: Auxiliary pump replacement

samranij
07-26-13, 12:09 PM
I have Cadillac Catera 2001 with overheating problem. I am suspecting the driver's side auxiliary water pump because it looks to me leaking. I went to the Junk yard and I got one. Now, I would like to install it but I am not sure how I can do that.

Please, can anyone post the auxiliary water pump's removal and installation with pictures if possible.

Thank you very much

Cadillac owner

JohnJJO
07-26-13, 09:38 PM
It's very easy. Just disable electric wire, move it out the way so coolant will not get on it. Spray pump with WD40 or silicon oil. Remove clamps with pliers, remove hoses. Now u can twist pump few times and it will come out from rubber case. U can use flat screw driver to help pump come out from rubber case, just be careful. Then just install new pump same way like u was removing it. And I would recommend to replase clamps as well. In my case I had a blown fuse 15apm under steering wheel fuse box. On manual its not showing description of that fuse, check fuse first.

samranij
07-26-13, 10:39 PM
Do I need to remove the battery and drain the cooling system first?

Thanks again
samranij

JohnJJO
07-26-13, 11:15 PM
No u don't have to. Just run your car until normal temp with heat on.

samranij
07-27-13, 03:37 PM
I have few question:1 is it ok to do this remove/install with engine running( I am afraid of the cooling's spill)?
2 the bottom hose is kind of hard to get to it, do you have any trick for that?
3 what size of clamps do you recommend?

so, if I understand well, these are the steps:
1- run the car until normal temp with heat on
2- remove the electric wire from the pump with the car still running
3- spray pump with wd40
4- remove clamps with pliers
5- remove the top and bottom hoses from the pump
6- twist pump few times
7- install the new pump
8- replace clamps

Thank you very much for your help
samranij

JohnJJO
07-29-13, 10:27 AM
Nooooooo All wrong!!!!!! Do not start or run your car while u doing this!!!!
1.remove electric wire from pump
2. remove hoses from pump, if u can remove lower hose move to step 3 and remove hose later.
3. spray pump with wd40 or any oil base spray liquid, it will help to slide of rubber holder. U can use flat screw driver to help pump slide off rubber case.
4. Now install pump same way, and replace clamps. U can find clamps at any auto part stores, home improvement stores like Lowe's. Just get clamp that can fit around hose. I don't know size, u need to find that out.
5. Start your car and run until it reach normal temp. with heat on. It will help to get air out from cooling system and air will travel around heater hoses back to coolant tank.

samranij
07-29-13, 06:53 PM
Thank you very much for your reply and your patience
But still I have one more dump question
When I went to the junk yard and got the aux water pump, antifreeze came out from the two hoses that I removed from the pump and then I lost most of the antifreeze. is there a solution to avoid that spill? is there a plug that I can use?
Thanks again
Samranij