: Replacing A Radiator, Internal Or External Transmission Cooler?

Bchill
07-27-13, 10:35 AM
I have a 2006 STS 4.6 with a radiator leak. I want to replace the radiator myself but don't know if the car has a internal or external tranny cooler. How can I tell? Also, how can I tell if the car has a high performance cooling system?

1BadCadSTS
07-27-13, 10:46 AM
I have a 2006 STS 4.6 with a radiator leak. I want to replace the radiator myself but don't know if the car has a internal or external tranny cooler. How can I tell? Also, how can I tell if the car has a high performance cooling system?

Rpo codes.

Subsailor613
07-27-13, 02:52 PM
If it has both, the electric and centrifugal fans,
it's High performance cooling system.
But the REAL way is like 1BadCadSTS said above.RPO codes.
Happy Motoring.

Charles Warren
07-27-13, 11:44 PM
All v8 sts's have the separate coolers from my understanding

Bchill
07-29-13, 07:43 AM
Well, it has only one fan so I guess it's not a high performance cooling system. I'll check the RPO codes. Thanks for all your answers!

Ludacrisvp
07-29-13, 08:31 AM
Well, it has only one fan so I guess it's not a high performance cooling system. I'll check the RPO codes. Thanks for all your answers!
If by 'one fan' do you mean a large mechanically driven fan on the front of the motor?
If that is what you mean then you have the performance cooling package...
But you should look for RPO code V03 on the service parts identification sticker as this is the HPC package.

Bchill
07-30-13, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the info Luda, I will look for the code.... there's the one large fan and then the leaking radiator and in front of that is another radiator-looking item with a empty gap between them...