: trans ?

slayu2day
07-30-13, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, me again LOL.. well, I fix one issue, then another pops up. Ok, this one is big. I was driving home and a block from home, trans started to slip. Within a half a mile, it was completly gone. I just got home and in my parking spot. I lost all forward gears and reverse. I have never had a trans do that. Its not low on fluid. Is there a fuse, or a soleniod or a vacume module or something that would do this ? I hope I don't need a whole trans.

silverfox103
07-30-13, 06:50 AM
When the transmission goes on these things, Caddies, Buicks and Chevies with the same tranny, it usually means a replacement or a rebuild. You don't know how lucky you are that you made it home. My Caprice wagon with that same tranny, let go 700 miles from home. I had to have it flat bedded home. I was lucky I had stockpiled a tranny that had 80K on it, that I paid $140; it still cost $500 to R & R it, but I was happy.

Tom

csbuckn
07-30-13, 09:59 AM
Sounds like the pump maybe. How does the fluid smell?

turbojimmy
07-30-13, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately that's going to need to come out and probably rebuilt. Once they start slipping, the damage happens fast.

If you find a used one, make sure it's from the same model year. Trust me, you don't want to go down the path of interchanging different year transmissions.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-31-13, 07:51 AM
A blown fuse will not cause no movement.
If the pump broke, the fluid will be too high on the stick.

turbojimmy
07-31-13, 08:09 AM
Here's a link to help with the diagnosis:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l60e-problems-and-solutions-297698/

See #21.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-31-13, 10:33 AM
The strange part is the slipping.
Usually when the pump breaks, there is no slip. It just stops moving.
First, check to see if you have the swedged rubber damper drive shaft.
http://image.hotrod.com/f/techarticles/9515407+w195/p155504_image_large.jpg
I don't remember which cars had these, but it may feel like a slip before it goes.

slayu2day
08-04-13, 06:13 AM
what will have to be done to put in a 7004r trans in my fleetwood ?

Aztec ETC ECS
08-04-13, 10:02 AM
Why? It's mechanically the same. Just no solenoids. No advantage.
You would need a cable. Lockup would not work properly. MIL would be on.

turbojimmy
08-04-13, 10:51 AM
You need to find a '94 trans out of a Caprice, Roadmaster, F-body or Fleetwood. I found Craigslist was a good source.

I happened to have a '96 trans laying around when my '94 trans quit. I was able to make it work, but the work involved is not for the faint of heart.

jayoldschool
08-04-13, 02:32 PM
If he gets one from an F body, he will need to swap his tailshaft on to the new trans.

turbojimmy
08-04-13, 02:36 PM
If he gets one from an F body, he will need to swap his tailshaft on to the new trans.

Yes tailshaft housing - good point.

slayu2day
08-05-13, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry, I meant 700r4. And I was told just need to change some electrical plug out to the right kind.
The reason I'm asking about this kind is I can get one from a buddy for half the price.

turbojimmy
08-05-13, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry, I meant 700r4. And I was told just need to change some electrical plug out to the right kind.
The reason I'm asking about this kind is I can get one from a buddy for half the price.

Like mentioned above, it would be more trouble than it's worth. The 4L60E is the next iteration of the 7004R and is electronic (hence the E). I don't know what sort of problems you would endure from the PCM not seeing the transmission anymore. Maybe no more than a MIL light - dunno. The biggest challenge would be rigging up a bracket for the TV cable and getting it adjusted properly. They were very finicky and you have to have the right geometry on the throttle bracket in order for it to work right. I HATED that on my GN (yes, it was a 2004R, but same principle).

slayu2day
08-18-13, 06:10 AM
Well I found the original trans. my car came with. I put it in, works ok. But, I keep popping the emmisions fuse under the hood. Its a 10 fuse...is my o2 sensors shorting or is it one of the plugs that go to trans ?

jayoldschool
08-18-13, 12:39 PM
Does your hood light stop working when that fuse pops? If yes, that is the fuse for the air pump. Just unplug it. Down in front of the driver's manifold.

slayu2day
08-19-13, 12:23 AM
well I can't say because the hood light doesn't work. Just what is the emmisions fuse ? My o2 wires are not in the best shape, but I had no problem with them til' I dropped exhaust for trans. I electrical taped them today, and put fuse in, it didn't pop...(yet) . It couldn't be any of the 3 plugs to the trans (one big round, two smaller) poping fuse, could it ?

turbojimmy
08-19-13, 09:24 AM
The heated O2 power is on that fuse. You probably pinched or chafed a wire. Both run along or over the transmission, right? Shouldn't be too hard to trace.

So you had an extra transmission, or you found one locally?

oldcaddybuyer
08-19-13, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, me again LOL.. well, I fix one issue, then another pops up. Ok, this one is big. I was driving home and a block from home, trans started to slip. Within a half a mile, it was completly gone. I just got home and in my parking spot. I lost all forward gears and reverse. I have never had a trans do that. Its not low on fluid. Is there a fuse, or a soleniod or a vacume module or something that would do this ? I hope I don't need a whole trans.

Same thing happened to me and I replaced the trans with a new one. Luckily you made it home. Mine gave up the ghost in the middle of a busy intersection...on a Friday...at 5pm. You had the original trans laying around? :confused:

jayoldschool
08-19-13, 01:41 PM
well I can't say because the hood light doesn't work. Just what is the emmisions fuse ? My o2 wires are not in the best shape, but I had no problem with them til' I dropped exhaust for trans. I electrical taped them today, and put fuse in, it didn't pop...(yet) . It couldn't be any of the 3 plugs to the trans (one big round, two smaller) poping fuse, could it ?

That's why your hood light doesn't work. The fuse for the air pump is out. Unplug the air pump, replace the fuse, light will work.

TJ, your post has me thinking, check your PMs.

turbojimmy
08-19-13, 02:26 PM
Looking at the manual again (while researching Jay's question), in addition to the heated O2 sensors that fuse also says "Automatic Transmission". So, the problem could be the transmission, but my money would still be on a chafed O2 sensor wire.