: Door panel and weatherstrip r&r

Andringa
07-26-13, 12:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had the doors apart or knows how they are held together.

I opened my drivers door into a rock and dented the bottom edge, I'm thinking my PDr guy can get to it but he asked me to get the interior panel off first. I'm not sure where to start.

On the passenger side I have some small hail dents in the thin metal strip just above both windows. Any pointers on pulling those off the doors would be appreciated as well. Most likely ill have to replace them. But at $300+ I figure it's worth it to try and get the dents out first.

MoistCabbage
07-26-13, 12:35 AM
Part of the PDR process (and cost), is interior trim removal. Unless he's giving you a deal, tell him to do it.

Faber
07-26-13, 11:57 AM
post has been here more than an hour and Darkman hasn't posted up a pdf?

odla
07-26-13, 03:10 PM
This should help. Darkman provided this so i won't take credit.

NCOGNITO
07-27-13, 12:56 PM
On the passenger side I have some small hail dents in the thin metal strip just above both windows. Any pointers on pulling those off the doors would be appreciated as well. Most likely ill have to replace them. But at $300+ I figure it's worth it to try and get the dents out first.

I have some weird dents in mine too, anyone know how to get these off? The dealership wants $150 in parts and $150 labor per door, surely they come off and I can just replace the trim pieces?

gruvent
07-28-13, 01:04 PM

NCOGNITO
07-28-13, 09:50 PM
Sweet! That's exactly what I'm looking for! The removal step says something about sealing strip removal on page 8-304, do you have this page and the instructions for the rear door I it's different than the front door? I can PM you may email address if that's easier to send?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Andringa
07-29-13, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info everybody, I was camping this weekend and just got back to a computer to check on this thread.

----------

Part of the PDR process (and cost), is interior trim removal. Unless he's giving you a deal, tell him to do it.

Yep, I found a PDR guy that does great work, the last one he got out of my rear quarter cost me $30. Part of that price was the fact that I pulled the rear seat and trim before he worked on the car so that he didn't have to spend his time doing it. I had previously taken it to the dealer and they said they couldn't get to it and they could glue tab it or leave it the way it was. :(

The dealer appears to do fine on the easy to get to dents, but they looked at where this dent was on the door and didn't think they could do anything with this one either.

----------

I have some weird dents in mine too, anyone know how to get these off? The dealership wants $150 in parts and $150 labor per door, surely they come off and I can just replace the trim pieces?

My dealer body shop quoted me full MSRP on the two trim parts which is Front: $196.27 and Rear $185.00 but only $48 to swap them out. (0.8 Hours @ $60/hr). About $450 all said and done.

Luke was willing to sell them for $140 each, but they are an awkward (and expensive) sized/shaped thing to ship.

Did you find them cheaper anywhere online?

NCOGNITO
08-01-13, 11:49 PM
My dealer body shop quoted me full MSRP on the two trim parts which is Front: $196.27 and Rear $185.00 but only $48 to swap them out. (0.8 Hours @ $60/hr). About $450 all said and done.

Luke was willing to sell them for $140 each, but they are an awkward (and expensive) sized/shaped thing to ship.

Did you find them cheaper anywhere online?

You can get the fronts for $147 and rears for $138 here --> http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/WEATHERSTRIP-Door-Weatherstrip/3029183/25778956.html

Shipping is $16 but only $2 more for the second trim piece, $305 for front and rear passenger side shipped. You can google and find them for a few dollars less elsewhere, but not sure how well you can do on the shipping without trying on all the different sites.

Andringa
08-02-13, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the site. I've looked at a lot of the online GM parts websites lately, but that one actually has a really good tool for looking up and finding specific parts. A bunch of the other sites only listed the Driver side trim pieces.

Have you actually ordered from them? How long did you have to wait to get parts?

NCOGNITO
08-02-13, 02:56 PM
Haven't ordered from them but they are a Buick/GMC dealer that sells parts online (probably at a lower price than what you'd pay at the counter) instead of just an online retailer. I appreciate the fact their site has the full parts catalog with diagrams, which most dealers don't want you to see :-)

Andringa
08-02-13, 04:45 PM
Haven't ordered from them but they are a Buick/GMC dealer that sells parts online (probably at a lower price than what you'd pay at the counter) instead of just an online retailer. I appreciate the fact their site has the full parts catalog with diagrams, which most dealers don't want you to see :-)

I believe that all of those websites that sell GM parts are backed by a dealer. www.gmpartsdirect.com is one of the more popular ones, but while they have decent prices I've heard just horrible things about their shipping times and customer service after the sale.

That is by far the best GM parts lookup site that I have seen online. It has more in depth diagrams than most of the online lookup have.