: Blower lid removal, who done it?

spearfish25
07-25-13, 08:15 AM
I'm considering removing my blower lid to clean the intercooler when I install my catch cans. Can anyone who has done this post some pointers? Do I need to replace gaskets, drain coolant, etc? If its tricky or time consuming ill probably skip it. I'm hoping its just removing 16 bolts and lifting it up.

Club Malibu
07-25-13, 06:46 PM
Never done it but do you have the tech manual with the torque specs and the bolt pattern to put it all back together????

I posted pics of this a long time ago and I can't find it right now.

spearfish25
07-25-13, 08:36 PM
Found a nice link with a step by step guide:

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/showthread.php/2792-Dual-catch-can-thread-as-promised-install-and-very-interesting-finds

THE////V
07-25-13, 10:19 PM
It's no big deal you don't need to drain the coolant . Your going to find oil up in the pockets don't sweat it dust soak it up . I think a little oil is ok just for lubing the rotors . but too much can and will cause detonation .

Random84
07-25-13, 10:21 PM
Found a nice link with a step by step guide:

www.ctsv owners.com/forum/showthread.php/2792-Dual-catch-can-thread-as-promised-install-and-very-interesting-finds

This site has an identity inferiority complex and automatically parses out any URL from the "other" site. Copy and paste without the space for an actual link.

cruiser68
07-25-13, 10:44 PM
Pretty simple. My internal gasket expanded a bit when I removed it. I let it sit in the freezer for about an hour before re installation and it sat in there much easier. Sometimes the gasket wants to pop out of it's groove.

I took the intercooler off to clean it. It was LOADED with crud.

spearfish25
07-26-13, 09:21 PM
So did you disconnect the coolant lines or clean it with them connected? That's the only part that has me less than excited about the cleaning.

Also, what cleaning agent did you guys use? Having trouble finding something that works AND is aluminum safe.

cruiser68
07-26-13, 11:54 PM
So did you disconnect the coolant lines or clean it with them connected? That's the only part that has me less than excited about the cleaning.

Also, what cleaning agent did you guys use? Having trouble finding something that works AND is aluminum safe.

Yes, disconnected the coolant lines and unbolted the intercooler from the lid. I used Simple Green. Sprayed it with a garden hose covered it in simple green and let it sit for 5 minutes repeated a bunch of times until water ran clean through the fins. Simple green will tarnish aluminum if you let it sit too long or let it dry.

flyingv
07-28-13, 02:16 AM
Make sure you locktite the intercooler brick bolts when you reinstall them. I lost my motor when one of the bolts backed out and fell in to #6 cylinder (kaboom!). I ended up safety wiring mine.

spearfish25
07-28-13, 08:10 AM
Make sure you locktite the intercooler brick bolts when you reinstall them. I lost my motor when one of the bolts backed out and fell in to #6 cylinder (kaboom!). I ended up safety wiring mine.

Oh man...