: 2006 DTS Hidden issues

dodger21
07-26-13, 12:09 PM
I have narrowed down my choices and I am going to look at several 2006 - 2007 DTS. Any tips on anything "hidden" I should be looking for? Maybe Things that these DTS are famous for having fail besides the headlights? One with 115000 miles had new control arms bearings and waterpump. Seems good from the computer.....we will see how it looks in person tho....thanks for any input.

Superjim
07-26-13, 02:28 PM
I would try to find out why the water pump was replaced...
They don't fail very often...
Look at the 8th digit of the VIN.... If it is a "9" it has the MAGRIDE suspension... If it is a "Y" it does not.
A few of them leak oil at the rear valve cover and at the case half seal.

dodger21
07-26-13, 04:02 PM
Thanks jim. What is the concensus on mag ride? This one does not have it.

LtFrankTheTank
07-26-13, 07:47 PM
Superjim what's the difference in the suspension ? I guess I just an elaborate answer that's all. Thank you

Superjim
07-26-13, 11:13 PM
The VIN "Y" cars have normal struts on the front and normal shocks on the rear.
VIN "9" cars have the computer controlled, Magnetic ride suspension on front and back.

The Magride can adjust the shocks up to 1000 times a second to adjust and compensate for the road and how you are driving it.
VIN "9" cars are a lot less "FLOATY" on the highway and have less lean when cornering.
They come with 18 inch wheels and low profile tires for better handling and better road feel in spirited driving.

With the Magnetic ride coupled with the different tires and wheels, someone that REALLY KNOWS HOW to drive a front wheel drive car can really surprise you with what a two and a half ton Cadillac is capable of... LOL LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

TulsaVic
07-27-13, 12:17 PM
Just to comment on Jim's last paragraph, I just came back from a 20 mile drive on one of Maine's "ya can't get ther-ah from he-ah" back roads which was loaded with frost heaves, pot holes and their patches, mogul like bumps, along with plenty of ups and downs and twisties (and an occasional stretch of dirt road). 55- 60 mph was a one-hand-on-the-wheel piece of cake drive. Don't know too many cars of this size that could do as well.

stormnn
07-27-13, 02:58 PM
I had to replace my 06 waterpump last winter at around 76,000 mi. $400 + @ an independant shop.
Norm

Andrew224
07-27-13, 08:56 PM

Classifieds need to go in the classifieds section.

MoistCabbage
07-28-13, 03:52 AM
Please don't hijack threads, and advertising is not allowed outside of the classifieds section.

Also, posting personal information on a public forum is a BAD idea.

tjwhite721
07-28-13, 04:37 AM
I would buy the non magnetic ride DTS. When the shocks and struts go bad, your only gonna have to spend a few hundred compared to thousands for the performance suspension.

I also just bought a used DTS, that has oil issues. I filed a complaint with Cadillac about it.

Todd