: Front Ball Joint Question

madmanmogan
07-24-13, 08:56 PM
Hello all got a question for people that have done front end work on their car. I recently had a metal popping sound in the front end and took the car to the dealership. After test driving it tech said that I had the wrong lugs nuts on the car and that this had started to make the ball joint loosen up (he said the joint was fine but the bolt was working itself loose. Also one of the front tires was mounted on the rear rim. Car drives better after they fixed it except for the way overpriced alignment that now makes my car pull right. So taking it back tomorrow for them to try again.

Anyway, my question is about the bolt for the ball joint. I thought cotter pins were normally used so that it cant work itself loose so would it be a one time use bolt? A friend of mine that works on cars pointed that out to me. I would like to know since the receipt said ball joint bolt re-tightened. Thanks Mike

1BadCadSTS
07-24-13, 09:19 PM
I have NEVER in my life herd of lug nuts causing ball joint failure unless it threw the wheel and the ensuing catastrophe blew the ball joint.

The nut youre refering to is a castle nut. That said I have also seen ball joint secured with a teflon nut which usually requires heating to burn the teflon and remove the nut.

madmanmogan
07-24-13, 10:41 PM
1BadCadSTS, thanks for the reply. The ball joint didnt fail, the service tech said that since the wrong lugs were too short the ball joint was working itself loose. I took that as the castle nut was starting to come loose. they told me not to drive it anymore or it could become catastrophic. That said I would imagine that since the castle nut matters so much you would want a locking nut and you don't re-tighten those you replace it if it becomes loose.

1BadCadSTS
07-24-13, 10:59 PM
That's just it though. If the castle nut was installed properly and a carter pin installed unless the pin was sheared off or became dislodged there is no way it could of been "loose". Either way I'm glad your issue is solved but the story they gave you doesn't sound kosher in the least.

dkozloski
07-25-13, 02:52 AM
I have NEVER in my life herd of lug nuts causing ball joint failure unless it threw the wheel and the ensuing catastrophe blew the ball joint.

The nut youre refering to is a castle nut. That said I have also seen ball joint secured with a teflon nut which usually requires heating to burn the teflon and remove the nut.You're describing an elastic stop nut. The plastic is generally nylon, they are used by the thousands on aircraft, and they can be removed and reused using ordinary handtools. That being said, there is very little about this story that makes sense. Either the OP is mistaken, didn't hear the story right, or was fed a big load of BS.

MoistCabbage
07-25-13, 02:57 AM
Lug nuts had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the ball joint failing. NOTHING.