: Opera & Cornering lights?

Jeppi94
07-25-13, 10:57 AM
From what I've seen, it seems like the pillar opera lights and the cornering lamps does not work on 90% of all older Cadillac's, including my 89 Brougham. Anyone here who got functional opera or cornering lamps? I guess you just have to change the bulb's, but since the majority not have done that i guess they are hard to get to?

cadillac kevin
07-25-13, 11:17 AM
From what I've seen, it seems like the pillar opera lights and the cornering lamps does not work on 90% of all older Cadillac's, including my 89 Brougham. Anyone here who got functional opera or cornering lamps? I guess you just have to change the bulb's, but since the majority not have done that i guess they are hard to get to?

When I bought my 86, the cornering lights didn't work. Replaced all the bulbs (which were burnt out) and nothing. Turns out the fuse was blown. And it is a PITA to get to as it is on the top of the fuse block.
Also, oddly, if you have a burnt out turn signal or running light, the cornering lights won't work (but then your lights work weird in general).

j2rossit
07-25-13, 11:18 AM
No expert here, but I've always found that the cornering laps on these cars work just fine if put a fresh bulb in them. The opera lamps are a different story. From what I've heard on some Buick forums, there is a metal strip within the lights that goes bad. I've seen some successful threads of people who of taken them apart and made custom metal strips to replace the originals and have gotten them working again.

SafariOne
07-25-13, 11:52 AM
I ended up finding an older style Opera Lite that had the same footprint as the electro-luminescent type but were the bulb style. The e/l fixture was just plastic but the older ones were chrome. The E/L tape can still be had from ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES if you want to go that route. You had better check to see if the inverter in the trunk is any good before going that route because that will be an extra expense. The light have a 110v line and a 12v going to them, you can just cap off the 110v line and use the 12v for the older lamps.

cadillac kevin
07-25-13, 01:43 PM
I ended up finding an older style Opera Lite that had the same footprint as the electro-luminescent type but were the bulb style. The e/l fixture was just plastic but the older ones were chrome. The E/L tape can still be had from ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES if you want to go that route. You had better check to see if the inverter in the trunk is any good before going that route because that will be an extra expense. The light have a 110v line and a 12v going to them, you can just cap off the 110v line and use the 12v for the older lamps.

Did your car have the B pillar or C pillar opera lights?

Faith76
07-25-13, 02:32 PM
They work on my 89 Deville.

The-Dullahan
07-25-13, 04:47 PM
^The DeVille uses a totally different style. The Broughams had EL tape to power their opera lamps, but because of the type used, very few still function, due to ultraviolet exposure.

We've discussed this aeons ago. My Opera lamps work flawlessly and will most likely outlive my. This is because I have determined how to dismantle them and have replaced the EL tape inside of them.

As for the cornering lamps, I will be honest, I have NEVER heard of someone without functional cornering lamps.

1980coupe
07-25-13, 06:24 PM
On my 80 coupe, both opera and cornering lights work..
now it was said (cadillac kevin) that if your blinker or running light is out, it won't light up (cornering light) that is not true. On mine it would. When I first got the coupe 15 years ago, one side of the cornering lights work and the other side didn't. Both blinkers worked and flashed, cornering light would light up to the side that worked with blinker flashing, but when switched to other side, blinker would flash but cornering light didn't work. Bulb was fine. When I received my eletrical troubleshoot manual it says, if one side operates and not the other side, it is your cornering switch, which is part of your turn-hazard switch assembly. Since at the time I had my other 80 Brougham coupe, I removed the cornering switch from that car and spliced it in and presto, the inoperable side worked and has been ever since

brougham
07-26-13, 12:52 AM
^The DeVille uses a totally different style. The Broughams had EL tape to power their opera lamps, but because of the type used, very few still function, due to ultraviolet exposure.

We've discussed this aeons ago. My Opera lamps work flawlessly and will most likely outlive my. This is because I have determined how to dismantle them and have replaced the EL tape inside of them.

As for the cornering lamps, I will be honest, I have NEVER heard of someone without functional cornering lamps.

The opera lights have an hour life but instead of dieing straight out they just start getting dim in different spots until they don't light at all. UV is a double whammy that makes the plastic they are made out of dry out and crack.

----------

On my 80 coupe, both opera and cornering lights work..
now it was said (cadillac kevin) that if your blinker or running light is out, it won't light up (cornering light) that is not true. On mine it would. When I first got the coupe 15 years ago, one side of the cornering lights work and the other side didn't. Both blinkers worked and flashed, cornering light would light up to the side that worked with blinker flashing, but when switched to other side, blinker would flash but cornering light didn't work. Bulb was fine. When I received my eletrical troubleshoot manual it says, if one side operates and not the other side, it is your cornering switch, which is part of your turn-hazard switch assembly. Since at the time I had my other 80 Brougham coupe, I removed the cornering switch from that car and spliced it in and presto, the inoperable side worked and has been ever since

That's the biggest problem with them when they don't work and it used to be pretty common. Other GMs with cornering lights have the same issue.

The-Dullahan
07-28-13, 01:41 AM
UV is a double whammy that makes the plastic they are made out of dry out and crack.

I agree with you on this, I really do, because all science indicates this, but in hindsight of all my time living in Nevada and Florida (the places I live presently and have for a decade now) I have never found cracked plastic on a car that was caused by ultraviolet exposure.

Still, I agree with you. I am just fortunate enough to have never experienced it.

brougham
07-28-13, 03:46 PM
I agree with you on this, I really do, because all science indicates this, but in hindsight of all my time living in Nevada and Florida (the places I live presently and have for a decade now) I have never found cracked plastic on a car that was caused by ultraviolet exposure.

Still, I agree with you. I am just fortunate enough to have never experienced it.

Really? Lots of cars get lenses that go brittle with hairline cracks all over or yellowed, or pittled from the plastic being eaten away from the sun. Cars from areas like those are also prone to rubber seals that crack or get rough from their surface being baked away or shrunk.

The clear lenses of the opera lights stay good but when you take them apart you see that it's the tape inside them that can go yellow and break apart and oddly enough happens more to ones that are already failing rather then ones that still work.

Jeppi94
08-07-13, 03:28 AM
This might just be my case, how di i know which fuse if for the cornering light?

1980coupe
08-07-13, 03:32 AM
I don't think there's a fuse, but I could be wrong. I don't have my manual with me plus, I'm at work..
If it were a fuse, other stuff associated with that fuse will fail. check your switch as I mentioned above and go from there.
I'll follow up in the morning if there is a fuse or not.

Jeppi94
08-07-13, 06:45 AM
Ijust went out and had a look. there is 10amp fuse which are for both the parking and the cornering lights. But since my parking lights do work, i think we can assume that the fuse is intact. When it comes to the opera lights, i'm gonna dissamble them and see if there is any voltage at all coming to them, if it is i will be ordering a new set of EL tape and fit them in.

1980coupe
08-07-13, 11:04 AM
It's your switch then at the turn hazard switch assembly down on the column...

Jeppi94
08-08-13, 02:59 AM
i guess so, anyone that have any exoerience on replacing that ?

j2rossit
08-08-13, 07:42 AM
They are a pain. Need a steering wheel puller. You have to be careful with the telescoping shaft as you remove it since the parts can fall all over the place.

1980coupe
08-08-13, 09:20 AM
What?! You don't need a steering wheel puller. You can gain access to it by removing lower dash cover and you'll see the wires. I'll scan a diagram so you can see. All I did on mine was spliced it in. The other switch is still there on the column, one that failed

j2rossit
08-10-13, 09:43 AM
I thought he was thinking of replacing the turn signal switch. :hmm:

brougham
08-10-13, 10:07 AM
I thought it was part of the turn signal switch inside the column too, all I've ever heard of was digging in thru the column from the wheel side to replace it to fix the problem.

1980coupe
08-10-13, 02:17 PM
You guys are talking about the lever on the column, lol. This is down further on the column itself, down underneath dash. Sorry, I haven't scanned diagram, cannot locate my book... :(

1980coupe
08-10-13, 10:05 PM
itis the image, it is the one identified as C105- that is your cornering switch
http://i41.tinypic.com/xyt5l.jpg

brougham
08-11-13, 07:50 AM
You guys are talking about the lever on the column, lol. This is down further on the column itself, down underneath dash. Sorry, I haven't scanned diagram, cannot locate my book... :(

Not lever, switch. I guess things changed since your year. I looked it up in my manual and it says cornering lamp switch in steering column in turn-hazard switch and the first steps of replacing it is to remove steering wheel, ignition lock and everything else from the top part of the column.

Smobien
08-11-13, 08:26 AM
Question about the B pillar lights.

Can anyone post a pic of a repair of the EL light they have done?

To gain access to the light you have to remove the B pillar interior components correct?

cadillac kevin
08-11-13, 10:07 AM
Question about the B pillar lights.

Can anyone post a pic of a repair of the EL light they have done?

To gain access to the light you have to remove the B pillar interior components correct?

Correct.

j2rossit
08-11-13, 10:12 AM
Not lever, switch. I guess things changed since your year. I looked it up in my manual and it says cornering lamp switch in steering column in turn-hazard switch and the first steps of replacing it is to remove steering wheel, ignition lock and everything else from the top part of the column.

Yeah, in 85 the turn signal switch is deep in the column and needs the removal of the wheel to get at it.

Jeppi94
08-11-13, 03:27 PM
ok, i've just ordered a Workshop Repair manual for my 1989 Brougham, i will wait until that comes before i do anything. But in general, it sounds like a rather tricky job? :bonkers:

Jeppi94
08-17-13, 10:54 AM
I've solved and fixed the problem with my cornering lights...there were no bulbs in them x) They work perfectly now!

1980coupe
08-17-13, 08:33 PM
Lmao

Pitoya
09-05-13, 03:31 PM
I've solved and fixed the problem with my cornering lights...there were no bulbs in them x) They work perfectly now!

Nice one, I had the same no bulb problem on my 1990 borugham.

To you guys trying to remove the opera lights, it's very easy, just remove interior covers and loosen the 4 nuts to the outer chrome covers and opera lights. Be careful not to drop the nuts though, I did drop one into the B-pillar and it was never seen again. I did not do an EL-replacement since I'm unfortunantly very low on cash right now. Instead I replaced the EL-tape with LED strips and it is not nearly as good looking as EL but I had some laying around the garage so why not put them to some use.

Jeppi94
09-05-13, 04:30 PM
Interesting, since both of us live in Sweden and had that same problem...maybe it's something that they do not accept those cornering lamps at the car inspection? I've not had it inspected yet so i do not know, have you?

jamespowers
09-05-13, 05:31 PM

Ok, what did you replace the Opera Lights with and will it work for my 86 Brougham? :p

j2rossit
09-07-13, 07:52 AM
Interesting, since both of us live in Sweden and had that same problem...maybe it's something that they do not accept those cornering lamps at the car inspection? I've not had it inspected yet so i do not know, have you?
That's an interesting thought. I was thinking that someone had removed the bulb in order to use it to find a replacement bulb at the shop, but then never got around to buying them or installing them. But that wouldn't explain why both were missing.

Pitoya
09-07-13, 06:53 PM

They were not functioning last time I did the inspection but I'll have an answer for you soon since I have another brougham that is due for inspection in the coming months. It is imported from Belgium so it's going through a somewhat more complicated inspection process (registreringsbesiktning). From what I have heard they know all about the light regulations and will crack down on stuff like red indicators (they must be orange in Sweden and the EU). I will report back on this thread when I have the answer to the missing bulb conundrum :D Expect a 1-2 months, I need to convert the car from LPG back to regular gas, fit a new cat on it as well as a whole bunch of smaller repairs before inspection.

Jeppi94
09-08-13, 05:24 PM
My Brougham still has it's original all red indicators, But when it's going to the car inspection i put on caravan style orange indicators that sits with tape on the trunk lid which i connect to the indicator cables, then afterwards i just remove them. worked for the previous owner and works for me x) OMG, i saw that Brougham on www.blocket.com when it was for sale earlier this year!! it was cheap due to that LPG system, it did look good though!

----------

[/COLOR]Did you have to remove your 110V AC Inverter in your trunk when converting the opera lights to LED? I'm going to see if mine still works, if it does i'm gonna buy some EL tape and fix them up.

Pitoya
09-11-13, 05:59 PM
I used the same setup for my car during inspections. It was indeed my car you saw, the guy who sold it had one white and one red, both of them are now mine! You can't say no to a 2 for 1 deal on cars.

My 1990 brougham did not have the 110 volt system just 12 volt and ground. I do believe that the 110 volt system is used on older cars and the 12 volt is found on later generations but I don't know what year the switch was made.

Classic L
09-14-13, 10:49 AM
Hey guys... "Opera lamps" are on the inside of the car. "Coach lights" are on the outside. Most of us have never been to an opera or ridden in a coach. But when you want to read the program and not disturb the other attendees, you have a small non-obtrusive light (depending on where you sit in the opera house). That same style light can be found in the rear seat area of many Cadillacs. It has a small switch, round lens housing and Cadillac emblem. When horse and carriages were a more popular mode of transportation, the more high end carriages had lanterns on the outside. As civilization transitioned from horse and buggy to automobiles, people who made luxury carriages (called coaches) ended up designing luxury cars. They employed many of the same features found in and on their luxury coaches, including... you guessed it.. exterior side lamps, which were/are known as coach lights. One of these luxury carriage makers was named..... (gasp) Brougham! If we want to be reputable as a group, we should be the ones correcting these misnomers not makin' em. Sorry but it the Caddy owners I learned from took Caddies a bit more seriously than your average Caddy owner I guess.

Jeppi94
09-14-13, 12:18 PM
What you say sounds legit...but i believe it's wrong. The outside "Opera/Coach lights" are referred to as Opera lights in my 1989 Factory Service Information Manual, the inside illumination is called courtesy lights.

cadillac kevin
09-14-13, 12:57 PM
What you say sounds legit...but i believe it's wrong. The outside "Opera/Coach lights" are referred to as Opera lights in my 1989 Factory Service Information Manual, the inside illumination is called courtesy lights.

I thought courtesy lights were the ones that were mounted on the doors in the armrests :noidea:

brougham
09-14-13, 09:52 PM
Those outside lights have always been called opera lights on cars. Maybe the terminology was different in horse and buggy days but at some point it must have changed because all makes have been calling them opera lights for decades. The inside lights are courtesy lights.

Bro-Ham
09-15-13, 03:01 AM
Hey guys... "Opera lamps" are on the inside of the car. "Coach lights" are on the outside. Most of us have never been to an opera or ridden in a coach. But when you want to read the program and not disturb the other attendees, you have a small non-obtrusive light (depending on where you sit in the opera house). That same style light can be found in the rear seat area of many Cadillacs. It has a small switch, round lens housing and Cadillac emblem. When horse and carriages were a more popular mode of transportation, the more high end carriages had lanterns on the outside. As civilization transitioned from horse and buggy to automobiles, people who made luxury carriages (called coaches) ended up designing luxury cars. They employed many of the same features found in and on their luxury coaches, including... you guessed it.. exterior side lamps, which were/are known as coach lights. One of these luxury carriage makers was named..... (gasp) Brougham! If we want to be reputable as a group, we should be the ones correcting these misnomers not makin' em. Sorry but it the Caddy owners I learned from took Caddies a bit more seriously than your average Caddy owner I guess.

Wow! That is holding true to quite a high standard! Here in this thread I think we are talking glitzy American luxury car overdone fanciness from the 70's and 80's and Cadillac always referred to the exterior ornamental lights as "opera lamps" regardless of the historical correctness. With that said, Lincoln during the same era referred to the same type of lights as "coach lamps" so there. :)

jamespowers
09-15-13, 05:50 PM
Wow! That is holding true to quite a high standard! Here in this thread I think we are talking glitzy American luxury car overdone fanciness from the 70's and 80's and Cadillac always referred to the exterior ornamental lights as "opera lamps" regardless of the historical correctness. With that said, Lincoln during the same era referred to the same type of lights as "coach lamps" so there. :)

Well, Lincoln is always wrong so.....:p

talismandave
09-15-13, 08:23 PM
Lincoln during the same era referred to the same type of lights as "coach lamps" so there. :)Which could very well be the reason Cadillac called them something different. :bulb:

hoggdadogg
07-22-14, 08:40 AM
I thought so too but its not hard. The corners lights are real simple. Jus look
at the you tube videoes. As for the opera lights those are real easy , but u
have to replace them with l.e.d strips because they dnt make the originals no more.
U could find a set of used opera light strips but those will jus go out so y not
get the l.e.d's. Plus it's a cleaner look than that dull yellow.

pompste
07-23-14, 02:26 AM

Luckily my cornering lights and opera lights still work great on my '78 Deville. Only lights I`ve had to replace since I bought it 3 years ago is all 4 headlights---2 were stone cracked and the other 2 were just old.
I thank God everyday that my '78 Deville runs as well as it does and all accessories still work,except the power antennae which luckily went out in mid position so I can still good reception for the radio.
Sometimes I forget this Caddy is 36 years old!
If my cornering light ever burn out, I`ll just replace them.