: Battery Dead, Car Does Not Start, Does car need to be reprogrammed?

cadillacst
07-26-13, 04:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I had my sts in my garage for a while, the battery died. When I tried to start up the car (with a car battery charger attached) it did not start and would give an error on the dashboard, I forget the error but some sort of theft message. When I attach the car battery charger I can play the radio, turn the dashboard lights on and off, but I can't turn the car on.

I tried some trouble shooting programming, like unlocking and locking the doors with the remote, popping the trunk open etc. But still the same message.

Will I have to take it to the dealership to have it reprogrammed? I imagine this would cost a lot. Or can I do this myself?

Also why does it not start, was it the fact that the battery died and thus the settings were forgottin?

dkozloski
07-26-13, 04:38 AM
After the battery is fully charged, disconnect the cables from the battery, touch the ends together for a few seconds, reconnect the battery and give it another try. That should reboot all the electronics. You may have to reprogram the "express up" on the power windows.

Submariner409
07-26-13, 09:46 AM
Yep ^^^

A battery charger alone will NOT start a car with a dead battery ..........

Depending on the size of your battery charger it may take overnight to get the battery 'full' enough to roll over the engine and start the car. Voltage is not what rolls over the engine - it's amperage (electrical "power"), and even a "12 amp" charger doesn't have the raw guts to do that.

What year is the car, and is the battery original ??? Any more than 5 years and the battery is probably toast - either sulfated up or dead cell.

As dkoz posted, you'll need to read your owner's manual and reset some of your vehicle personalization settings.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-26-13, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I had my sts in my garage for a while, the battery died. When I tried to start up the car (with a car battery charger attached) it did not start and would give an error on the dashboard, I forget the error but some sort of theft message. When I attach the car battery charger I can play the radio, turn the dashboard lights on and off, but I can't turn the car on.

I tried some trouble shooting programming, like unlocking and locking the doors with the remote, popping the trunk open etc. But still the same message.

Will I have to take it to the dealership to have it reprogrammed? I imagine this would cost a lot. Or can I do this myself?

Also why does it not start, was it the fact that the battery died and thus the settings were forgottin?

Hello cadillacst,

I see other members were able to offer you insight to your situation. I am sorry for any trouble you are going through with a dead battery. Please let me know if you are able to resolve this concern. I can be contacted via private message if you would like to further discuss anything.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

1crock
07-26-13, 12:51 PM
What Submariner said, you probably need a new battery.

cadillacst
08-01-13, 02:23 AM
So I just heard back from the dealership. I had taken it there last week and it has been there since. They notified me today that the cadillac has 3 computers that needed programming and that the bill is $640 !!!!

Please let me know if this is normal or not.

Thanks

dkozloski
08-01-13, 04:39 AM
Never heard of such a thing. They ain't got no buggy but you're being taken for a ride.

KRSTS
08-01-13, 02:17 PM
They are looking to put their hand in your pocket to the tune of $640. Try a new battery. FWIW I'd find a new dealer.

EChas3
08-01-13, 06:35 PM
What caused the battery failure?

I'm not sure what an attempt to start an STS on a charger would do to the various computer modules but they load from EPROM. If you didn't fry them, all you should have needed was a new battery. At dealer prices, that could get you halfway there. Did they tow it, too?

I agree with the above. I think they owe you.

cadillacst
08-02-13, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the comments. They did tow the car as it could not start. Also the year of the car is 2006. For those who recommended a new battery, I tried starting it with not an absolute new battery, but one that was relatively newer prior to taking it to the dealership and it did not work.

The dealership that I took it to is an official Cadillac dealership. From previous experience I can tell these people have absolutely no morals and would steal money from a baby if they could. But having said that, I had no choice but to go to them.

EChas3
08-02-13, 05:53 PM
Most of the unscrupulous ones got shut down in the purge of 2008. Sorry to hear one more survivied. I'm lucky enough to live between two good ones. One's cheaper but the other has better loaners through Enterprise & washes my car.

Find the best Cadillac dealer in your area. These cars will occasionally require their services.

Good luck!