: Pics of the 77 CDV after paint

lacville78
07-26-13, 01:21 AM
Some pics as promised, I will try to get some more at a more scenic location sometime later, also the front fender spear on the PS side was off due to it being loose after washing it. I didn't want to lose it, so I took it off and will re attach it more securely.
The front end is back together with the parts I got from CadillacKevin.
Thanks everyone!
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5448/9366323111_d2780dbc12_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/9366326363_577fbb0477_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/9366329255_5e97dabdaf_b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2830/9366332151_07c25c55cf_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/9366335205_fdc478a2bf_b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2874/9369117506_7c8193fff9_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/9369127104_de83e0a081_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7455/9366350833_e299d924f1_b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/9369136346_eee20d8dbc_b.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5343/9366364061_33851146a4_b.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/9369149418_20dd1f9130_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9369140302_c55dd34aaa_b.jpg

talismandave
07-26-13, 01:38 AM
Wow! That came out gorgeous!

nebulosity
07-26-13, 04:36 AM
Beautiful!!

1980coupe
07-26-13, 08:43 AM
Nice work.
Why are there holes in the hubcap and what happen to the front passenger side bumper?

talismandave
07-26-13, 09:06 AM
Old style of locks for wire caps.

1980coupe
07-26-13, 09:10 AM
I have locks on mine and it's not like these on his Caddy. Mine are on either side on the outer edges of the hubcap and lock into the slots of the rim.

The Ape Man
07-26-13, 09:26 AM
Nice!

1980coupe
07-26-13, 09:49 AM
Oh and mine are factory

Corey468
07-26-13, 10:00 AM
Very nice! She looks gorgeous.

The Ape Man
07-26-13, 12:01 PM
My '77CDV came with factory locking hubcaps. They used J bolts which fit into the slots in the wheel rims near where you would pound the wheel weights on. The bolts went through small holes in the hubcaps and there were little specialty nuts with keyed heads. You couldn't see the locks at 5 paces and the hubcap would not fly off.

Later models had captive J studs built into the hubcaps in the same spots. The studs got turned 90 degrees after popping the hubcaps on.

Still later the hubcaps from 1986 era turned into gutless wonders held on in the center. Very light and a similar but not so cool spoke wheel look. That's what I have. I do miss the look of the older caps a little.

Late hubcaps combined with factory 1981 alloy wheels (which were painted black from then factory) save about 11 lbs per wheel over a 1977 setup. I'm nuts about keeping unsprung weight low for the improved ride. A giant weight savings over the W.R. Grace and Co. spoked rims which came with my 1980 FLeetwood. A guy down South was happy to give me $1000.00 plus shipping back when ebay was nuts.

cadillac kevin
07-26-13, 01:11 PM
My 86 hubcaps are old style with the center lock bolt. I swear those things weigh 10lbs a piece. If those flew off, you'd do serious damage. And alloy rims? You mean wheels that looked like the steel wheels but were aluminum? Interesting. I guess those were a california thing (like the aluminum hoods)?

blueboy
07-26-13, 01:34 PM
Is that a new vinyl top? Be interested in how you protected it from paint?

cadillac kevin
07-26-13, 02:16 PM

I would think you just tape it off.

The Ape Man
07-26-13, 02:18 PM
My 86 hubcaps are old style with the center lock bolt. I swear those things weigh 10lbs a piece. If those flew off, you'd do serious damage. And alloy rims? You mean wheels that looked like the steel wheels but were aluminum? Interesting. I guess those were a california thing (like the aluminum hoods)?

The alloy rims came on certain 8/6/4 cars. Not sure where else. They look like regular steel at first. I've had mine since the mid 80's. My '80 Fleetwood 2 door has the aluminum hood and it has always been a NJ car. That is a crazy year for this model so who knows what they were up to.

lacville78
07-26-13, 02:44 PM
Nice work.
Why are there holes in the hubcap and what happen to the front passenger side bumper?
When I got the car it was missing the hubcaps, these are some beat up ones I got from the junkman for $10, the holes are probally from someone drilling out a lock or something.
And the bumper was like that when I got it, maybe wreck damage.

----------

Not new, it was masked and taped off.

----------

the W.R. Grace and Co. spoked rims which came with my 1980 FLeetwood.

The asbestos people made rims?

pompste
07-27-13, 04:50 AM
Beautiful!

nebulosity
07-29-13, 02:24 AM
GORGOUS color! :D

blueboy
07-29-13, 02:31 PM
What was your prepping work on this car? Hand rubbed or machine? If so what sander did you use ? Can you give us an idea of the total cost? Looks gorgeous!

jsherid1
07-29-13, 05:00 PM
Car looks great! Try a Magic Eraser (gently as they are mildly abrasive) and plenty of water and you can get the top back to almost new condition if it is not torn. The bumper should be able to be straightened as time and budget permit.

lacville78
07-30-13, 02:19 AM
What was your prepping work on this car? Hand rubbed or machine? If so what sander did you use ? Can you give us an idea of the total cost? Looks gorgeous!

I didn't paint it, I just removed all the Chrome, Mirrors, Lock Cylinders, Grille, etc.
The Car was taken to bare metal, and painted. It cost me $1700

If you want to know how to do it yourself check out CSBUCKIN's Thread. A lot to learn in there.

----------

Car looks great! Try a Magic Eraser (gently as they are mildly abrasive) and plenty of water and you can get the top back to almost new condition if it is not torn. The bumper should be able to be straightened as time and budget permit.

Good Plan, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

deVille33
07-30-13, 10:22 AM
That bumper damage is from hitting a high curb (I know). The top plate of the center section is bent. I have never tried to straighten them, just replace. The front center section can be straightened. The rest of the damage is in the brackets.

outsider
07-30-13, 10:27 AM
I think it gives a little character. my 87 has a round dent in the front bumper corner like a softball hit it.

blueboy
07-30-13, 11:34 AM
Would you mind giving us a little more info on your stripping to metal process please? I'm about to haver a go at Blueboy, my 1976 CDV. Thanks

cadillac kevin
07-30-13, 12:17 PM
That bumper damage is from hitting a high curb (I know). The top plate of the center section is bent. I have never tried to straighten them, just replace. The front center section can be straightened. The rest of the damage is in the brackets.

Do you know how to straighten a tweaked front bumper? Mine is racked about 1/4 inch downward on the right side from when it got hit a few years ago. It wouldn't be a problem except I can't install my right fender filler. I could shove it back up to where it should be with a 2 foot J-bar on the frame to bumper brace on the right side, but it would drop back down.

outsider
07-30-13, 12:49 PM
the front bumpers should be on pistons like the rear. Maybe the piston plate bent instead of compressing in?

cadillac kevin
07-30-13, 01:53 PM
the front bumpers should be on pistons like the rear. Maybe the piston plate bent instead of compressing in?

I looked at them when I crawled under it to try to readjust the right side chrome piece (need a new one because the bottom of it is bowed down). The pistons plates seem ok (nothing obviously messed up) and the bumper isn't shoved in or out. Maybe I could shim between the piston plate and the bumper and try to straighten it that way.

lacville78
07-30-13, 03:24 PM
Would you mind giving us a little more info on your stripping to metal process please? I'm about to haver a go at Blueboy, my 1976 CDV. Thanks
I just removed all of the chrome/ trim etc, and re installed it. They took the paint off.
They used a chemical called Aircraft Stripper, and sanded a bit for the primer to stick.
If you decide to use that chemical, BE CAREFUL! People have died using it, albeit usually when they were using it in bathrooms to strip tubs.
The fumes are what kills, the chemical itself will burn the skin, so wear gloves and work outdoors, and try not to breathe that crap.
That being said, it is cheap and works well.

deVille33
08-01-13, 08:42 AM
Do you know how to straighten a tweaked front bumper? Mine is racked about 1/4 inch downward on the right side from when it got hit a few years ago. It wouldn't be a problem except I can't install my right fender filler. I could shove it back up to where it should be with a 2 foot J-bar on the frame to bumper brace on the right side, but it would drop back down. I have never tried it, but I have a theory. Disassemble the bumper and remove the top plate and place it on a wooden work table. Use a block of wood (placed over the distorted area) and a sledge hammer, or a heavy dead blow hammer. It may not get back to the original contour, but it should be very close. As I say, I haven't tried it, as yet, but it may be worth the effort. :thepan:

cadillac kevin
08-01-13, 09:29 AM
I have never tried it, but I have a theory. Disassemble the bumper and remove the top plate and place it on a wooden work table. Use a block of wood (placed over the distorted area) and a sledge hammer, or a heavy dead blow hammer. It may not get back to the original contour, but it should be very close. As I say, I haven't tried it, as yet, but it may be worth the effort. :thepan:

The problem is there is no visible damage to the main bumper to fix. It's not dented or anything. It is twisted just enough that the right fender filler will not fit (it's ABS, so the bumper has to be perfectly straight). I've been on the hunt for a new bumper at the junkyards, but finding a bumper that has nicer chrome than mine is proving to be a challenge (mine has super light scratches on it (part of the finish?) and tiny pinpoint dimples in the finish.) I've also been looking at sub 1k parts cars (occassionally one will pop up that looks nice inside and out but has a bad trans or rear end or something)

outsider
08-01-13, 10:08 AM
I would try shimming the bumper where it's bent and then tighten down the bolts. Over time it may unbend.

If not, you could maybe try clamping the bumper down and trying to bolt a pry bar like apparatus to the bent section and pry it up. I dunno, but it should be able to be straightened!

cadillac kevin
08-01-13, 11:28 AM
I would try shimming the bumper where it's bent and then tighten down the bolts. Over time it may unbend.

If not, you could maybe try clamping the bumper down and trying to bolt a pry bar like apparatus to the bent section and pry it up. I dunno, but it should be able to be straightened!

Thats what I'm thinking. I need to find my 14 pounder and use it on the right side piece and pry up...a J bar isn't cutting it. (I need to replace the right side piece anyways so it doesnt matter if I mess that part up....its shoved in too far)

deVille33
08-04-13, 09:27 AM
Believe me, I am somewhat of an authority on the bumpers. Your rear bumper (1977) is a one year only production bumper. It has indents for the reflectors. I have gotten replacements from Texas and Oklahoma. I totally disassemble them, clean out the rust and treat the back side of the bumper with a sealer. It is a lot of work, but it ensures that the bumper does not rot out from the backside. I have been looking for a manner to stamp out new support sections, but am now considering welding in sections to repair the vertical braces. Front bumpers? I have many and I have taken the top plates out and had them re-plated. Top plates? I have several, and a lot of them have that bend from hitting the right bumper end up and twisting the face plate. I plan on turning my attention to the front bumpers after I finish my rear bumper projects. But if you are looking for some good sections for your front bumper, I can supply them. I have stripped out several of these cars and have several front bumpers.