: Factory Change in 96 Fleetwood

Cadilac
03-07-05, 09:19 PM
Anybody know where the factory CD changer hooks up in a 96 Fleetwood with the factory Cassette only radio with CD changer controls?

Wheels
03-08-05, 11:26 AM
I think the CD changer was mounted in the trunk. Mine don't have it but I did notice a big bundle of wires under the carpet that might go to the CD changer if you have one. BTW I also noticed a bundle of wires under the carpet between the front seats for the factory cell phone (seems a little old school for a factory mounted moblie cell phone)

N0DIH
03-08-05, 02:16 PM
I have a factory CD Changer from a Cadillac (so I am told), but I have no idea what car it came from. It is a 6 disc Delco unit. It physically plugs into a 91 Bonneville and 91 Cadillac SDV head unit, powers up, but there is no provisions in the head unit to change over audio. The unit has its own "remote" control.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tom

Mr Cowl Hood
03-09-05, 01:25 AM
I have a factory CD Changer from a Cadillac (so I am told), but I have no idea what car it came from. It is a 6 disc Delco unit. It physically plugs into a 91 Bonneville and 91 Cadillac SDV head unit, powers up, but there is no provisions in the head unit to change over audio. The unit has its own "remote" control.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tom

If your changer is in the trunk, connected, and your head unit is a stock cassette tape, then push the button marked "CD" or something close to that on the head unit. My stock tape deck has that button. Doesn't yours?

Oh, and to respond to the original post here. My Fleetwood has a multy pin connector in the trunk dangling off the pass side near the hinge assembly. That looks just like the same connector found on the C5 corvettes for the same Delco 6 disc changer. Look for that and you may have CD access! :bighead:

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

cadillacmike68
03-09-05, 04:35 PM
If there's no CD button, look for a "source" button.

Mr Cowl Hood
03-09-05, 05:36 PM
Yes, I just double checked. I have the Tape deck and there's a button that reads:

--------------
- AM -
- -
- FM -
- -
- -
- -
- TAPE -
- -
- CD -
--------------

It pivots in the middle so that's you're button!

Cadilac
03-12-05, 12:42 AM
If your changer is in the trunk, connected, and your head unit is a stock cassette tape, then push the button marked "CD" or something close to that on the head unit. My stock tape deck has that button. Doesn't yours?

Oh, and to respond to the original post here. My Fleetwood has a multy pin connector in the trunk dangling off the pass side near the hinge assembly. That looks just like the same connector found on the C5 corvettes for the same Delco 6 disc changer. Look for that and you may have CD access! :bighead:

Thanks for the info. I am trying to hook up a changer that I had in my C5 but it is a Delco 12 disc, not a 6 disc, and I think that all the changers in C5's were 12 disc. I do have a connector like you describe dangling off on the passenger side near the hinge assembly (with an antenna hookup of some kind like you would use on an old cell phone or CB radio taped to it). However, the connector is much smaller and a different shape than used on the C5 or F-Body. Is the connector I am looking at really the one for the CD-changer? If so, I assume that I would need some different type of CD changer.

I am lost - thought this project would be a no brainer! Thanks for your help.

Mr Cowl Hood
03-14-05, 07:02 PM
I don't think there would be any harm in just connecting the 12 disc changer to that connector, obviously if it's compatible, and see what happens.

Please post what you find. :coolgleam

DPGC23
03-16-05, 08:35 PM
Might Need To Do What I Did And Just Get A New Tape Deck, 6 Cd Changer N Throw An Amp N Some Subs

Keep It Bumpin All The Time

Dpgc23

Mr Cowl Hood
03-22-05, 08:31 PM
Might Need To Do What I Did And Just Get A New Tape Deck, 6 Cd Changer N Throw An Amp N Some Subs

Keep It Bumpin All The Time

Dpgc23

Sure, but I'd like to see him succeed at getting the stock unit to work with a X disc player. BTW, my DD unit fit just fine.

Cadilac
03-23-05, 12:36 AM
I don't think there would be any harm in just connecting the 12 disc changer to that connector, obviously if it's compatible, and see what happens.

Please post what you find. :coolgleam

The plug in the trunk doesn't do anything. I think it is for some kind of phone stuff because it is taped to a connector like they used to use for cell phone antennas.

At any rate, I asked a guy that deals in Delco stuff if he knew how to hook up a Delco 12 disc and if I could buy the stuff from him. He said "You have a very rare radio system in your car. I'm sure you have had problems getting correct answers to your questions. We believe that the 12 disc will work (it has the same protocol) if you can find a rare harness part number 12370282 - it should plug in."

At any rate, I can't find that harness anyplace and wouldn't know where to plug it in at the radio unless it was a pass-thru in the harness of some sort - there are no connectors on the radio at all.

So I guess I'll sleep on it to come up with another idea. The car is basically brand new and I'd like to keep the wiring stock.

Was a 1996 Fleetwood supposed to be pre-wired at the factory for the changer?

Mr Cowl Hood
03-24-05, 09:19 PM
I'm not using it (connector in trunk), but that was my understanding.

Good Luck.