: temp at 205

grullon10
07-26-13, 10:49 PM
Is there a way to change the coolant fan setting I know that the coolant fans star around 223f is there a way to make it them star at 203 on slow and 215 on high. With the ac on the temp stay between 200 and 210..

Submariner409
07-27-13, 11:44 AM
No re-programming possible.

The fans run in SLOW any time the A/C is on, the A/C condenser dumps a LOT of heat in front of the coolant radiator, and a running temp of 200 - 210, under today's conditions, is perfectly normal and well within design limits. Don't sweat the small stuff. - drive the car.

Open the hood, start the engine, A/C ON. Fans should be running in SLOW. Turn the A/C OFF. Fans stop, the engine idles, temp climbs to 224, fans come on, engine cools to 213, fans stop. The cycle repeats. Normal. Normal.

There should be two Maxi-fuses, a fan circuit fuse or two, and 3 fan control relays in the underhood fuse box. There is a legend inside the top cover. If the fans do not operate as above, then check the fuses - pull each and reinstall, and do the same for the relays - they are TIGHT to get out. The 4-pin relays go in their sockets either way - the 5-pin goes in only one way. (4-pin relays either way ??? Look at the internal circuit diagram on the side of each relay.)

If water and coolant, plus lube oils, plastic and rubber would allow an engine to run at 250 -300 degrees all day it would be more efficient and get better gas mileage. Running temp has exactly nothing to do with the Northstar infamous head gasket cylinder block bolt hole problems.

Submariner409
07-27-13, 03:33 PM
See the thread next to this one - DTS "hot".

Superjim
07-27-13, 04:21 PM
Is there a way to change the coolant fan setting I know that the coolant fans star around 223f is there a way to make it them star at 203 on slow and 215 on high. With the ac on the temp stay between 200 and 210..

Yes... The ECM can be reprogrammed with EFI Live to turn on the fans at other than stock settings.
Mine come on HIGH anytime the AC IS ON and the car is below 30mph...

Submariner409
07-27-13, 05:19 PM
Why ??? Do you own stock in a cooling fan company ??? Is there some benefit to placing a pretty large amperage draw on the electrical system for no reason ?? - and under almost 90% of Engine On time ??? ......... it sure won't mean a thing to the engine !

Good to know about the post-2004 engine management system changes, though.

Superjim
07-27-13, 07:15 PM
Why ??? Do you own stock in a cooling fan company ??? Is there some benefit to placing a pretty large amperage draw on the electrical system for no reason ?? - and under almost 90% of Engine On time ??? ......... it sure won't mean a thing to the engine !

Good to know about the post-2004 engine management system changes, though.

I am sorry... I was in a hurry and mistyped that.
I meant when the AC is on and the vehicle speed is under 30...
I believe the ECM control systems changed in 2006... 2005 and older, you can't do that.