: Daytime running lights

TripleBlackCadillac
03-06-05, 03:11 PM
Ok guys, I know this is a tired subject but bear with me. I've only had my 96 for about three months and just started driving her this week. So I'm still trying to figure everything out.

I want to disconnect the DRL. I did a search and it says to disconnect the DRL realy from the relay center, but where the hell is this relay center. Please let me know, thanks.

Adumb
03-06-05, 03:29 PM
why do you need them disconnected?

TripleBlackCadillac
03-06-05, 04:12 PM
why do you need them disconnected?

Because I don't like daytime running lights.

carguy16
03-06-05, 04:25 PM
They are there to benefit everyone else on the road, and you too.

I see it all to often people that drive going down the road with the sun over head in the sky, and their lights off. Its twilight first thing in the morning, or the suns going down, and they have their lights off. It just makes it harder to see these cars.

It should be a federal law to require all cars to have DRL's, just like the 3rd brake lamp. Some people think they only need them when its at night, wrong.

Because I don't like daytime running lights.

TripleBlackCadillac
03-06-05, 05:28 PM
I understand the pros and the cons guys. But their are times when I need to turn them off and I can't. If anyone knows how where the relay is please post up, thanks.

DaveSmed
03-06-05, 11:31 PM
Benifit.... to each thier own. I can figure out when my lights are necessary, and at any other time, it just needlessly shortens the life of the bulb, and is an additional load on the electrical system. Some systems don't dim enough and can produce glare too. To each thier own however. I have a post that shows the relay location, i'll try and dig it up for you.

Now twilight sentinel.... That is a good feature for the people who CAN'T figure out when to turn ther lights on, thats a solution that is sensible, not leaving them on all the time. In fact, the reason twilight sentinel has had such availability as of late is because there were lawsuits stemming from people using there DRLs at night. DRLs=no taillights.

At anyrate, if you like them and feel that they add to the look of the car, or safety, then more power to you. just a dissenting opinion..... (FWIW im the kinda guy that unplugs the seat belt chime too, I can remember without the annoying buzzer.)

Wheels
03-07-05, 01:02 PM
I think the DRL relay is behind the pass side kick panel. At least that's where it is on a Impala SS. I also want to remove this from my 96 Cadillac FWB. As for the safety B.S. at one time motorcycles were required to use headlights at all times to make them stand out and to save X amount of lives. But now that most cars on the road have DRLs (to save X amount of lives) the motorcycles don't standout anymore. Sounds like a fair trade off to me. Who cares about killing the motorcyclist (he was a rebel anyway) but let's save the idiot who can't see a car in broad daylight.

Adumb
03-08-05, 12:10 AM
i love my twilight sentinal. the only thing that sucks is its made me lazy. when i drive my moms jeep i either forget to turn the headlight on. or i forget to turn them off.

TripleBlackCadillac
03-08-05, 01:12 PM
I think I'm going to get banned from the local drive-in movie theater if I don't get this DRL situation resolved. Thanks guys.

Adumb
03-08-05, 01:16 PM
lol, yeah, i guess that would suck i never thought of that. at least the twilight sentinal can be turned off

kmhebert
03-08-05, 01:38 PM
I think I'm going to get banned from the local drive-in movie theater if I don't get this DRL situation resolved. Thanks guys.

Ha, you can't have that! All the drive-ins around here have closed down for the most part, it's unfortunate. We used to go all the time when I was younger, and they always showed 2 movies for the price of one! You can't beat that right?

Adumb
03-08-05, 01:49 PM
yup, we got one where i live and it has two screens and each screen shows 2 movies for the price of one, and you get to sit in your car. which when you drive a caddy, thats a great thing.

TripleBlackCadillac
03-13-05, 04:23 PM
ttt

still need to find the exact location please.

Monsterpuff
03-15-05, 12:31 AM
I would really like to know aswell and i have asked this question in another forum the only answer i got that didnt work was to push the e brake down a couple clicks

TripleBlackCadillac
03-15-05, 12:29 PM
ttt

Revoh
03-15-05, 02:27 PM
Don't they have their own little bulbs? Maybe you could just take the bulbs out of the light assembly (I don't have them, so I'm not sure how they're put together).

DaveSmed
03-17-05, 04:17 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=197338&postcount=6

See if this helps.

Monsterpuff
03-21-05, 04:01 AM
Ttt

cadiDADI
03-21-05, 09:33 PM
I would love to see a drive-in around here, but don't your DRL turn off when the car is in park? I am actually considering making some prop so when it is about 6-7pm, i can cover up the DRL sensor, so I can have my parking lights on, sometimes the DRL just don't look as cool.

DaveSmed
03-21-05, 11:23 PM
Ttt
...From the link I posted.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5230

TripleBlackCadillac
03-31-05, 05:10 PM
I would love to see a drive-in around here, but don't your DRL turn off when the car is in park? I am actually considering making some prop so when it is about 6-7pm, i can cover up the DRL sensor, so I can have my parking lights on, sometimes the DRL just don't look as cool.

No, once you have already put your vehicle into drive the light stay on until you turn off the igntion, no matter what gear you put it in.

I understand I need to disconnect the DRL relay but I have no idea where the DRL relay is located. I need to know where it is mounted on the car guys, thanks.