bet that is the main difference in price.
I would venture a guess that all adaptive cruise cars came with wood wheel and not all heated wheels have wood.

Would be nice to see some part numbers but oh well I'll just have to hope that the dealer can get the right wheel if the service contract covers it that is.
Otherwise I'll probably pay a visit over to Rippy's phoneline / PM with Chris to see what he can do.

Heated Steering Wheel

The heated steering wheel system consists of a heated steering wheel, a heated steering wheel switch, and a steering wheel heat module.
The heated steering wheel includes a non-serviceable heating element and temperature sensor. The heating element and sensor are located in the rim of the steering wheel.
The heated steering wheel switch is located in the steering wheel switch bezel. The steering wheel heat module is located on the backside of the steering wheel center hub.
When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the controller and the heated steering wheel is turned ON. The system then remains ON until the customer turns it OFF.
The wheels normal operating temperature is 32C (89.6F). The wheel takes approximately 3-4 minutes to reach the normal operating temperature.
The wheel will take longer to heat up if the vehicle temperature is below -21C (-5.8F).
The built-in temperature sensor provides input to the controller to limit the temperature to the normal operating temperature.
The wheel will not operate if the vehicle temperature is at or above 32C (89.6F).

^^^ since my wheel seems to work when it is certainly warmer than this in the car it only makes sense that there is some kind of failure causing it to read the wrong resistance values.

Ludacrisvp
07-30-13, 06:13 PM
Stopped by the dealer on the way home ... they said they couldn't find any wheels around the area but would call me if they could locate one.
I'm not expecting a call, when I mentioned possibly getting the non-ACC version and swapping the switches he kind of gave me a look that was like "yeah ... I don't think we can do that".
eBay has a non-ACC version wheel for $200 + shipping, no idea if the heater works or not.

He didn't bother calling to see if the wheel would be covered since they don't have any available.

1BadCadSTS
07-30-13, 06:30 PM
08+ wheels aren't d/ced. Talk to rippy

Ludacrisvp
07-30-13, 07:07 PM
08+ wheels aren't d/ced. Talk to rippy
Interesting ... I pm'd Chris @ Rippy to see what he can find.

ddalder
07-30-13, 11:56 PM
I've posted on many occasions that my dealership shows stock on many of the 08+ wheels in GM's warehouse(s). This myth running around the forum that all 2005+ heated steering wheels are not available is just that, a myth. 2005-07 perhaps, but 2008+ stock has not dried up. If your dealer doesn't think you can swap controls, your dealer clearly doesn't understand how these are constructed. You can purchase each set of switches independently of the wheel so that in itself is a pretty clear indication they are replaceable.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-31-13, 03:58 PM
Issue #1: Heated Steering Wheel
-------------
About a week or so ago I decided to test out the theory that the Heated steering wheel doesn't operate if the car is warm (it was like a 90F+ day).
First click on the button did nothing, so I did a long press and the heated wheel turned on and heated up.

So the other day on the way in to work it was a little chilly out ~55F or so and I was like I'll turn on the wheel to take the edge off and it doesn't work at all.
Then at the end of the day I figure I'll take it to the dealer, get in the car and press the button and works fine (inside the car was rather hot, DIC showed EXT temp at 95F since it was sitting in the sun all day). On the way home yesterday I tried it again (and it was around 80F on the DIC) so the wheel was already hot and it worked, on the way in today it just flicked on for a 1/10th of a second and when out no matter what I tried. It hasn't worked since.

I can't imagine that it would or could be a fuse since it was working then stopped then worked again then stopped, then worked again and stopped.
Its like it works if the wheel is hot already so it must have some broken wires that connect when they heat up.

So in the middle of the summer I'll be at the dealer trying to get a new heated wheel, hope they still make mine.

-------------

Issue #2: Brakes
-------------
Also on the way in today the DIC flashed "CHECK BRAKE FLUID" very briefly and then "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY", "SERVICE BRAKE ASSIST", "SERVICE STABILITY SYS"
Why does this car seem to hate me so much?

I was a block or so from work when this happened at sub 30MPH speeds, fluid level seems fine to me.
It isn't at MAX level but it certainly didn't seem to be low to me.

I guess it just means I should do that Brake job I planned to do a while back.
I bought a set of black zinc coated slotted and drilled rotors and new pads for all 4 wheels from brakeperformance.com for ~$400 (free shipping).

So if the level is actually low and it is tripping some sensor regarding the level it won't really matter much since it will refill itself just by re-compressing the brakes' pistons.
And I'll have to maybe 'top it off' then too depending on what kind of work I put into the brakes since they make that annoying creaking / crunching / cracking noise while using the brakes.
There is the TSB about lubing the caliper pins that supposedly fixes this but we shall see, I remain skeptical about it fixing the issue.

I've got JE5 brakes in this car, any tips? pitfalls? things to avoid / watch out for?

Hello,

I am deeply sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your vehicle. Can we be of any assistance?

Sincerely,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

dnett
07-31-13, 06:43 PM
I changed the front brake pads on my '06 N* with JE5 brakes a couple of months ago. It was BY FAR the easiest pad replacement I have ever done - and I have changed the brakes myself in all of the vehicles I have ever owned. Once I got the wheel off, it took no more than 5-10 minutes to change out the pads. Granted, I didn't replace the clips, but they looked fine. Hope it's as easy in your '08.

Ludacrisvp
07-31-13, 07:21 PM
My pads came with new clips, and I have that terrible creaking noise in my calipers so I'll have to do some extra work instead of just pads :(

ddalder
07-31-13, 10:46 PM
I would venture a guess that all adaptive cruise cars came with wood wheel and not all heated wheels have wood.
Nope. I have adaptive cruise and mine is all leather, no wood. When I asked my dealership, they list two possibilities under my VIN. One has wood and one doesn't. I have the N31 RPO which doesn't have wood.

Ludacrisvp
08-01-13, 08:01 AM
Nope. I have adaptive cruise and mine is all leather, no wood. When I asked my dealership, they list two possibilities under my VIN. One has wood and one doesn't. I have the N31 RPO which doesn't have wood.
I too have N31 RPO but mine certainly has the wood on it.

PontiacV8
08-01-13, 10:13 AM
I too have N31 RPO but mine certainly has the wood on it.

hmm...dito...also got N31, it's heated and has wood...

...btw...RPO decoder and compnine says:
N31 - STEERING WHEEL HEATED

...but RPO dealer print out (GM's dealer online vehicle information by VIN) for my car says:
N31 - HEATED, WOOD STEERING WHEEL

1BadCadSTS
08-01-13, 10:20 AM
These was a shortage of the wheels in 08 due to change over I believe. There was a $100 refund given to owners. Pretty sure I read that on here.

Ludacrisvp
08-01-13, 10:58 AM
Ah I was going to say since I think ddalder had an early production 08 that maybe there was a bit of a mixup / unavailable parts on the production line at the time of manufacturing.
So to match his RPO list he _should_ have a wood wheel.

ddalder
08-01-13, 03:41 PM
Ah I was going to say since I think ddalder had an early production 08 that maybe there was a bit of a mixup / unavailable parts on the production line at the time of manufacturing.
So to match his RPO list he _should_ have a wood wheel.
Yup, I suppose that's a possibility. My build sheet shows:

"N31 - HEATED & LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL"

I was sure I'd read some other build sheets that specified a Sapele wood insert which is why I had come to that conclusion about the N31 RPO. It seems that there may be different variations, or as Ludacrisvp says, mine was a very early production car.

----------

Okay, I think I've found what I was reading... I also have the following RPO:

"B20 - SAPELE WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE, SHIFT KNOB. INSTRUMENT PANEL, DOOR TRIM AND STEERING WHEEL"

So when I saw the N31 RPO which didn't state wood, I assumed it was an override to the B20 specification (similar to spoiler being deleted in the AWD model).

KRSTS
08-01-13, 05:07 PM
Mine is a very early build 2008 (05/25/2007) and I have the leather and wood heated wheel. My build sheet says it is part of the 1SB luxury package "heated and leather wrapped steering wheel, & sapele wood trim on steering wheel."

B1n2fra
08-02-13, 08:57 PM
My heating steering wheel only works when it's hot out. Days I don't need it

Ludacrisvp
08-02-13, 09:20 PM
My heating steering wheel only works when it's hot out. Days I don't need it

Sounds like the same failure I have.

Ludacrisvp
08-08-13, 02:01 PM
So in my continuing issues on this car I discovered that the rear driver MRC shock/strut is leaking fluid.
<(accompanied by Speed Limited to 120MPH) - with no aftermarket addons in the car (no lockpick, no iSimple Audio Gateway)>

My service contract will not cover this issue.
(I called their customer service line about this after the Caddy dealer called me to say the service contract company wouldn't cover it)

Their reasoning being that the rear suspension is a shock and they don't cover shock absorbers.

I asked why the front two were covered and the rear is not.

Their response was that the front ones are struts and the rear ones are shocks.

GM lists the part numbers of both front and rear just as 'absorbers' so what are they really?

Just seems really odd that they replaced the front two but are refusing to replace the rear ones.

GMPD.com calls the rear one a shock and the front one a strut
[ 19 ] REAR SUSPENSION / REAR SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / Shock
shock STS, w/variable time damping Left

MSRP
$648.60

Online Price
$337.27

The dealer mentioned that the service contract company didn't believe him that it was bad nor was the reason that I took the car in.
They also questioned why the car was in for a bad heated wheel in the middle of summer.
(I took photos of the leaking strut while I was doing the brake job and this is what prompted me to come in)

The dealer is quoting me about $900 - $1k installed for the rear "shock" with an alignment as well.
They said the part is around $600 so it lines up well enough with MSRP above.

Chris / Rippy, would you mind getting me a quote for driver rear MRC shock / strut ?
Also, do you know if there is anything that does reference this as a strut that is official GM documentation that would help convince them?
The alldata information I have calls both front and rear shocks and struts.

I'm probably going to try seeing if another dealer has better luck with the service contract company before giving up and buying one.

Side note:
They said they will have the heated steering wheel in Tuesday night.

Ludacrisvp
08-15-13, 05:11 PM
So the wrong wheel was ordered or shipped (one of the two) dealer says the warranty company sent the wrong one and warranty company said dealer ordered the wrong one.
The full leather one was the one that arrived.

Dealer calls me up and said "the wrong wheel is here we could put it on or you can pay $75 to ship it back and get the right one in".
My response was "I fail to see how this is my problem at all; I didn't order the wrong wheel or any part for that matter"
Some chatting then they said I needed to get it taken care of with the warranty company. So I call them they said the dealer gave us the part number for the full leather wheel so that is what was sent and we have told the dealer this several times already today.
So I call the dealer back and they eventually decided to "take care of it".
Seemed like complete BS to involve me in their mistake.

I got a call back a couple hours later saying the wheel would be in Thursday morning.

It happened, (to my surprise) the correct wheel showed up and is installed now. That new leather sure is soft and since it came with new buttons I no longer have a little chunk of missing chrome between the buttons.

Now I still have to deal with the bad shock but that will be another day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)