: BMW Test drive against the competition

SilverrV
07-26-13, 09:37 PM
I had an invite to a BMW dealership today in Freeport NY. They ha da few mercades and most BMW available to drive. They gave us a road map with the prefered map, I accidently missed my exit all three times on the meadowbrook and took the first turn around. It was a great opportunity to get a feel for other high performance cars on the same route immediately after one another.

1st car Mercedes CLS-550. I loved this car. It handled amazing, was quick and the interior fit is nice.

2nd car BMW 750, A car in a different class, wasn't impressed. Both BMW's I drove seemed to have an annoying delay when the pedal was to the floor. I asked the sales lady and she replied I don't think you should be flooring the car on our test drive.

3rd car BMW 650. My initial thought was amazing. I love the exterior and the interior is perfect. Best seat I ever sat in my life. The ride quality was so so. I took the benz and bmw on the same driving line, similar speeds, same road conditions and the cls really proved to be the best.

4th car I took my ctsv on the same exact course and The v had the immediate speed, handling and braking better than every car there. The interior of the ctsv is the oldest and its noticeable.

I would purchase the V over all of these cars any day. looks, performance and overall feel.

The M series car were there for show but not available for the test drive. If anyone iis free tomorrow call the freeport dealership they seem to allow walk ins. Its nice to break in someone elses tires, brakes and gas.

1997BlackETC
07-26-13, 09:58 PM
Now you need to drive the Merc E63amg on the same course, bigger motor, lots more power and torque, the CLS550 is just a 4.6 liter, the E63amg is a 5.5 liter twin turbo with 550 hp and 590 ft. lbs of torque.

SilverrV
07-27-13, 11:42 AM
i wish they had it there.

PNBLWZD
07-28-13, 01:55 AM
The new CLS550 is a bi-turbo also, it just doesn't have the badges on the fenders advertising them.

1997BlackETC
07-28-13, 02:19 AM
Yes, but like I said, it's just a 4.6 liter vs the 5.5 that's in the AMG, it is rated @ 402hp and the Amg with the P30 package is rated @ 550 hp, totally different power bands and feel too. The AMG is a whole different beast, you should try one if you get a chance. Like I said, I tried a brand new CLS550 last summer and it drove like a floaty old Cadillac, kinda brought back memories my old Cadillac Coupe Deville, I actually loved that car (1992) but it had lots of body roll, was not exceptionally fast but real cushy, kinda like the CLS550, the Deville came to mind as I was driving gthe CLS. The moment I drove my new to me E63 AMG, I knew the car was special.
The new CLS550 is a bi-turbo also, it just doesn't have the badges on the fenders advertising them.

RaVeNous
07-28-13, 02:47 AM
The current base CLS 550 is not slow at all....not much slower than the V. The AMG is considerably quicker and more costly. My friend bought a 2012 CLS 550 yesterday, it's exquisite. Best looking sedan on earth - I drive a coupe :sneaky:

ROFL droves like an old Cadillac, you obviously didn't really drive a newish 2012+ one.

1997BlackETC
07-28-13, 03:21 AM
The current base CLS 550 is not slow at all....not much slower than the V. The AMG is considerably quicker and more costly. My friend bought a 2012 CLS 550 yesterday, it's exquisite. Best looking sedan on earth - I drive a coupe :sneaky:

ROFL droves like an old Cadillac, you obviously didn't really drive a newish 2012+ one. actually it was a 2012, but I had a cute Japanese saleswoman riding with me from the Benz dealer who kept telling me not to drive over the speed limit :) I really did not have the opportunity to get on it, so to be honest I don't know. It did feel kinda floaty and big though, but I really did like the car, not as sporty as I said as my AMG and very quiet, I'm loving my AMG exhaust, it sounds great.

RaVeNous
07-28-13, 06:36 AM
actually it was a 2012, but I had a cute Japanese saleswoman riding with me from the Benz dealer who kept telling me not to drive over the speed limit :) I really did not have the opportunity to get on it, so to be honest I don't know. It did feel kinda floaty and big though, but I really did like the car, not as sporty as I said as my AMG and very quiet, I'm loving my AMG exhaust, it sounds great.

I'm sure it's not as sporty as the AMG!! I mean, but the 550 has some of the same suspension, air ride, active seats, ride height controls, etc, I'm sure the AMG just expands on that, and I'm sure the 5.5 sounds way better. The 6.2 v8 AMG still sounds the best out of anything BenZ

Bridgette2013
07-28-13, 03:30 PM
I actually owned the 2013 s550 twin turbo. It's a big ass boat IMO. Fast, for the size but NOTHING like a V.

1997BlackETC
07-28-13, 05:40 PM
I actually owned the 2013 s550 twin turbo. It's a big ass boat IMO. Fast, for the size but NOTHING like a V. That still blows my mind that you got rid of that so quick, I'd think it woulda been at least a 20K loss if you bought it brand new. I don't really know too much about the S class cars, never driven one.

warmwater
07-29-13, 11:25 AM
+1 on BMW seats, The Recaro seats are awful for comfort, they look great but need some modifications for the next version.

vfaninva
07-29-13, 01:32 PM
+1 on BMW seats, The Recaro seats are awful for comfort, they look great but need some modifications for the next version.

I haven't driven a 6 series so I can't speak to their comfort but I will say that the Recaro seats are very comfortable. They take a little seat time to break in and once you've made your adjustments they are both comfortable and supportive.

Club Malibu
07-29-13, 07:18 PM
4th car I took my ctsv on the same exact course and The v had the immediate speed, handling and braking better than every car there.

Of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The interior of the ctsv is the oldest and its noticeable.

So is a '69 Camaro. ;)

JFJr
07-29-13, 08:49 PM
The tens of thousands of dollars that the comparable German cars cost over the "V's" should be worth something, should they not? Why this constant argument about the relative merits of the apparent, expensive competitors, no matter how much the cost differential? Those that love German cars, for God's sake go buy them and be the envy of all your country club lizard friends, and leave the rest of us alone. I really don't care about the AMG's or M's. The German car companies have been screwing the American public for decades. It's time for payback, big time!

Jud

SilverrV
07-29-13, 08:58 PM
well said jud.
CTSV vs E63AMG is as apples to apples as you can get. with the exception of $30,000. there is no competition for the v and this price range. I love the fact that it beats in my opinion the germans all day long. and i saved 30,000. some people expect just because the cars are similar in HP and the magazines compare one to another its not in the same league.
like comparing an audi s6 to an toyota camry. Its only $30,000 differance but its a different league.
I have a feeling Cadillac learned their demographic is way different on a ctsv they they expected and the V3 2015 will be priced higher. I wouldnt be surprised if the price tag was 80,000 and up. ($10,000 increase from the v2). Can someone post what the msrp was on the V1 in 2007? I wasnt into Cadillacs until the v2.

JFJr
07-29-13, 09:53 PM
well said jud.
CTSV vs E63AMG is as apples to apples as you can get. with the exception of $30,000. there is no competition for the v and this price range. I love the fact that it beats in my opinion the germans all day long. and i saved 30,000. some people expect just because the cars are similar in HP and the magazines compare one to another its not in the same league.
like comparing an audi s6 to an toyota camry. Its only $30,000 differance but its a different league.
I have a feeling Cadillac learned their demographic is way different on a ctsv they they expected and the V3 2015 will be priced higher. I wouldnt be surprised if the price tag was 80,000 and up. ($10,000 increase from the v2). Can someone post what the msrp was on the V1 in 2007? I wasnt into Cadillacs until the v2.

They're not in different performance categories, but for much different customers. Those that are about keeping up appearances, and are more concerned about perceived superiority, are comfortable with the German cars because that's what their equally shallow neighbors are after. Real car guys could care less and are more independent thinkers. It takes all kinds to make the world go around, just realize where the truth is.

BTW, the V1 was a hell of a lot if fun and the LS6 sounded a lot better than the LSA.

Jud