: New Owner of an 04 V.

vms4evr
07-25-13, 11:53 PM
Wednesday I pick up an 2004 CTS-V from the original owner. No mods, clean, all factory recall, diff mess, etc. have been done. So the rear is upgraded. The motor mounts have been done. The NAV refurbished with latest DVD. New dash cover. Interior and exterior look like new. Well maintained and driven by a car guy. He owns an 09 V now and decided he didn't need 2 Vs...

I've been looking for a while and this is local and fits my requirements. I've owned an 06 CTS and own a modified 02 Z06. I do almost all my own wrenching. So I'm familiar with a bunch of things in the car. The rest I'll learn as I go. Since I modified the hell out of my Z06 and it is now a fairly dedicated track car. I promised myself I would not mod this one or put it on track. I also lie sometimes... :)

I did notice the car is too quiet... so maybe a catback... It has new tires on it but I don't like them much and will probably toss them and put some PS2s on it. I'm thinking of staggered tire sizes. The pictures I see of the ones with a bit lower profile and fatter in the rear look better. Ok, so maybe a couple of upgrades. lol.

H-town_V
07-26-13, 02:11 AM
Welcome and congrats on what sounds like a very nice car. Post some pics. I would also spend a couple of weeks just going through new and old threads, and learn what works and what doesn't. If your suspension is completely stock adding wider/stickier rear tires is gonna make the wheel hop even worse (I think).

RyRidesMotoX
07-26-13, 04:16 AM
Pics!!!

rand49er
07-26-13, 08:14 AM
^^^ Yeah, that.

If you want a little extra sound, don't do a Corsa ... too quiet with OEM cats. A B&B or a Magnaflow will give you a bit more, but you probably know that already.

Welcome!

seeyouinajif
07-26-13, 03:46 PM
Congrats! I agree, stock exhaust is much too quiet. X pipe and magnaflows are in my future.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Ak Jim
07-26-13, 06:08 PM
Love my Corsa!

vms4evr
07-28-13, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys. I've been on this forum on and off for 3 years. Studying an 06 CTS that belongs to my now, ex... Drove it a lot. Always liked the CTS, love my Z06. So the V is just a perfect balance of both. I've been reading the V section for some time now. So I'll try not to ask too many silly questions. The usual stuff newbies ask about what tires, brakes, oil, blah blah I'm good with. Already know what I'm doing on that. Some particulars to the V I'll ask fore input on and lend a hand where I can. This will be my DD/waxer car. I want it to look sharp and don't need to rag on it. So I might do wheels, definitely don't care for the Hankooks he put on it. Still have a nice kit from Zaino laying around so it'll get polished up next weekend and really shine. Then I'll take and post some pics.

eagle-co94
07-29-13, 10:04 PM
I just picked up my '05 a few weeks ago myself and also have thought it's way too quiet. I'm hoping to change that here real soon. I just found an '05 parts car that looks like it might have a Magnaflow system on it so I'm crossing my fingers.

carlson_mn
07-29-13, 10:33 PM
congrats on the new pickup and enjoy her! I have Hankook ventus V12 on my car and they grip good and are quiet with great mileage, but everybody has their own preferences for a tire. Magnaflow is awesome... although I haven't heard it without headers. Anyways enjoy the car...

vms4evr
07-29-13, 10:36 PM
Let me know how it works if you do it. I've tried Magnaflow in the past and didn't like their product. The quality as far as construction goes looked great. The car resonated badly though. They didn't do a good job with low rpm booming in the cabin. I took it off and sold it 2 days later. Young guy bought it and thought it was awesome. To each his own. I just want a bit or umble and raspy when wide open. Corsa rocks for removing resonance and their quality is good but pricey and tends to be more quiet. I had one of those too. Borla and B&B are somewhere on the order I'm looking for.

First I'll clean it up and just feel it out. It needs the alignment done so I'm thinking more aggressive. I'm used to running with a lot of negative camber and bit of toe.

philistine
07-29-13, 11:29 PM
I also have Hankook ventus V12 and I think they perform all around very well. I use the RS3 for auto-x and love them! I have the SW header back exhaust and quite satisfied with the sound.

carlson_mn
07-29-13, 11:34 PM
Let me know how it works if you do it. I've tried Magnaflow in the past and didn't like their product. The quality as far as construction goes looked great. The car resonated badly though. They didn't do a good job with low rpm booming in the cabin. I took it off and sold it 2 days later. Young guy bought it and thought it was awesome. To each his own. I just want a bit or umble and raspy when wide open. Corsa rocks for removing resonance and their quality is good but pricey and tends to be more quiet. I had one of those too. Borla and B&B are somewhere on the order I'm looking for.

First I'll clean it up and just feel it out. It needs the alignment done so I'm thinking more aggressive. I'm used to running with a lot of negative camber and bit of toe.

What I was getting at was I have kooks headers and magnaflow and it sounds awesome. First day I had it driving it home up the hills in Pennsylvania I thought it was a little loud but I got used to it and it is quiet at cruise, but a can of whoop ass when you get on it.

thebigjimsho
08-01-13, 08:40 PM
My catless B&B was incredible.

eagle-co94
08-01-13, 09:35 PM
Well it turns out my parts car does have a Magnaflow system on it so that'll be my first mod. So excited! I'll do a before and after video...as if there aren't enough of them already.

Let me know if you decide to chuck your tires as I'm going to need a set here real soon and if they still have plenty of life left I might be interested.

vms4evr
08-11-13, 01:48 PM
Finally got it. We had some delays between our schedules.

Quick cleanup and wax just to grab a few pics.

Oh and I installed the rear spoiler. It didn't come with it.

http://s242.photobucket.com/user/vms4evr/library/CTS-V

NCOGNITO
08-11-13, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the pickup! Where in NC are you located and where did you get the wing? I've been debating this since I bought mine, how tough was the install?

vms4evr
08-11-13, 09:40 PM
Thanks. I'm in Durham. Found the car in Chapel Hill. Original owner. He got a new V and sold me this one. So far it runs great. It's funny driving driving this LS6 CTS-V after my LS6 Z06. Not getting very good gas mileage out of it but that is likely the way I drive it.

That wing is on Ebay and was $160. The color matches about perfect and it is good quality paint. The install is a pita. You need 2 people so you can hold things still while you tape down the marking locators. You have a decent size hole to drill inside the trunk so you can get the 10mm socket around the nut to tighten it. I'm going to get rubber grommets to seal those holes so it looks factory.

Once you decide to do it you're keeping it cause you're making holes in the trunk lid. This style is not stick-on with 3M tape like some pieces are.

I like the look of the car without it and it looks more like a sleeper. I also like the look with it on as it gives the tail end a little attitude to go with that front end grill assembly and dropped nose that is almost looks like a built-in splitter.

thebigjimsho
08-13-13, 02:20 PM
I've always preferred sans wing because of the timeless, classic lines of the V...

StretchASU
08-13-13, 03:18 PM
Nice car...I am in Durham as well and just picked up my new to me 05 last month.

vms4evr
08-13-13, 07:55 PM
Hey Stretch, I see you also got a silver one with the factory spoiler. Twins almost... lol...

I see you commented on doing some HPDE days with it. I'll assume you want to run it up at VIR? I've thought about it but will probably keep it as my DD and clean. I have a Z06 I was going to sell but may keep now. I've been on several tracks up and down the east cost and I see a V out there from time to time. Not a very popular car to track. I would imagine this car is worse on rotors than the Vette, and the Vette eats them like candy. The V does feel tight and the balance doesn't feel too bad. My Vette is now basically a track car. Gutted, suspension redone, motor worked over, and balance is dead on. You most certainly can feel the weight of the V. Since you said in your other thread you were running an M3 or some 3-series. I'd be curious about your feedback on it after doing an event.

I'm definitely thinking even as a DD that shifter has to go. God is it sloppy and wide.

It's a nice break from driving a Silverado everyday.

NCOGNITO
08-13-13, 08:02 PM
Wow - didn't realize there were so many fellow V owners in the Raleigh area. I'm in Garner and work on Capital, we'll need to meet up one of these days at the local Cars and Coffee in Cary.

NC-V
08-13-13, 08:09 PM
Apparently the party is out in Raleigh! Charlotte area here, sometimes make it out to Raleigh area though.

StretchASU
08-13-13, 08:25 PM
I have still yet to run an event in the V and probably wont until next spring once I get it sufficiently track prepped. No way I would run it as-is. Nothing is wrong, I just learned with the M3 and it gave me better insight on what to address and build first to make a more reliable car for HPDE days and DD status. VIR is the closest for us but I have ties to CMP and am more familiar with that track so the first couple of events will probably be there. The added weight of the V will be the biggest thing to get used to so I will probably go down there to work with my instructor a few times before tackling a new track. The only place I would really get walked on in the M was the front straight and leading into "The Kink". That car put down 219/201 on Draco's dyno down in Mooresville and had horrible A/F's so there was a lot left on the table IMO.

Agreed on the shifter. Mine is actually pretty good since the bushings look to have been replaced at some point recently, but the throw absolutely sucks. I can live with it for now until it starts to get a ton of side to side play again. Just going to add the RevShift trans mount in the next week or two to try and tighten things up a little more.

I traded in my 04 Denali for this so I understand your feeling about the Silverado lol.

vms4evr
08-13-13, 11:16 PM
Incognito, funny you should mention that. This gal at work is all about the Cars and Coffee in Cary. She has been after me about bring out my Z06 for a couple of years. I was going to but I'd be fine bringing the V and meeting up with a bunch of V owners too.

Stretch, It's definitely a lot more weight to handle on track than I am used too. My C5 is gutted and lightened out to about 2800lbs dry with no driver. Putting 456hp to the wheels. It doesn't go slow anywhere... ;-) I've done CMP on the original layout before repaving and didn't care for it much. Since it got new owners several years back and they paved some critical parts and changed the last section some. It was more fun. It's technically challenging but not as fast as other tracks I drive. VIR is great if you have lots of HP. I've done it in a friends old Miata that had less than 100hp. It went the same speed the whole track. I fell asleep on the back straight, lol... I love VIR and WG. They have a lot of similarities. Lots of elevation changes I enjoy more than doing flat tracks. If you want to try something safer go down to Roebling Road and doing some testing there.

People on here seem to feel this pissnuoff shifter upgrade is good. I was thinking his upgrade or the Katech with UUC bushings.