: Help White stuff under oil cap!

mcz
03-06-05, 12:30 AM
Hey,

i was look at my car today and i was checking every thing out the fluids on the car and what not. then i took my oil cap off and there was 1/8 to 1/4 inch of white/tan gooey substance under it and in the oil valley. I know people that have Vw`s and have the same problem they say it is due to condonsation in the engin and due to short tips. But i has also heard that is a falt in the head gasket. If any one Has any input on this please let me know

- Thank you

CATERA 98
03-06-05, 04:20 AM
ohhh, that is normally not good, cause usually it means that ur caddy is starting to mix oil and water :-( sorry for u but i had the same prob last month!!

JoCan
03-06-05, 10:06 AM
I was thinking the same thing (oil and water mix) Sounds like it may be a head gasket.

Vesicant
03-06-05, 10:56 AM
mostlikely oilcooler

mcz
03-06-05, 06:00 PM
any other way to know for a fact? oil change see if it comes back, or any thing elese check other fluids to see if they mixed ?

Ralph
03-06-05, 06:45 PM
This is ancient history, but when I bought a '78 Monaco in 1986 it had the white under the cap too. I didn't even notice it until after I did my first oil change and then it took maybe one more oil change and it never came back after that! So hopefully it's just some condensation because I drove that Monaco for another two years with no notice of problems or the gooey stuff coming back.

Also, that car sat outside for quite awhile before I bought it, so I don't know if that's a factor.

vogel81
03-08-05, 09:29 AM
I would change your oil and see if the milky substance comes back. Also, keep an eye on your coolant resevoir for the milky substance. The Catera has a history of bad oil coolers, which unfortunately is not a cheap fix. If the oil cooler does fail, you could get either oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil. I believe that you would probably get oil in your coolant because the oil pressure should be higher than the coolant pressure. You may just have a little condensation in your oil and be fine, just be aware of both the oil and coolant (if you have a bad oil cooler, the sooner you get it fixed the better).

tatvamasi
03-09-05, 02:24 PM
Well, this stuff on mine turned out to be due to cold weather here in MN. It warmed up around 50 to 55 and no white sh** at all.

mcz
03-09-05, 03:32 PM
Hey thanks for all the help. I dont think it is the oil leaking or the coolent leaking i think it is due to cold weather. As the car has just sat in my driveway since december And in New Jersey it is pretty cold and has snowed like 5-6 times to date

Vesicant
03-09-05, 05:20 PM
That seems right .. keep an eye on it, as others are saying and you'll be a-ok :)

lacrosse293
12-15-05, 07:12 PM
I had the same problem with my 2000 Catera - the milky white oil sludge in filler tube and I live in NJ and it has been below 30 here for some time. The dealer said it's a common problem but they did a pressure test anyway and they said it was the oil cooler, which I spent $1,000 to have fixed. What a pain!