: Loud clicking even with engine off

retcad
07-26-13, 09:16 PM
After parking my 2010 SRX tonight, I heard a strange click-click-click during idle and even after I shut the engine down.

The clicking is coming from somewhere under the driver's side. I looked underneath and could hear it, but was reluctant to play with anything as I'm no mechanic.

To the right of the gas pedal, near the carpeting, there are two pipes coming down that are extremely hot. Maybe that' normal, I dunno.

It's in the driveway now. When I get in it, the clicking continues.

I called the dealer and I'm bringing it in tomorrow.

My guess is that's it's some type of electrical issue, and I hope the car doesn't catch fire overnight!

I'll let ya know! If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-26-13, 09:49 PM
After parking my 2010 SRX tonight, I heard a strange click-click-click during idle and even after I shut the engine down.

The clicking is coming from somewhere under the driver's side. I looked underneath and could hear it, but was reluctant to play with anything as I'm no mechanic.

To the right of the gas pedal, near the carpeting, there are two pipes coming down that are extremely hot. Maybe that' normal, I dunno.

It's in the driveway now. When I get in it, the clicking continues.

I called the dealer and I'm bringing it in tomorrow.

My guess is that's it's some type of electrical issue, and I hope the car doesn't catch fire overnight!

I'll let ya know! If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it!
Hello retcad,

I apologize that you are experiencing a clicking noise when you are in idle and when the vehicle is turned off. I do see that you are taking your vehicle into the dealership tomorrow for a diagnosis. Please keep us updated on that visit! Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. I will be looking for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

retcad
07-27-13, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Greg...

This morning, the clicking noise has completely disappeared. I drove the car all around town, shut it off, turned it on and no more clicking.

Although the dealer told be yesterday to 'swing by so they could listen' I opted not to waste my time or theirs since there's nothing to listen for.

I have no clue what caused it and hope it's a one-time mystery.

This car is packed with so many electronics it could be anything.

I'll keep ya posted!

stevec5375
07-27-13, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Greg...

This morning, the clicking noise has completely disappeared. I drove the car all around town, shut it off, turned it on and no more clicking.

Although the dealer told be yesterday to 'swing by so they could listen' I opted not to waste my time or theirs since there's nothing to listen for.

I have no clue what caused it and hope it's a one-time mystery.

This car is packed with so many electronics it could be anything.

I'll keep ya posted!

I suspect you're hearing the actuators from the HVAC system. I had that problem and the actuators needed new programming. I'm surprised the GM support people on here couldn't tell you about this as it's a known problem.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/197109-clicking-noise-heard-cluster-dash.html#post2208418

TheCaptain
07-28-13, 10:57 PM
Both my '10 and my '13 make small clicks and hums when the vehicle is off, but nothing loud.
I leave it to the computers as they whir and hum away...

retcad
07-30-13, 01:16 PM
Thanks so much, Steve. The other posts' symptoms were very similar to mine. I'll try turning the AC off if it ever happens again, although I would think turning the engine off would have stopped it immediately. But I don't know a wrench or a resistor from a pee-hole in the snow, which is why I find this forum so helpful. Thanks again.

stevec5375
07-30-13, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much, Steve. The other posts' symptoms were very similar to mine. I'll try turning the AC off if it ever happens again, although I would think turning the engine off would have stopped it immediately. But I don't know a wrench or a resistor from a pee-hole in the snow, which is why I find this forum so helpful. Thanks again.

Turning off the A/C may not quieten it down. If you have the Auto-Defog feature in the Config menu on the A/C can be turned on to dehumidify the air in order to defog the windows.