: 96 concours code help!!

MMD
03-06-05, 03:48 PM
hi. i am sooo glad i found this place!! anyway, my 96 concours did the weirdest thing today: it pretty much died!! it turns over, and all the power works, but i get all these codes:

PC0102
PC0231
PC0753
PC0758
PC1645
PC1654
PC1860

these are all current codes, not history. ALL of these showed up today. the car has not been driving strange, idle is consistent (recent tune up), fuel filter was recently changed. i am perplexed because the car stalls and then the screen says:

service - fuel system
service - emission systems
service - electrical systems

this came totally out of nowhere and i am upset. i have looked online as to what each code means, and here's what i think i found:

102 - Mass Air Flow sensor low frequency
231 - fuel pump feedback circuit low frequency
753 - 1-2 shift solenoid circuit electrical
758 - 2-2 shift solenoid circuit electrical
1645 - evaporative emission vent solenoid control circuit
1654 - cruise control innhibit outout circuit
1860 - TCC PWM solenoid circuit electrical

i am mechanically inclined and do most of the service on the car myself. any help i can get in locating the specific problems and repairing them would be helpful. thanks.

MMD
03-07-05, 07:16 PM
okay. i disconnected the battery and check the codes again after i cleared everythng out. now all i get is:

PC0231 and "service fuel system"

can anyone help with this? can anyone point me in the direction of how to locate and clean the throttle body, egr, and pcv valves? thanks in advance.

mcowden
03-07-05, 07:53 PM
Drive it before you check the codes because most of those are not detected while the car is just sitting in the driveway. There may be more that come back and they can be handled when they come up. If a code says it's History, that means the problem is not detected at that moment. If it says Current, the problem is detected right now. Take it for a drive and check the codes while it's idling and post those and whether they're current or history.

As for cleaning the throttle body, you will need some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush or some rags. It can be a messy job. The duct from the air filter into the intake has to be removed (very easy) and the plastic MAF sensor housing needs to be removed (also very easy with three bolts) to get to the throttle body. Once you have those off, and with the ignition OFF, open the throttle blade and clean around the edge and back side of the blade as well as the opening it sits in. They don't have to be spotless, but get as much as you can off of it in 10 minutes time. Put it all back together and disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Reconnect it and take it for a drive. You may notice the idle behaving a little strangely, and don't worry about it. It may need to readjust for the now clean throttle body bore and blade. Give it a day or two and everything will be normal.

Don't worry about cleaning the EGR valve unless you see a specific EGR code. It's more trouble than it's worth if there's no code and no other indication that it may need to be cleaned. As for the PCV valve, just replace it. They're about $1 to $5 at many auto parts stores and can be replaced in 1 minute's time. Not worth cleaning. It's on the cam cover on the rear bank of cylinders and has a long plastic hose connected to it that goes to the intake housing. Pop off the hose and pull the PCV valve out. Put the new one in and put the hose on it. Done.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

MMD
03-08-05, 08:11 AM
thanks. the car doesn't drive. the power and everything works, it turns over but won't start. but once i get it moving i do the driving thing.

mcowden
03-08-05, 10:15 AM
I'm not familiar with that code exactly, but I think you should check the fuel pump fuses. Not sure where they are exactly, but look at the under-hood panel, in the glove box, and in the trunk behind the rear seats if you can't find it. If it turns over but doesn't start, it's not getting either fuel or spark. The code tells me it's probably fuel, and the pump fuse is a quick thing to check. You don't by chance have access to a fuel pressure gauge, do you? When you turn the ignition to the ON position (not START), do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds?

MMD
03-08-05, 11:37 AM
no, no access to the gauge thing.well, when the computer runs the codes, i hear a mechanical buzzing/whirirng sound coming from the rear of the car.

mcowden
03-08-05, 11:39 AM
Is it continuous or does it run for a couple seconds and stop?

MMD
03-08-05, 12:28 PM
runs, then stops.