: Question about pricing

Chrispy
07-25-13, 10:06 AM
Hi folks,

I've had a couple of people express interest in my car and I'm wondering what it is realistically worth in a private sale or trade. (I'm in Canada)

2012 CTS V SportsWagon Silver
Roof rack
Six speed manual
Satin wheels, yellow calipers
9K miles
base seats
absolutely immaculate inside and out
Winter wheels/tires (TSW Nurburgrings)
100% stock

What do you think it'd be worth?

Cheers
Chris

IBMike
07-25-13, 10:18 AM
Can't speak to Canada or wagons specifically, as I've spent 9 months looking at Coupes. Some of the searches I've done have shown wagons, so I've seen them. Short answer is you can get as much as someone is willing to pay. The used market for the V is all over the map, with some insanely high and an occasional few great bargains. Some thing a manual wagon might get you a few more bucks, but again, only to the right person.

A general average on 2012s is in the low $50s, with some selling as low as $46 and some listed in the upper 50s (but not sure if they're selling them at that price). Without Recaros you're looking towards the lower end of the scale... unless you find someone who doesn't like them or doesn't know they're a $3k+ (US$) option. Are the winter wheels on the car or you have a spare set of wheels/tires. If it is a spare set, depending on what they are you should be able to get a couple $2 more (or be better off selling them separately).

Just my opinion based on searches. Last bit of advice, prices were MUCH lower over the winter, so if you're going to sell, I'd do it before winter sets in or you're likely to lose thousands or be stuck with it until spring.

Good luck!

ptrd
07-25-13, 01:19 PM
Yeah I would look at autotrader and see prices although they tend to fluctuate.

Obviously you are trying to get the most but you have to look on the other side too (private buyer). Normally private sales sell better when they're less (unless you have some reason to be higher) than dealerships.

IBMike
07-26-13, 01:53 AM
Yeah I would look at autotrader and see prices although they tend to fluctuate.

Obviously you are trying to get the most but you have to look on the other side too (private buyer). Normally private sales sell better when they're less (unless you have some reason to be higher) than dealerships.

If you're not in a hurry, no doubt most private sale deals are the way to go. Best thing to do is list it a little on the high end, because everyone will expect you to come down some, and see how many bites you get. Keep lowring the price every week or so until you find someone to give you what you're willing to accept.

Chrispy
07-26-13, 08:59 AM
thanks guys, I'm not looking to immediately sell just curious as there's folks sniffing around the car and was wondering what sort of price would be decent. :)

IBMike
07-26-13, 11:04 AM
thanks guys, I'm not looking to immediately sell just curious as there's folks sniffing around the car and was wondering what sort of price would be decent. :)

Pick out a price you'd be happy with and add a few $k! Best case, someone takes it for the asking price; worst case they "negotiate" you down to what you actually wanted for it and you're happy.Absolute "Worst" case... no one does and you still own the V! :cool2: