: Where is my gas filter? 97 STS

Super_Too
03-07-05, 01:07 PM
Where is the gas filter on 1997 STS. I am in the process of changing filters and just general clean up of a 1997 STS we bought. Any other maint items you guys can think of, please post them.
I also heard there is a grease fitting on the steering column somewhere that lubes the columns shift mechanism, but can't find any info on that either!
I also just bought a Snap-On MT-2500 scanner especially for the car so if you have any experience with that tool, I would like to hear from you!!!!!:thumbsup:

mcowden
03-07-05, 01:32 PM
The fuel filter is under the driver door next to the rocker panel. There is probably no need to replace it, but it also probably can't hurt much other than your pocketbook.

As far as other maintenance, you will probably want to clean out the throttle body bore and blade using some carb cleaner and a toothbrush or some old rags. They tend to accumulate grime from EGR, oil vapors, etc., and can stick a little bit and affect the idle. Get the majority of the crap off those things and disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to reset the idle and TPS values. I don't know of any grease fittings on the steering column, but the outer tie rod ends might have fittings. Check the PCV valve and make sure it moves freely and isn't full of crud that would prevent it from opening and closing properly. Has the car had the safety recall done for the fuel rail?

Tell us about the mileage and general condition of the car as well as any history you know about it and I'm sure you'll get several other maintenance recommendations. Probably at least one of them will relate to the cooling system.

freefaller07
03-08-05, 04:49 PM
I have a 1993 STS with 196*** miles. Do you believe it might be necessary to replace the fuel filter. I have done all other usual up keep such as thottle body cleaning and pcv valve. This is about the only thing I did not get to in my tune-up. If I were to replace it is it an easy job?

mcowden
03-08-05, 07:44 PM
Fuel filter replacement is a pretty easy job. You just have to be careful because some fuel will dribble out of the line, so have some rags or a small container handy and make sure there are no sources of ignition present anywhere. The fuel lines connect to both sides of the filter with spring-loaded clips. You pull the clip back and then pull the line off the filter. To reinstall, just push the line on the new filter and bolt it in place of the new one (1 bolt) and you're done. Easy to do in 1/2 hour. I was able to pull the clips back carefully with a screwdriver. I've been told before they make a tool for the job, but I didn't find it necessary. If it seems too difficult, don't force it or you'll break the clip. Go borrow or buy the tool from an auto parts store like AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advance, etc. Last time I checked, Rock Auto wanted about $13 for the filter plus shipping. www.rockauto.com No I don't work for them and don't have any interest whatsoever in Rock Auto, but they do have decent prices.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out! Good luck.