: Dear Hot Rod Saint......

IndianaSpank
03-07-05, 06:32 PM
I'm still wrestling with the details of the post by theGman dated 2/23/04 where he laid out some specific questions re:suspension issues. You were kind enough to address each of his concerns. Me, I'm not so bright, so here comes a couple more.
1. BMR lower contol arms. Do I need uppers too? Adjustable or stock length?

2. BMR offers some sway bars as well. Would the "monster" rear sway bar they have be more desireable than a stock 9C1 application?

3. I am not a mechanic. I'm having my local garage put these bits on. Any modifications or curve balls for the above average mechanic? Everybody around here I talk to looks at me as if I'm growing a second head when I talk Fleet/SS parts commonality. Especially the Caddy/Chevy dealership.

4. When I put the Bilsteins on, what fuse do I pull to disable ride level? I aim to keep the stock stance and firm everything up some.

5. Thanks for all your help.

IndianaSpank

theGman
03-07-05, 11:19 PM
By the way, as a follow up, for what it's worth:

I did the lower control arms, Bilstein stiff shocks, front and rear HO sway bars, SS springs, etc. as mentioned on that post. My son installed most the stuff for me, in the driveway, in about 4 hours.

The toughest part, if I recall, was attaching the upper rear shocks...I was readly to cut holes in the trunk but he managed to do it before I got to cutting. You'd think they'd have factory plugged access holes for that.

HotRodSaint
03-08-05, 01:07 AM
1. BMR lower contol arms. Do I need uppers too? Adjustable or stock length?

Stock length lower

2. BMR offers some sway bars as well. Would the "monster" rear sway bar they have be more desireable than a stock 9C1 application?

Search for BMR Here (http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=16;hardset=;start_point =;DaysPrune=)

3. Any modifications or curve balls for the above average mechanic?

None at all.

4. When I put the Bilsteins on, what fuse do I pull to disable ride level? I aim to keep the stock stance and firm everything up some.

It's in the fuse box under the hood on the right side of the car.

5. Thanks for all your help.

Welcome to FoSS.

HotRodSaint
03-08-05, 01:09 AM
I did the lower control arms, Bilstein stiff shocks, front and rear HO sway bars, SS springs, etc.

What do you think of the ride?

Would you change anything?

Mr Cowl Hood
03-09-05, 02:30 AM
What do you think of the ride?

Would you change anything?

Too bad you guys aren't interested in MY sway bars. :disappoin

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

HotRodSaint
03-09-05, 10:15 AM
Too bad you guys aren't interested in MY sway bars. :disappoin

I chose the HO bars (Herb Adams clones) over the F-body styles, because I didn't want neutral handling on my car since I was building it as a highway cruiser and not a road racer.

I wanted some warning before the car starts to slip away in high speed corners.

But that was my criteria, others will have their own.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg
More Pic's Here. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotrodsaint)

Leloz
03-09-05, 12:06 PM
Your Fleetwood looks great! You have Impala SS springs in the front and rear? The lowering looks like what the Impala owners get with the Hotchkis setup. :thumbsup:

HotRodSaint
03-09-05, 12:10 PM
Your Fleetwood looks great! You have Impala SS springs in the front and rear? The lowering looks like what the Impala owners get with the Hotchkis setup. :thumbsup:

Thank you. :worship:

I have SS front and rear.

At first I didn't know if I liked the raked look. Now the look has grown on me, and the practicality of having the rear higher for daily driving sold me on it.

N0DIH
03-09-05, 02:52 PM
Thank you. :worship:

I have SS front and rear.

At first I didn't know if I liked the raked look. Now the look has grown on me, and the practicality of having the rear higher for daily driving sold me on it.

That is almost how my 94 FWB looks, my link for my level ride apparently popped off, so it maxed it out....

Tom

Mr Cowl Hood
03-09-05, 04:27 PM
I chose the HO bars (Herb Adams clones) over the F-body styles, because I didn't want neutral handling on my car since I was building it as a highway cruiser and not a road racer.

I wanted some warning before the car starts to slip away in high speed corners.

But that was my criteria, others will have their own.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg

Hmmm, typically you WANT a more neutral setup for racing applications. Could your thoughts be backwards?

BTW, with the Impala SS springs on there, there's no chacne of the rear settling, huh? I'm planning that for mine and I really don't want it raked. The front looks perfect!

HotRodSaint
03-10-05, 02:42 AM
Hmmm, typically you WANT a more neutral setup for racing applications.

I'm building a grand tourer, not a race car. Thus I wanted it to forgive driver errors.

BTW, with the Impala SS springs on there, there's no chacne of the rear settling, huh?

It's been 2 years and 20,000 miles. So probably not.

theGman
03-10-05, 09:02 AM
HRS: No, I wouldn't change anything; I based what I did on all the info you took the time to pass along to me/the forum. Thank you.

One thing different is that my 95 sits level. I installed the SS springs all around also.

Paul G.

HotRodSaint
03-10-05, 12:05 PM
One thing different is that my 95 sits level. I installed the SS springs all around also.

Strange... :hmm:

You got pics of your ride?

Mr Cowl Hood
03-10-05, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=HotRodSaint]I'm building a grand tourer, not a race car. Thus I wanted it to forgive driver errors.

I was referring to your reasoning on neutral Vs Stiff? setups. Besides, anti sway bars can be very stiff or neutral and still afford great traffic driving capabilities.

HotRodSaint
03-10-05, 10:51 PM
I was referring to your reasoning on neutral Vs Stiff? setups. Besides, anti sway bars can be very stiff or neutral and still afford great traffic driving capabilities.

My comment applies to the handling of the car, not the swaybars themselves.

Neutral vs Oversteer.

In a car with slight oversteer built in, the car signals when it's about to break loose.

In a car with neutral characteristics, you get no signal that the car is about to break loose.

For a daily driver, on the highway, I felt that slight oversteer was the prefered set-up for me.

And I wouldn't change a thing on my suspension set-up.

Mr Cowl Hood
03-10-05, 11:37 PM
My comment applies to the handling of the car, not the swaybars themselves.

Neutral vs Oversteer.

In a car with slight oversteer built in, the car signals when it's about to break loose.

In a car with neutral characteristics, you get no signal that the car is about to break loose.

For a daily driver, on the highway, I felt that slight oversteer was the prefered set-up for me.

And I wouldn't change a thing on my suspension set-up.

I see what you're saying. Well, since I already have the Impala SS springs I guess I'll give them a shot. Bilsteins are going in at the same time as I have one rear shock leaking. I just can't decide between the softer (DeCarbonlike) ones or the much firmer ones and hope the 70 series tires make up for the firmness.

I have the super firm ones on my Impala, that I race, and with 35 series tires it's pretty insane on the hwy! :canttalk: :thumbsup:

HotRodSaint
03-11-05, 12:55 AM
I just can't decide between the softer (DeCarbonlike) ones or the much firmer ones and hope the 70 series tires make up for the firmness.

I have the 'firm' Bilsteins and 55-series tires.

The ride is like a softly tuned european car.

You can feel the road, but only the severist of bumps. And even then, it's a minor thump-thump and not the wheel bending THUD you get with low profile tires.

I was talked out of the soft, and while I am curious as to how they perform, I'm not dissappointed with my choice.

HotRodSaint
03-11-05, 01:04 AM
Besides, anti sway bars can be very stiff or neutral and still afford great traffic driving capabilities.

In light of our understanding each other now, I chose the big sway bars and softer springs for the purpose of creating a better cornering car while maintaining it's comfortable ride.

That was also why I went with 18" wheels instead of something larger. I wanted enough of a sidewall to be a cushion and soak up the larger bumps. Especially on such a hevy car.

I also don't like bent wheels. Hitting a construction zone on the freeway at 65mph with 35 series is enough to ruin all 4 wheels in one shot. Trust me on that. ;)

Mr Cowl Hood
03-11-05, 02:34 PM
In light of our understanding each other now, I chose the big sway bars and softer springs for the purpose of creating a better cornering car while maintaining it's comfortable ride.

That was also why I went with 18" wheels instead of something larger. I wanted enough of a sidewall to be a cushion and soak up the larger bumps. Especially on such a hevy car.

I also don't like bent wheels. Hitting a construction zone on the freeway at 65mph with 35 series is enough to ruin all 4 wheels in one shot. Trust me on that. ;)

I didn't realize those were 18" wheels. What aspect ratio are they? 55? 60?

I have 275/40WR18's in the front and 295/35WR18's in the back of my Impala with the stiff springs and I really feel the road. I was considering 20's on the FW with the softer springs, but that may be down the road. So maybe the stiff Bilsteins ARE in my future?...Hmmmmmm :yup:

HotRodSaint
03-12-05, 01:22 PM
I didn't realize those were 18" wheels. What aspect ratio are they? 55? 60?

They are 245/55WR18.

I have 275/40WR18's in the front and 295/35WR18's in the back of my Impala with the stiff springs and I really feel the road.

I can survive any pothole with my set-up. But I still prefer to avoid them, if possible.

Mr Cowl Hood
03-14-05, 08:10 PM
Very cool car there, Saint!

Once I figure out the bugs I'll post my before and after pics of my FW with the old/new springs.

HotRodSaint
03-15-05, 11:25 AM
Once I figure out the bugs I'll post my before and after pics of my FW with the old/new springs.

Please do!! :yup: