: The new Polaris RZR that I have been working on for a year finally got launched.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-30-13, 10:12 AM
I am sure most of you know I am an engineer for Polaris. I have been working on this new RZR 1000 for over a year and it got released last night so I finally get to talk about this. It is so choice! This is a complete game changer in the industry. This is the most badass thing I have ever ridden in/driven. I want one in the worse way. The part of my job that sucks is not being able to talk about new product until the launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NJ1vA12rAk

^ suck it Arctic Cat!

truckinman
07-30-13, 10:46 AM
I've wanted a Razr for so long! Those are amazing little side by sides! Best I've ever seen offroad. Very stable and extremely capable.

Kingoftypos
07-30-13, 12:01 PM
Awesome looking my friend. If I may make one suggestion... The passenger's "ohshit handle". It should be bent downwards so that the passenger can have a more comfortable grip on it. Kind of like a weight lifting bar, such as one of the bottom three...

http://www.bebodysmart.com/mmDEF/Images/BarsWeightlifting.jpg

You might not of been a part of that, but it would cool to see that in later production models.

It does seem to be a CTS with a open cabin and off roading capabilities. lol

KOT

HAZZARDJOHN
07-30-13, 12:17 PM
I wanted a fake steering wheel on that side!

CadillacLuke24
07-30-13, 05:34 PM
The passenger's "ohshit handle".

KOT

:rofl:

That should be the official name!

Kingoftypos
07-30-13, 08:36 PM
:rofl:

That should be the official name!

Ever since I was 8, that is all that I known it to be. lol

KOT

orconn
07-30-13, 09:13 PM
WE used to call them "Panic Handle" in the sports car world. Most European cars came equipped with them long before they were available on American cars.

drewsdeville
07-30-13, 09:54 PM
Don't know about these contraptions, but IMO, just about everyone else makes a better sled than Polaris... Never again will they be what they were in the '80's. After getting dominated by Arctic Cat in the '90's, most impressive ground made up by Bombardier, and some recent, top notch 4 stroke equipment from Yamaha, they're getting buried!

:stirpot:

HAZZARDJOHN
07-30-13, 10:30 PM
Sleds are money losers. No one buy sleds anymore. That being said, I disagree with your opinion. I've seen the tests (yes we test the competition) and arctic cat is junk (arctic cat is in trouble with quality) and the only real competition is Ski Doo. 4 stroke sleds are for amateurs. There is a reason we do over 3 Billion in sales and growing and Arctic cat barely tops 500 million. But like I said, Snowmobiles are money wasters. People do not spend money on sleds like they did in the 70's. All companies are only pushing development for enthusiasts and to keep up with the market. Innovation is in the off road market. Plus Polaris of 1980's has little to nothing to do with Polaris today. I will say if you say Polaris snow is junk we must be doing something right though. Whenever Drew likes something it is bound to be a disaster!

drewsdeville
07-30-13, 10:45 PM
I don't even consider quality/reliability when comparing brands. The way/amount I ride them, it's my opinion that there's no such thing as a quality, reliable snowmobile. I've repeatedly had trouble with all of them, and expect trouble with all of them at this point. That said, my opinions omit this, and I've based them on my own perceived performance on the lengthy, grueling weeks spent in the U.P., and I just don't see Polaris remaining competitive. The next man may experience otherwise. And yes, it's a tough market as far as profitability. All of that snowmobile stuff aside, I enjoyed the Scrambler 800 very much!

HAZZARDJOHN
07-30-13, 10:58 PM
Like I said, if you don't like it they must be good. Polaris is making the best sleds they have ever made right now and that is fine with me. I am proud of what we do and I know we are the only company making the kind of profits and investing in innovative products right now. The other manufacturers are just playing catchup. Polaris is going to be a completely different company in many more markets in the next decade mark my words. I know you're ignorant on this stuff and I wish I could pounce on you with facts I know, but I love my job too much. I know there are big things coming.

drewsdeville
07-30-13, 11:09 PM
hey don't get me wrong...if big things are coming in the next decade, that's great! The consumer always benefits from increased competition one way or another. I'm not putting down Polaris as a whole (again, have had decent experiences with their ATV's), I just don't think much of their current lineup of sleds! Hope they are part of those big future plans. You can go ahead and smother me with your in-house facts if it'll be a therapeutic experience for you, but they won't make me remember my recent disappointing outings with Polaris sleds as any more enjoyable!

StretchASU
08-01-13, 10:22 PM
Pretty cool that you're an engineer for these things. I have been beating on them and building them as backups to our rock crawlers and race rigs since they were first released. With that said, we have been good at finding weaknesses. Some questions I have that you would have better insight on than the standard people that review these things.

1. In the past the stock cages have had poor triangulation and thin walled tubing, yes they are lightweight vehicles but they see 55+mph speeds, hills and descents that really push the limits of the vehicles. IMO, when will we get a cage capable of protecting the riders better in event of a mishap at speed or on a hill? I mean something in the range of 1.75x.120wall tubing. Some simple additions that would make the factory cages last longer would be as simple as an "X" or "V" in the B-Pillar hoop and some windshield spreader bars. Its a hard pill to swallow to invest $20k into something only to have to build a custom cage for it after the first roll or hard flop.

2. With the 1000, how has the problematic front differential been addressed? I dont mean torque loads, I mean shock loads generated when the driver doesnt let off the throttle and the front wheels hit and gain traction under throttle. From what we have seen with them its the shock loading that seems to rip up front diffs in these.

All in all, I am pumped to see this thing come out. Even if I have gotten out of the off road game for a while. I don't mean these questions in a way to offend you or your design team, just looking for a little more insight as to what Polaris is or may put into these things since the whole SxS sport is booming and people continue to push the limits of these.

Johnxlrv
08-04-13, 08:36 AM
Goofy question though...can they tow? While the video is great, some tamed down hunting use, drop the meat trailer and have a bit of fun, certainly seems doable. Heck, if they were street legal, I would have this image of veering off of my commute route everyday to tear up some terrain.

Really a fan of Polaris (thinking of a pair of 780slt jet skis that a bunch of us could never kill)

Back to the tow question...and seat restraints. Now before you all do the :face palm, some commercial industries would consider buying a dozen of these for a "spill response" and having safety standards that do not necessarily have to make sense...been there, done that & would consider the Polaris on my requisition if it could meet the industry standards.

So, fuel range?, heaters?