: Please help!!! No acceleration and won't start without putting fuel in the intake.

Freeflyer
07-24-13, 10:44 PM
So I have done alot of maintenance on my 99 Escalade, even rebuilt the engine like a year ago. So I have a pretty good idea of the workings of my truck, except for this. lol

Today at 4 pm, (95 degrees in the shade) I go out to my truck and it would not start. Almost acted like vapor lock. It would turn over very easily but would not fire. Seemed like it was not getting fuel.

I checked the fuel pressure at the intake and its approx 50 psi. I took a capful of fuel and poured it on top of the butterfly valve and tried to start it and it fired right up. It will drive around but has no power, seems to be in some sort of limp mode.

There are no codes. One thing that is weird though is when I was driving it around the A/C recirc door would open and close randomly. Could I possibly have a vacuum leak and its causing the engine to go into limp mode?

And it will not start again unless I put a capful of fuel in the intake.

Any help on figuring this one out would be GREATLY appreciated and possibly rewarded.

Thank you.

the cadillac man
07-25-13, 12:28 AM
sounds like two issues to me as the engine not running good could be the fuel pump or filter
the recirc door could be a bad control unit or sensor

Freeflyer
07-25-13, 09:55 AM
So your saying even if I have 50 psi at the intake all the time then the fuel pump could still be bad? And the filter is new.

the cadillac man
07-25-13, 11:32 AM
So your saying even if I have 50 psi at the intake all the time then the fuel pump could still be bad? And the filter is new.

Given how it is acting it sounds like the pump
Unless something went south during the engine rebulid

BDuncan
07-25-13, 11:36 AM
If you have consistent correct fuel pressure it's not the pump. There is a fuel control solenoid that may be a possibility. Limp Home Mode can be caused by several issues that the ECU detects. If it's in Limp mode there should be a DIC display "Reduced Engine Power". Both Throttle Position Sensor and Pedal Position Sensor can trigger limp home mode. Also a loose or bad seal gas cap can cause it. There should be a code though. Vacuum leak, especially at the intake plenum gaskets is another possbility but it should start and run OK if it's just a minor leak.

Freeflyer
07-25-13, 12:11 PM
Given how it is acting it sounds like the pump
Unless something went south during the engine rebulid

Engine rebuild was over a year ago and 20,000 miles ago.

----------

If you have consistent correct fuel pressure it's not the pump. There is a fuel control solenoid that may be a possibility. Limp Home Mode can be caused by several issues that the ECU detects. If it's in Limp mode there should be a DIC display "Reduced Engine Power". Both Throttle Position Sensor and Pedal Position Sensor can trigger limp home mode. Also a loose or bad seal gas cap can cause it. There should be a code though. Vacuum leak, especially at the intake plenum gaskets is another possbility but it should start and run OK if it's just a minor leak.

Where is the fuel control solenoid on a 99? And 99's don't have a DIC.

the cadillac man
07-25-13, 04:47 PM
Engine rebuild was over a year ago and 20,000 miles ago.

----------

Where is the fuel control solenoid on a 99? And 99's don't have a DIC.

Ok then it may not be because of the rebuild
It should have a message center in the gauge cluster to the left of the tech

Freeflyer
07-26-13, 01:55 PM
99 Escalades don't have a message center nor a DIC. Just a check engine light. All systems seem to be in the green and no waring lights and no codes. This is crazy.

I' just gonna shotgun a throttle position sensor then if I have to, change the fuel pump.

the cadillac man
07-26-13, 04:06 PM
99 Escalades don't have a message center nor a DIC. Just a check engine light. All systems seem to be in the green and no waring lights and no codes. This is crazy.

I' just gonna shotgun a throttle position sensor then if I have to, change the fuel pump.

The tech-2 would pull codes that may not flag the check engine light and could also read the throttle position sensor

bigirb2002
07-27-13, 10:03 PM
sound like tps to me. truck an transmission highly relies on a good tps

Freeflyer
08-26-13, 07:57 PM
Well it wasn't the TPS and it wasn't the fuel pump. And there are no codes. I even changed the coil.

What about that little box next to the coil? Could that be freaking out?