: speeding ticket: 78 in a 55

Adumb
03-06-05, 10:55 AM
alright so im going down this road and the speed limit is 55 and the car in front of me is going 50, so i pass him. there was a cop driving in the other direction (towards me) and he turns around and pulls me over. first of all my speedometer bounces sooo much i have no idea how fast im actually going when im driving fast. so i may have hit 78, but only in the passing lane so i didnt get into a head on collision by taking too long to pass. 3rd he was moving so theres no way he 'clocked' me at anything right?, radar gets thrown outta whack when the cop car is in motion, right? i guess im gonna have to fight this ticket cuz i already pay 2400 in insurance a year. but its my 1st ticket and i was passing!!! oh well, i guess if i cant fight it i cant keep her on the road.:crying2:

davesdeville
03-06-05, 04:26 PM
Did the cop ask if you were going to fight it or pay it? If so I hope you said you'd fight it. I didn't know a 4100 could even GO 78 :D

crockone
03-06-05, 04:50 PM
no matter what you go to court see the prosecuter and talk to him and they will downgrage the ticket,, im sure of this trust me.. if you dont want any points just get a lawyer.. i will cost you about 3 - 500 bucks.. but its well worth it cause your insurance will go up, you will get a ser charge, and sometimes kicked off your insurance.. 500 bucks is way less than the amount your ins will cost you in the longn run..

EvilXbox
03-06-05, 05:53 PM
78 in a 55...NICE! The funniest thing I've seen for along time. Wonder what I cop would to if you were doin 120 ina 35...:histeric:

crockone
03-06-05, 06:12 PM
well i got 68 in a 25... believe it or not there was like 5 cars all doing the same speed on a side 4 lane street. we all got pulled over.. they had a guy with camo and a radar in the bushes by a house... i was like wtf.. the guy even had face paint on.. i mean it was funny.. but they were *******s... i had to pay a lawyer 550 plus 350 in fines and i walked out of court like i was da man.. :)

Ralph
03-06-05, 06:41 PM
That's stupid. They should make an exception when someone is passing because it's better to speed up and pass quickly that take your time and have an accident!

Now, if only people in front of me would speed up when merging I wouldn't have to worry about the semi over my left shoulder coming at me!! I've seen people slow right down!!! They are just asking to be rear-ended! Then it takes forever to get up to speed again and it wastes fuel.

illumina
03-06-05, 07:49 PM
This is what happens when you speed or drive negligently:

davesdeville
03-06-05, 08:42 PM
78 in a 55...NICE! The funniest thing I've seen for along time. Wonder what I cop would to if you were doin 120 ina 35...:histeric:

Heh my friend knows a dude in the driver improvement class who was doing like 128 or something redonkulous in a 35. It would've been 6 points... which is free reign for an insurance company to take you in the ass.

Adumb
03-07-05, 12:57 AM
Did the cop ask if you were going to fight it or pay it? If so I hope you said you'd fight it. I didn't know a 4100 could even GO 78 :D

... a***ole, lol

Adumb
03-07-05, 01:01 AM
That's stupid. They should make an exception when someone is passing because it's better to speed up and pass quickly that take your time and have an accident!

i completely agree. i think at least they probably give some leanience, but not when youre doing 78 at 130 in the morning. but since the guy in front of me was doing 50 and i was following him, my 4.1 would have to go from 50 to 78 in the time it took me to pass. i dont think so, i dont trust moving radar at all. he was probably doing 60 or 65 and assumed he was doing the speed limit so it added 5 - 10 mph to my speed.

Elvis
03-07-05, 12:38 PM
...he was moving so theres no way he 'clocked' me at anything right?, radar gets thrown outta whack when the cop car is in motion, right?

They can clock you with radar when they're moving. It doesn't matter.

blingblingcv
03-07-05, 02:07 PM
Heh my friend knows a dude in the driver improvement class who was doing like 128 or something redonkulous in a 35. It would've been 6 points... which is free reign for an insurance company to take you in the ass.

The guy is in driver improvement class, they are letting him keep his license? What the hell was a guy going 128 in a 35 for? Thats is really funny though and stupid.

Adumb
03-07-05, 02:18 PM
They can clock you with radar when they're moving. It doesn't matter.

yeah, i asked my dad and he said that, but i guess its called moving radar and its easier to get a reduction with because its less accurate.

Ralph
03-07-05, 04:03 PM
yeah, i asked my dad and he said that, but i guess its called moving radar and its easier to get a reduction with because its less accurate.

All the cop does is enter how fast he is going, then anything else moving, well, he has you.

Adumb
03-07-05, 06:30 PM
All the cop does is enter how fast he is going, then anything else moving, well, he has you.

yeah, so for all i know he coulda been going 60 and thought he was doing the speed limit(55), that would add an extra 5 mph to my speed, right?

davesdeville
03-07-05, 06:42 PM
The guy is in driver improvement class, they are letting him keep his license? What the hell was a guy going 128 in a 35 for? Thats is really funny though and stupid.

Apparently it was on some road where the speedlimit is very low for the conditions of the road. I guess the judge knew that and was a bit leniant. That guy is what we like to call one lucky mofo.

Ralph
03-07-05, 06:45 PM
yeah, so for all i know he coulda been going 60 and thought he was doing the speed limit(55), that would add an extra 5 mph to my speed, right?

I'm willing to bet that the computers in those radar guns automatically calculate everything automatically now. It doesn't matter if your driving into his direction on the highway, they'll get us.

Elvis
03-07-05, 06:57 PM
I'm willing to bet that the computers in those radar guns automatically calculate everything automatically now. It doesn't matter if your driving into his direction on the highway, they'll get us.

Three out of the four tickets I've gotten were head-on. (plus two of the tickets I didn't get--the cop couldn't get turned around quick enough to catch me!)

I haven't had a ticket in nearly 20 years. The technology has been there all along. It has something to do with the movement of the car relative to the ground or surrounding objects. Somehow radar locks in and figures it out.

illumina
03-07-05, 06:57 PM
I think the radars use the same basic technology that the ANPPS-5 and 15 series radars used when I was in the Army. They detected movement and were quite accurate on their readings.

In other words, they'll getcha!

Adumb
03-07-05, 11:38 PM
yeah, i guess the 40 bucks for a radar detector is worth it, i was gonna buy one and never got around to it, you know how those things work. well, i guess its 1st thing ill do after i pay off my ticket... yup, first thing, lol

Kev
03-07-05, 11:43 PM
If the radar detector is properly calibrated it (acording to the CHP) can acurately measure speed coming and going, in a stationary or moving patrol car.

Adumb
03-08-05, 10:51 AM
yeah, so in other words, i wish my cruise control worked, cuz i have a lead foot.

Elvis
03-08-05, 02:38 PM
I haven't used a radar detector in a long time. I'm old and slow now.

I remember being really confused reading about states outlawing radar detectors. Cops had "radar detector detectors" and would pull you over whether you were speeding or not.

So then the radar detector companies invented--get this--"RADAR DETECTOR DETECTOR DETECTORS" that would shut your unit off in the event that the cops were sniffing around for you.

So then, they said, the cops were going to get "RADAR DETECTOR DETECTOR DETECTOR DETECTORS."

That's when I got really sleepy and turned off the computer for about a month. I figured I needed a break.

Adumb
03-08-05, 02:44 PM
I remember being really confused reading about states outlawing radar detectors. Cops had "radar detector detectors" and would pull you over whether you were speeding or not.

So then the radar detector companies invented--get this--"RADAR DETECTOR DETECTOR DETECTORS" that would shut your unit off in the event that the cops were sniffing around for you.

So then, they said, the cops were going to get "RADAR DETECTOR DETECTOR DETECTOR DETECTORS."

That's when I got really sleepy and turned off the computer for about a month. I figured I needed a break.

lol:histeric: yeah, the only thing that would suck about having a radar dectector is if you actually get pulled over for speeding, itd be embarassing

Kev
03-08-05, 04:09 PM
lol:histeric: yeah, the only thing that would suck about having a radar dectector is if you actually get pulled over for speeding, itd be embarassing
LOL, that's what happened to me, i had a detector and it didn't sense the type of radar that zapped me. That's the last time I used it. The officer saw it and asked If I had it on, didn't it go off? I said "Nope, guess it's time to loose that piece of junk." He laughed and handed me the ticket. :nono:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-08-05, 04:15 PM
cops also run "instant on" guns , flick of the swtich and theyve got you ....by the time your detector goes off your fried ..thats how the nailed me going 105 in a 55 (slowing down from 140 as i saw the cop before my detectors went off)..but it was too late , he saw me running down the mountain and flying ...he knew if he waited till just the right moment to pop me hed have a nice one for the boys in the locker room ....

Had to go before the magistrate in fairbanks ....he asked "why were you going that fast"...i shrugged and looked up at him , said "we all do stupid things when we were kids" ...judge agreed and said "yup i had a GTO when i was a kid".....

things worked out very well , it stayed off my record....

Adumb
03-08-05, 04:31 PM
my friend has a radar detector and ive been with him and the detector goes off before you can even see him. yeah, thats damn cool about 105 in a 55 not going on your record. what car were you doing 140 in?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-08-05, 04:34 PM
this one ....of coarse it wasnt like this at the time ...(seperate incident)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/959DSC00328-med.JPG

Adumb
03-08-05, 05:03 PM
first, what did you do to get ^that^ result. and second what kind of car is it?

freefaller07
03-08-05, 05:59 PM
Radar is usually right on. That was a horrible speeding ticket. You should be able to fight it if he was hiding. I live in wisconsin a law here is that the cop has to be visable from the roadway to "shoot" radar. At night they are required to have there parking lights on when using radar. We have no real speed traps here in Wisconsin and most cops are easily visable if there parked and using radar. I still use a radar detector for the ones in your situation. It keeps you aware not like you should be speeding anyhow.:shhh:

chevyorange
03-09-05, 07:15 PM
alright so im going down this road and the speed limit is 55 and the car in front of me is going 50, so i pass him. there was a cop driving in the other direction (towards me) and he turns around and pulls me over. first of all my speedometer bounces sooo much i have no idea how fast im actually going when im driving fast. so i may have hit 78, but only in the passing lane so i didnt get into a head on collision by taking too long to pass. 3rd he was moving so theres no way he 'clocked' me at anything right?, radar gets thrown outta whack when the cop car is in motion, right? i guess im gonna have to fight this ticket cuz i already pay 2400 in insurance a year. but its my 1st ticket and i was passing!!! oh well, i guess if i cant fight it i cant keep her on the road.:crying2:

At least you were having fun - my last ticket was 81 in a 70. Talk about a ripoff.

Adumb
03-09-05, 09:45 PM
At least you were having fun - my last ticket was 81 in a 70. Talk about a ripoff.

where do you live? a 70 mph zone?

Kev
03-09-05, 11:40 PM
where do you live? a 70 mph zone?We have a few 70's in CA.

Adumb
03-10-05, 02:05 PM
We have a few 70's in CA.

thatd be nice to have a 70 mph zone. if i were doing 78 there i probably wouldnt have gotten pulled over at all.

davesdeville
03-10-05, 06:12 PM
NM has a 75 limit, 65 here in the city with its 18 or so exits.. Ties with the highest speed limits in the US. My friend got an 84 in town so he had to go to driver improvement school.

Adumb
03-10-05, 06:23 PM
man, the cops probably arent to lenient in that 75 mph zone.

skides1
03-12-05, 02:25 AM
:halo: Go to court- at the very least they will drop it to a 10 over ticket that doesn't show up on your driving record (in most states) so they can still get thier money. I got pulled over doing 101 in a 65 by a cool cop who just wrote it up as 74 in a 65. I just relocated to Oklahoma and they have 75mph limits which would be cool if all the soccer moms, Toyota Camry drivers doing 74 in the fast lane would get the h*ll out of the way! 25 or 30 speeding tickets later, 4400 year for insurance, plus the fact I'll be damned if I give another Barney Fife another opportunity to invade my wallet=- I drove 72mph for 100 miles in a 75mph zone today: Fringe benefits; #1. I had no contact with any law enforcment officer who gets off on writing the maximum number of citations for stupid shi* on a driver just because he can (my record is 1100$ worth of BS citations for one stop),- 2. I made 15mpg which is 6mpg more than usual., 3. I enjoyed a significant reduction in blood pressure and road rage. 4. I didn't even have to use the AK- today was a good day (EZE)! Thank God! :halo:

davesdeville
03-12-05, 08:13 PM
man, the cops probably arent to lenient in that 75 mph zone.

Out of the city where it's 75, there's nothing, and the roads are wide and for the mostpart really straight. Traffic generally cruises between 80-85, with the left lane around 85-90. Last time I drove south on I25 the left lane was doing 100 (the 75 Deville kept up just fine.)

Adumb
03-12-05, 09:13 PM
:halo: Go to court- at the very least they will drop it to a 10 over ticket that doesn't show up on your driving record (in most states) so they can still get thier money. I got pulled over doing 101 in a 65 by a cool cop who just wrote it up as 74 in a 65. I just relocated to Oklahoma and they have 75mph limits which would be cool if all the soccer moms, Toyota Camry drivers doing 74 in the fast lane would get the h*ll out of the way! 25 or 30 speeding tickets later, 4400 year for insurance, plus the fact I'll be damned if I give another Barney Fife another opportunity to invade my wallet=- I drove 72mph for 100 miles in a 75mph zone today: Fringe benefits; #1. I had no contact with any law enforcment officer who gets off on writing the maximum number of citations for stupid shi* on a driver just because he can (my record is 1100$ worth of BS citations for one stop),- 2. I made 15mpg which is 6mpg more than usual., 3. I enjoyed a significant reduction in blood pressure and road rage. 4. I didn't even have to use the AK- today was a good day (EZE)! Thank God! :halo:

jeez, i was complaining about 2400 a year for insurance

STS 310
03-15-05, 05:32 PM
Seems that Los Angeles is using laser to check speeds. Must be pretty good stuff. Anybody use radar scramblers? I believe that there installed and not stand alone units.

Adumb
03-15-05, 08:39 PM
i had court today for this speeding ticket. the judge is letting me take a course and then come back in 2 months and she'll reduce the ticket, hopefully so it won't affect my insurance. and the course will give me 10% off liability for my insurance :)

danbuc
03-15-05, 10:09 PM
Hehe, I had court yesterday for my ticket. It was 84 in a 55, and they dropped it to 64 in a 55. I'm going to sign up for the defensive driving course, as soon as I find out how many point I got. How much did they say they would reduce it by?

Adumb
03-15-05, 10:55 PM
she didnt really say, im sure shell reduce it to under 15 so it doesnt go on my insurance, the class im takng will take up to 4 points off my license

danbuc
03-16-05, 03:50 AM
Is that class the same defensive driving class I'm thinking of, that's offered by the AAA or whatever? I've taken it once before almost 3 years ago, when I got my first ticket. Since your in New York, and I've also got a New York License (my Dad lives in Rockland County), I was just wondering if you knew how many points, 9 mph over the speed limit would carry with it. It was in Jersey, so only half transfer over anyway. Do you know If I can look that up on the DMV website by any chance? Thanks.

danbuc
03-16-05, 04:14 AM
Well, after about an hour or so, wandering around the NYDMV website, this is what I came up with. Apparently, they do not record out of state violations, and since my ticket was in New Jersey, I don't get any points, and the violation is not recorded to my Driver's License Record, or so they say. The exception though, is Ontario, and Quebec (not sure why though). I guess I just have to pay my fine to the Teaneck, NJ municiple court, and then I'm done. I always thought that half transfered over, but I guess not. Oh well, good luck with your court thing Adumb, hope they reduce it a good amount. Points suck! :annoyed:

Adumb
03-16-05, 11:13 AM
yeah, i hate speeding tickets. i wish i had a license to speed