: 1996 DeVille won't start

Singingman1996
03-05-05, 06:02 PM
I just had the transmission sensor replaced in my 1996 DeVille. Car ran great. Then yesterday I went to pick up my wife at work, got there turned the car off. She came out in approximately 5 minutes. Tried to start my DeVille, and nothing. I checked the voltage output on the battery, it was 11.5. The only sound it would make was a click sound as I turned the key. The lights and instrument panel worked fine. I have had the car towed to my mechanic and dropped off. He will look at it Monday 3/7/05. Any clues as to what might be wrong. The wrecker driver tried to jump start my car with no success, but the voltage ouput went up to 12.5. Think it might be the starter, alternator or battery, or what???:hmm:

JimD
03-05-05, 06:16 PM
Try starting it with the gear selector in N instead of P; or trying moving the gear selector around with the key in the start position and see if the starter operates.

Singingman1996
03-06-05, 08:29 PM
Thanks, I tried that. I used to have a Ford that you had to hold the gear shift up in the Park position to get it to start. Also tried to start it in Neutral, no go.

1996deVille
03-06-05, 08:42 PM
Singingman,

How old is the battery?

dkozloski
03-06-05, 09:27 PM
See if the lights dim when you turn the key. If not, the problem is somewhere around the starter itself. If the lights do dim then it's the battery, cables, of battery cable clamps.

Singingman1996
03-07-05, 12:10 PM
Well, believe it or not the positive battery cable was loose. Sorry for such a simple problem. I thought I checked the cables and they felt tight to me. Duh!!!

dkozloski
03-07-05, 01:51 PM
I'm glad you fixed it so easily. Even the blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

mcowden
03-07-05, 02:21 PM
dkozloski said, "Even the blind hog finds an acorn once in a while." Another in a long line of entertaining colloquialisms from our friend in Fairbanks... I love it!