: Heli-Coil removal?

arctic_man
07-29-13, 09:44 PM
Hey guys, I am hoping you can provide some insight in my current situation. I am in getting ready to stud a N* with CCC studs, but the car was previously worked on and had helicoils :banghead: installed before! So I have a couple of questions. I am told that a screwdriver filed down at about a 10 degree angle can get the coils out. Does anyone have a picture of this by chance? Or a different method to get them out? I know there is a helicoil removal tool, will that work? Lastly, I am assuming I cannot just drill them out, without damaging the block and digging helicoil pieces into the engine.

Any other insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ranger
07-29-13, 10:09 PM
Never had to remove one, but this should help.
http://www.google.com/search?q=helicoil+removal+tool&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

arctic_man
07-29-13, 10:30 PM
Never had to remove one, but this should help.
http://www.google.com/search?q=helicoil+removal+tool&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Hi Ranger,

Thanks for the reply. I did do some google-foo before posting here too. I could not seem to find anyone to is going as deep as I am. A lot of the forum posts I found were basic removals. Not too deep. I will be ordering my studs from Carroll tomorrow. I have spoke with him previously and he mentioned the screwdriver tool also. If I am lucky, maybe he can loan it to me :) or send me some pictures.

Submariner409
07-30-13, 09:19 AM
Studs or not, I don't like the sound of this Heli-coil thing. That block has already been drilled and tapped oversize to accept the coils. I hope this works out OK ..............

arctic_man
07-30-13, 10:07 AM
Studs or not, I don't like the sound of this Heli-coil thing. That block has already been drilled and tapped oversize to accept the coils. I hope this works out OK ..............

Hi Submariner,

Thank you for the reply. I agree, helicoils are bad business. The good thing is they were installed to accommodate oem bolts. So the holes are not actually any bigger. When I was originally planning this, I spoke with Jake and Carroll about it and they said their studs will work fine with a helicoil block. That being said, if there is interest, I can post the size comparison with the coils, oem studs, and Carrolls once I get those darn things out.

My one hope is they did not use loc-tite on the helicoils. I believe you are not supposed to, but instructions usually can't fix stupid. The car never overheated before I put it away, so no concern on the block, but I do not want to take a torch to the bolt holes if I can avoid it.

Submariner409
07-30-13, 10:24 AM
There were some pictures - maybe here in Northstar Performance - a couple of years back - someone was removing Heli-coils from a Northstar block by twisting one end out - sort of like collapsing a spring by twisting it smaller in diameter. I have removed several from iron blocks - no fun; no fun at all.

vincentm
07-30-13, 10:38 AM
You bought the studs from Tim, ive seen him remove helicoils from a Deville before, hit him up

Carrollcadillac@live.com

97EldoCoupe
07-30-13, 10:50 AM
Drill until you hit the heli-coil. That steel wire is very hard, you can't drill it. Tap the drill up and down on the top of the coil while the drill is turning, apply a bit of pressure. It will catch the coil, unwind it to the point where a part of it is protruding above the deck surface. Take the drill out of the hole, grab the wire with a pair of pliers and pull it out. It will unwind and come out. Works every time.

arctic_man
07-30-13, 11:08 AM
Drill until you hit the heli-coil. That steel wire is very hard, you can't drill it. Tap the drill up and down on the top of the coil while the drill is turning, apply a bit of pressure. It will catch the coil, unwind it to the point where a part of it is protruding above the deck surface. Take the drill out of the hole, grab the wire with a pair of pliers and pull it out. It will unwind and come out. Works every time.

Hi Jake,

Thank you for the reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully, I can get drilling this week and post some results. My friend and I started this back in late May. So far it has been pretty fun, but we took off the heads and saw how far down the helicoils were and just shared a few curse words.