: "One In 5 Drivers Fall Asleep At The wheel!"

Ralph
03-09-05, 12:23 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/08/driver-050308.html

"The study also found:

Younger drivers tend to fall asleep at the wheel late at night, while older drivers are nodding off at the wheel in the afternoon.

35 per cent of drivers between ages 20 and 24 report nodding off or falling asleep while driving in the past year, while only six per cent of drivers 65 years or older report doing so.

Drivers who report nodding off while driving also report getting less than eight hours' sleep a night, rating the quality of their sleep as "poor."

Scary stuff! I know that I've almost nodded off a couple of times so i turn up the music and start talking to myself! :cookoo:

Ralph
03-09-05, 12:28 AM
Then I noticed who funded the study! LOL!

"The survey was funded in part by the Brewers of Canada,..."

Playdrv4me
03-09-05, 12:42 AM
Guilty as charged.

Ralph
03-09-05, 12:43 AM
Guilty as charged.

Really???

No damage?

slk230mb
03-09-05, 12:45 AM
The only time I have come close to falling asleep at the wheel was once last year. I was going back to school on a Monday after a vacation and I needed to get my oil changed. I woke up at 6AM, went to the dealership, got my oil changed, went home, took a shower and at 10AM left for Binghamton, 210 miles from my house. My dad and I always stop at this rest stop 45 miles from campus, this trip I don't remember the 40-50 miles leading up the stop. I just remember by dad going in to use the facilities and me getting out of the drivers seat and getting in the back and falling right to sleep. Just not remembering those miles totally freaked me out, and I will not drive if I am the slightest bit tired or drowsy.

Ralph
03-09-05, 12:49 AM
I heard that Lexus uses some sort of warning device that beeps if you've been driving for 2 hours. the idea is your supposed to walk around the car a couple of times after that amount of time and stretch because that helps nodding off.

You should know if your Lexi had this feature Ian...

Playdrv4me
03-09-05, 12:49 AM
No I mean I never like completely just fell flat asleep, but sometimes on long interstate drives in the middle of the night I do tend to get moments where my eyes will close for a short moment which is how disaster can occur in no time flat. Of course at the hours I drive Im pretty much only a hazard to myself since there are great distances between me and other drivers. That is the tradeoff for night driving, its nicer because traffic is very very low, but you do tend to get sleepy because of the dark. As soon as it comes on I usually just pull off onto a rest area for a little while then continue, but yes its certainly happened. Keep in mind also that ive conditioned myself at this point to be able to drive 10 hours at a time and feel nothing at all most of the time, I could probably a truck driver at this point as Ive been making those repeated trips from San Antonio to Kansas over the past year, and most recently from Kansas to Northeast Pennsylvania. The new lane departure warning system from Nissan and Infiniti is supposed to help with this a great deal.

Ralph
03-09-05, 12:59 AM
Ya, a buddy of mine was coming home from doing farm work about 12 years ago, it was about mignight and he fell asleep! Forttunately, we have mostly flatland so when he drifted into the ditch, he hit a small bump, quickly woke up and saw he was headed for a large telephone pole! He quickly cranked the wheel, slid sideways, and sheered the steel bumper clean off his 1975 Cutlass 2 door! He was lucky.

Kev
03-09-05, 01:04 AM
Yesterday I did a bonzia trip, 550+ miles round trip to a customer's office and back. I got only 5 hours of sleep the night before and I think I'm fighting a bit of a cold. I should have pulled over for a cat nap on the trip home because I was getting pretty tired and drowsey. What helped was a call from my wife, she called to vent and rant about something one of the neighbors had done and got me so pissed off that I hung up on her! Well, the adrenaline rush carried me the rest of the way home.
I keep a pillow in the car for cat naps when I need them. I'll pull over at a rest stop or other appropriate place and nap for 10-30 minutes and I'm good for quite a few miles. If I don't have time for the nap I'll stop and get a snack. I try to get something that will give me quick energy like orange juice and engergy bars. I also get those packages of multiple mega vitamine supliments, I don't know how good they are for me but it sure is entertaining to see the color of my piss! :rolleyes:
But, I've learned (the easy way, thank God!) to act before I get too sleepy.

Ralph
03-09-05, 01:10 AM
Yesterday I did a bonzia trip, 550+ miles round trip to a customer's office and back. I got only 5 hours of sleep the night before and I think I'm fighting a bit of a cold. I should have pulled over for a cat nap on the trip home because I was getting pretty tired and drowsey. What helped was a call from my wife, she called to vent and rant about something one of the neighbors had done and got me so pissed off that I hung up on her! Well, the adrenaline rush carried me the rest of the way home.
I keep a pillow in the car for cat naps when I need them. I'll pull over at a rest stop or other appropriate place and nap for 10-30 minutes and I'm good for quite a few miles. If I don't have time for the nap I'll stop and get a snack. I try to get something that will give me quick energy like orange juice and engergy bars. I also get those packages of multiple mega vitamine supliments, I don't know how good they are for me but it sure is entertaining to see the color of my piss! :rolleyes:
But, I've learned (the easy way, thank God!) to act before I get too sleepy.

THAT'S a long trip!

You know, I hardly ever get more than 5 or 6 hours sleep. Something in me just won't let it happen and you kind of get used to it. Orange juice does seem to be like a "pick me up' when you need energy. Or choclate.

Kev
03-09-05, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I always get a roll of Tums or Rolaids cause most of the 'pick-me-up' foods tend to be high in acids. The only thing worse than a long trip with acid indigestion is having to pee like a race horse with no place for a whistle stop! :mad:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-09-05, 01:16 AM
drove for damn near 24 stright hours (not includeing fuel stops), no problems till 230 am ...headed into a blizzard couldnt see off the hood of the car , luckily a trucker caught me so i let him pass and followed him the rest of the way to fairbanks ...

never gotten sleepy behind the wheel ....or fallen asleep ....but that night near mt denali was about the most tired i have ever been behind the wheel , that blizzard took the last bit of energy out of me ...i slept for 18 hours once i got back to my apartment, in the clothes i had worn for those 24 hours ...if felt good to finnaly get my shoes off when i woke up ...

i dont do that anymore , i realized i wasnt totaly invicible after my crash ..now if i feel remtoley threanted i stop for awhile ...

Ralph
03-09-05, 01:21 AM
drove for damn near 24 stright hours (not includeing fuel stops), no problems till 230 am ...headed into a blizzard couldnt see off the hood of the car , luckily a trucker caught me so i let him pass and followed him the rest of the way to fairbanks ...

never gotten sleepy behind the wheel ....or fallen asleep ....but that night near mt denali was about the most tired i have ever been behind the wheel , that blizzard took the last bit of energy out of me ...i slept for 18 hours once i got back to my apartment, in the clothes i had worn for those 24 hours ...if felt good to finnaly get my shoes off when i woke up ...

i dont do that anymore , i realized i wasnt totaly invicible after my crash ..now if i feel remtoley threanted i stop for awhile ...

Winter driving is as stressful as driving in Florida. ;) Being behind a snowplow is VERY stressful because you want to speed up but can't see a damn thing because he is flinging snow everywhere.

slk230mb
03-09-05, 01:26 AM

In one of my more stupid moves after hearing news of my aunts death on 10/15/04 I decided to hop in my car and drive home. Seemed like a good idea till the most thick and dense fog and rain I have ever seen in my life set in. Trying to drive through that with tears streaming down my face wasn't such a good idea in retrospect. Not to mention Route 17 has to be the most boring 2 lane curvy highway in NY. I was leading a pack of about 10 cars and thank god a semi appeared and led the way till the fog broke when I hit the city. Needless to say I got a mouthful from my mother when I walked in the door.

90Brougham350
03-09-05, 10:37 AM
I used to start to nod off all the time on the way home from work last summer. I worked about 55 miles from my home, and drove it every day, and getting off work at 3:30, it was real easy to just slip into highway hypnosis. I had only 2 "close" calls where I was drifting, and managed to snap it back right away. Pretty stupid, now that I think about it, it was just so damned hard to keep my eyes open, especially after working outside all day.

Brian

Elvis
03-09-05, 11:00 AM
I used to fall asleep at the wheel all the time. When I was 20 I got a job selling insurance agency accounting systems and drove about 50,000 miles that year.

That's about the time I learned how NOT to fall asleep at the wheel anymore. It's a discipline. Don't get too comfortable.

blingblingcv
03-09-05, 12:53 PM
If I ever feel sleepy or tired I just roll down the windows so the wind goes into my face to wake me up and blast my music loud. Impossible to fall asleep for me.

Elvis
03-09-05, 03:53 PM
I think younger drivers are most susceptible. A lot of people don't realize this, but people under age 21 need something like 10 hours of sleep a night. The older I get the less sleep I need. I can function on 5-6 hours just fine. Maybe that's why I don't fall alseep at the wheel anymore.

davesdeville
03-09-05, 08:58 PM
I drove over 1500 miles in 23 hours on my way back from CT. Had to turn off the heated seats, man those make you sleepy, and kept the radio on and the climate control at 65. I was working off of 6 1/2 hours of sleep. Oh, and I got 64oz of cappocheeno (another word I can't spell) in OK. So with those anti-sleep measures I was fine.

I'm driving to Mexico (only maybe 350 miles) in a couple weeks and driving back will suck because it will be at night and I'm sure I'll be hungov.... ahem sleepy by then.

Ralph
03-09-05, 10:19 PM
I used to fall asleep at the wheel all the time.

Narcolepsy? :shhh:

Adumb
03-09-05, 10:52 PM
ive never fallen asleep at the wheel, driving to fun. ill make little games with myself like trying to pass so many cars in an amount of time, or seeing how long i can keep the needle at 65 or something. i dont know, i guess its just the kid in me coming out.

majax
03-10-05, 03:50 AM
Maybe "the wheel" is a metaphor Ralph:shhh:

I have yet to do it but...if you do take those cat naps on the side of the road make sure your awake before you drive again. I know of someone who took a 4 hour rest woke up stretched and passed out 5 miles down the road.

majax
03-10-05, 03:52 AM
ive never fallen asleep at the wheel, driving to fun. ill make little games with myself like trying to pass so many cars in an amount of time, or seeing how long i can keep the needle at 65 or something. i dont know, i guess its just the kid in me coming out.

I could go for the 65 thing, but that passing game would make me want to go all a out just to pass:yup:

Adumb
03-10-05, 11:17 AM
I could go for the 65 thing, but that passing game would make me want to go all a out just to pass:yup:

yeah, i know what ya mean. i think i do a good job of keeping it within reason though.

davesdeville
03-10-05, 06:07 PM

Uh huh.... (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33491&page=1&pp=20) I see.

Adumb
03-10-05, 08:12 PM
Uh huh.... (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33491&page=1&pp=20) I see.

lol damn, if you think a 4100 can accelerate from 50 - 78 in about 7 seconds, then i was doing 78 mph

Playdrv4me
03-10-05, 09:02 PM
Elvis, I thought it was the other way around? Older people always make light of the fact that I rarely sleep and stay up late all the time. They usually make comments like "Boy I remember when I was your age! I used to be able to make it without any sleep! Now I cant do that anymore!"