: Nylon/Leather Top Replacement

nebulosity
07-25-13, 01:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure what the nylon/leather top part is called on my just above the back seat (can't find it in my shop manual), but it's going to need to be replaced (eventually, after I get it running). Is it nylon? Or some kind of treated leather?

Do people have them custom made, or does anyone re-make them themselves? I have a sewing machine, a degree in engineering and a lot of creativity, so I'd really like to redo it myself -- after all this *is* a project car. ;)

Are the assembly drawings hiding somewhere in my shop manual? I checked under the "body", and it only covers the frame and the things connected near the frame.

If not in the shop manual, does anyone know where I could get more information about how to replace this thing? If not, I'll just have to go out there and delicately try to figure out how to take it off and recover it. :noidea:

Any ideas appreciated.

turbojimmy
07-25-13, 02:43 PM
Package shelf?

outsider
07-25-13, 02:51 PM
I think i've heard it called the "rear deck" or "package shelf" or just about anything you can think of. lol.

Should be pretty easy to figure out how to remove and recover it. get in the trunk and look up, you should see how it's in there ;)

cadillac kevin
07-25-13, 02:58 PM
I think she's talking about the package shelf/ rear deck covering. To remove it properly, you need to remove the back seat (bottom then top) then simply slide it forward. Or you can just reach between it and the rear deck and yank it out and have the cloth fabric rip around the back seat supports (you can't tell because the fabric is several inches behind the seat back and it wouldn't matter because you are replacing the fabric anyways).

csbuckn
07-25-13, 05:26 PM
Is yours covered in vinyl or leather type material? I've only seen them in carpet type material. Take the back seat out and unhook the material. I just took it out and traced it onto the material I wanted and put it back on the cheap backing. The backing is probably gonna crumble but should stay in one piece.

brougham
07-26-13, 12:57 AM
I'm guessing it's the landau roof we're trying to talk about seeing as it's a coupe. It's vinyl. You're best off just getting a glass shop to replace it. It can go real bad fast if you don't know what you're doing.

MoistCabbage
07-26-13, 01:03 AM
I don't know of any glass shops that would even consider a roof replacement.

Some upholsterers and body shops do it, usually you need to find a specialty shop.

brougham
07-26-13, 01:28 AM
I don't know of any glass shops that would even consider a roof replacement.

Some upholsterers and body shops do it, usually you need to find a specialty shop.

Glass shops have always done that type of work. It's a hit and miss when you get into ones that are part of a chain tho. Body shops farm jobs like that out.

nebulosity
07-26-13, 04:40 AM
So it's called a Landau roof? Ive never heard that term before. yeah, I thought it might be vinyl. I'll do some more research to see if it's a replacement I can do myself.

Sorry to everyone for the confusion.. Im talking about the exterior of the car.

1980coupe
07-26-13, 09:03 AM
I've never heard it called as a landau top, I have heard it called as a cabriolet top, even though we all know a cabriolet is a convertible version of a coupe. I'll see where I saw it referenced to that, I believe it's on my window sticker...

----------

Oh and you can get the exact material and pre-made at www.smsautofabric.com

smokuspollutus
07-26-13, 12:29 PM
A "Landau" roof and a "Cabriolet" roof are two different things, technically speaking. A Landau roof should cover the rear 1/4 of the car. A Cabriolet (or Carriage) roof should extend over the full car. Those definitions were more so used for horse-drawn carriages, and by the 80's, the names really didn't matter, as seen in the '83 brochure, in which a rear 1/4 covering was known as a Cabriolet, and true Cabriolet covering known as a "full Cabriolet" roof

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67219675@N05/7906124048/in/photolist-d3CXeA-aP3R98-c8pLXu-ak1xtn-ahS5Lk-f6MU6t-71seoo-5DmJ3U-5Dh8ng-9vyys5-9FJPmv-5Dh8ni-8yg8me-8pw6DF-8yg8kr-8pzh3q-8pzh1j-8pw6Da-8pw6AF-8pzgZb-8pw6Ep-8pzgZE-8pw6Ca-8pw6A2-8pzh2u-cp6V5W-EZm9D-c8pN2C-c8pMBd-bCrT1s-bCrSVS-bCrSS7-bCrSyS-bCrSFf-bCrTeS-bCrStL-bCrSLh-bCrThL-bCrT5J-d3CWEQ-d3CWX5-d3CXqW-d3CWAY-d3CWQJ-d3CXJj-avjD3s-avgYix-avjCML-avgZA2-d3CXjA-avgYNn

nebulosity
07-26-13, 02:04 PM
I've never heard it called as a landau top, I have heard it called as a cabriolet top, even though we all know a cabriolet is a convertible version of a coupe. I'll see where I saw it referenced to that, I believe it's on my window sticker...

----------

Oh and you can get the exact material and pre-made at www.smsautofabric.com

Yay~! Thanks!!

----------

A "Landau" roof and a "Cabriolet" roof are two different things, technically speaking. A Landau roof should cover the rear 1/4 of the car. A Cabriolet (or Carriage) roof should extend over the full car. Those definitions were more so used for horse-drawn carriages, and by the 80's, the names really didn't matter, as seen in the '83 brochure, in which a rear 1/4 covering was known as a Cabriolet, and true Cabriolet covering known as a "full Cabriolet" roof

Thanks for the info! Great to know. :D

1980coupe
07-26-13, 03:42 PM
in which a rear 1/4 covering was known as a Cabriolet
in other words, I was right...

brougham
07-26-13, 05:22 PM
And wrong, since GM was making up their own terminology.

1980coupe
07-26-13, 08:22 PM
Guess they made up everything else then on my window sticker
http://i46.tinypic.com/nf4jv9.jpg

smokuspollutus
07-26-13, 10:45 PM
Guess they made up everything else then on my window sticker
Pretty much. But the words had long since lost their meaning by the time these cars were made.