: rockabilly / psychobilly

Adumb
03-08-05, 12:53 AM
im starting a rockabilly/psychobilly band and i listen to alot of it but i was just wondering if anyone else did. if so, what are some really good rockabilly or psychobilly songs. i am also kindof expecting the band to lean towards country stylings a bit. anyways, just looking for some fellow rockabilly fans.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-08-05, 01:05 AM
"The Luxurious Panthers" kicks ass ...

Ive seen countless other "bands" but i was too damned drunk to remeber there names ....All local .....

now what exactly is psycobilly ? is that like "Guitar Surf Villians " or what ? gimme an example...

but yah rockbilly is the cats pajamas ....i really need to work on getting a good collection of it going again , rattle off some names for me ...

Adumb
03-08-05, 01:17 AM
my fav psychobilly band is tiger army. they are completely rocking. some others that are damn good are mad sin, the quakes, nekromantiks. i guess the best description of psychobilly is like rockabilly/punk/goth. if you want to look into psychobilly id download some tiger army, anything by them rocks.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-08-05, 01:18 AM
ok ill look those up ..sounds liek something id like ...

Adumb
03-08-05, 01:29 AM
idk if this has any relavence but this is me with the lead singer of tiger army in august of 04
http://www.adumbrecords.com/images/meandnick13.jpg
i took it with my camera phone

HotRodSaint
03-08-05, 11:00 AM
I saw The Knitters in Vegas once, they were old school country. They had the sound down and did a really good June Carter cover. :thumbsup:

I love Junior Brown for his guitar style. Traditional country, with a heavy blues and surf influence, thus some huge and very long riffs.

The drummer at my church, is also the drummer for The Henchmen, a phsycobilly group playing the Hollywood club scene here. But I haven't heard them yet.

I saw this husband and wife, guitar and bass combo at a hot rod show called The Rounders, who played swing covers and some really cool originals.

Wanda Brown is an essential rockabilly early country collection to own, I also like Tennessee Ernie Ford, but he's more country swing. And it goes without saying that Johnny Cash is amongst the greatest, if not the greatest.

Here's a listener supported East Tennessee station playing alternative country, outlaw country, country blues, country jazz, southern rock, blue grass and an occasional jug band for influence. (http://www.wdvx.com)

Adumb
03-08-05, 11:27 AM
within the year i am getting johnny cash tattooed on my arm. he is the ulitmate. but yeah, ill try to check some of those out. the best country is from the 40's and 50's, like hank williams and johhny horton, lefty frizzel and hank snow. all great.

RBraczyk
03-08-05, 12:27 PM
wtf is psychobilly?

HotRodSaint
03-08-05, 01:05 PM
wtf is psychobilly?

Punk Rock infused rockabilly

Which may have been planted early when Billy Zoom started The Blasters and Exene and John Doe formed The Knitters.

You do know which band those three were from, right? :suspect:

Adumb
03-08-05, 01:21 PM
im actually not too sure who those people are. could you expand on them? but i was thinking one guy i forgot to mention was mike ness. hes pretty damn cool as well.

kmhebert
03-08-05, 01:36 PM
within the year i am getting johnny cash tattooed on my arm. he is the ulitmate. but yeah, ill try to check some of those out. the best country is from the 40's and 50's, like hank williams and johhny horton, lefty frizzel and hank snow. all great.

I agree 100%. I love Johnny Cash the best and I think Hank Williams ranks right up there at the top. That guy had it real hard! Like in Lonesome Blues, he sings about how he's so down he decides to jump in the river and drown himself.... but the river has gone dry! He can't catch any kind of break. I wish today's country had 1/10th of the quality of anything by Johnny Cash or Hank Williams, talk about setting the bar so high no one can get back up over it.

Adumb
03-08-05, 01:56 PM
yeah, country today seems to have trivialized itself. with songs like chicks diggit and some beach. idk, back in the 40's and 50's musicians put there heart into there songs. johnny horton can sing a song about the civil war or wwII and i feel like i can completely relate even though i really cant. when you put heart into a song it really shines through and no one realizes that today. people think a song is judged more by the lead riff or the solo. i have to say my favorite solos are the ones that just follow the vocal melody line.

HotRodSaint
03-08-05, 05:15 PM
im actually not too sure who those people are.

They were all members of the first wave LA punk band, X.

Adumb
03-08-05, 06:43 PM
ive never heard them but ill be sure to check out some songs

HotRodSaint
03-08-05, 06:58 PM
ive never heard them but ill be sure to check out some songs

Samples Here (http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=74370)

Adumb
03-08-05, 07:16 PM
they actually sound pretty cool. i like 'youre phones off the hook, but youre not' thats a pretty cool title, lol. i would suggest to check out some of these mp3's http://www.tigerarmy.com/mp3s.html they are all good songs, but outlaw heart and incorporeal are the 2 best in my opinion.