: Looking into an 05 or 06 Escalade, concerned about mpg

ReallyWantSUV
07-24-13, 06:51 PM
I've seen a couple 05 escalades (RWD for one, AWD for another), in the 50-60k miles range. They've both sold since, but what keeps me on the fence the most is the mpg. My brother says I'll be filling up weekly and i'll spend $500 a month on gas. Round trip driving to work (which is about half highway) is 20-25 miles per day, depending on the month. Mathematically, I'd expect to drive 15 business days before having to fill up again....but that's not gonna happen.

How frequently per month are you filling up, and what have you done, if anything, to help with gas mileage (KN Filters, new computer chip, etc)?

Thanks!

boge
07-24-13, 07:26 PM
That's (20-25miles) about what I drive daily to work 5 days a week.I will use about 3/4 a tank a week doing that and if I don't fill I will use the rest during the wknd so personally I fill up every week. I have a k&n filter and a cortex programer with the eco tune . I'm here in CT where gas right now is at
$4.05 a gallon 26 gallon tank. But I love my truck couldn't be happier. During highway trips the the programmer will kick in took a trip to cape cod last week just some bicycles and luggage I avg 19.6 mpg on the highway.

ReallyWantSUV
07-24-13, 07:36 PM
That highway mph sounds nice. I'm in Western NY, gas is about the same. darn

YoshiMan
07-24-13, 10:36 PM
MY 03 ESV gets about 13ish in town and 17ish on the freeway. I have gotten it as high as 19 though under certain circumstances.

Why not keep the Focus and have the Escalade as a weekend warrior?

producerman
07-25-13, 03:24 PM
If you are worried about MPG then an Escalade is not for you. I have two and fill up more than once a week. 13-18 is the usual range - I find they get the same as a full sized 4 door 4x4 truck.

Going from a Focus to an Escalade is a big jump in cost on gas, repairs you name it.

As with any vehicle Escalades have their issues but they are fantastic to drive. If you do get one I know you will enjoy it. I am just about to take the family on a 4000 mile vacation and can't wait.

mitch2264
07-25-13, 03:46 PM
I have an 05 ESV Platinum with AWD and the larger wheels (22") and big girl does like her fuel. The best I have ever gotten on the HWY is about 17. Do not even want to know about city MPGs! Of course I was not buying it for economy, but it is a blessing on trips!!

As I have said before, it is like driving a Cuban cigar and lighting it with hundred dollar bills when it comes to fuel :).

Good luck with your decision!

the cadillac man
07-25-13, 03:50 PM
I have an 05 ESV Platinum with AWD and the larger wheels (22") and big girl does like her fuel. The best I have ever gotten on the HWY is about 17. Do not even want to know about city MPGs! Of course I was not buying it for economy, but it is a blessing on trips!!

As I have said before, it is like driving a Cuban cigar and lighting it with hundred dollar bills when it comes to fuel :).

Good luck with your decision!

I couldn't keep from laughing when I seen your post
I do agree on trip comfort these are great trip/vacation vehicles as they have lots of room and very plush seats(great if you have back pain like me)

Retrax
07-25-13, 04:08 PM
OP, you are looking into a three ton luxury SUV. That comes at a price. My window sticker says 12 MPG city and 16 MPG highway, which is pretty accurate.

crazymaci
07-27-13, 12:45 PM
I dont get any where near that, i just went on a 400 mile round trip all freeway( a mountain pass each way) and my trip counter only got up to a whopping 11.1 mpg, however i went thru 1 tank of gas, hmm somethings not right here

the cadillac man
07-27-13, 02:15 PM
I dont get any where near that, i just went on a 400 mile round trip all freeway( a mountain pass each way) and my trip counter only got up to a whopping 11.1 mpg, however i went thru 1 tank of gas, hmm somethings not right here

Looks like someone needs a tune up

ReallyWantSUV
07-29-13, 01:22 AM
Yes, I know a Caddy is big....but not as big as, oh, the Excursion or an H1 (had both before). H1....talk about a gas hog. Converting it to diesel made it almost barely kinda sorta poor on mpg.

Guess I should have left out the chatter and just gone for the "(1) how often do you fill up (2) what have you done to get that?" No one likes throwing money away, and since I just bought my fiance a new car, I didn't want to lose the justification in dropping $15-20k on an escalade then have to spend $400-500 a month to fill it up. I'd just finance a $50k car with good mpg at that point

Jophusp
07-29-13, 09:18 AM
Yes, I know a Caddy is big....but not as big as, oh, the Excursion or an H1 (had both before). H1e the....talk about a gas hog. Converting it to diesel made it almost barely kinda sorta poor on mpg.

Guess I should have left out the chatter and just gone for the "(1) how often do you fill up (2) what have you done to get that?" No one likes throwing money away, and since I just bought my fiance a new car, I didn't want to lose the justification in dropping $15-20k on an escalade then have to spend $400-500 a month to fill it up. I'd just finance a $50k car with good mpg at that point

The question really is, which would you rather do. You are being a bit unfair to the Escalade here, as far as numbers go. Lets say you spend 15k on a nice Escalade, and you spend $400 a month on gas. Lets not rule out that you got what you wanted. Having what you wanted will make it much more likely, that you will forgive it .for its flaws, like the heavy thirst, and that you will hold on to it longer, thus getting your moneys worth out of it. Now, lets say you get a $50k car, that gets double the escalades mileage, well your only saving $200 a month on fuel, and you will end up paying more than three times as much for the car itself which does not sound like a smart money move. Your payment will jump more than the difference in fuel cost. Depending on how I drive here are my numbers. The first is aggressive, the second conservative. City, 8-12mpg, Highway 15-19. I payed my truck off in 8 months, and now my fuel cost are less then $200 each month. I love it!

Jophusp
07-29-13, 10:46 AM
Realistically speaking, you will probably have to fill up around every 350 miles. When I go that far its about 23-24 gallons. At $3.75 a gallon, thats $90 fill up. to do that weekly, you would have to drive 50 miles a day 7 days a week average. average daily fuel cost at 50 miles is $12.86. in a 30 day month thats $385.00. Gas prices fluctuate, and some weeks you will drive more, or less. I am using 13mpg average, which seems on the safe side for split driving.

----------

I do 85% city driving, together I average 13.7 mpg.

the cadillac man
07-29-13, 01:45 PM
The question really is, which would you rather do. You are being a bit unfair to the Escalade here, as far as numbers go. Lets say you spend 15k on a nice Escalade, and you spend $400 a month on gas. Lets not rule out that you got what you wanted. Having what you wanted will make it much more likely, that you will forgive it .for its flaws, like the heavy thirst, and that you will hold on to it longer, thus getting your moneys worth out of it. Now, lets say you get a $50k car, that gets double the escalades mileage, well your only saving $200 a month on fuel, and you will end up paying more than three times as much for the car itself which does not sound like a smart money move. Your payment will jump more than the difference in fuel cost. Depending on how I drive here are my numbers. The first is aggressive, the second conservative. City, 8-12mpg, Highway 15-19. I payed my truck off in 8 months, and now my fuel cost are less then $200 each month. I love it!

I agree
I am one of those people who keep a vehicle as long as possible(almost ready to hit 170k miles) and do I wish I had went for a cheaper vehicle(sometimes) but the pluses of the escalade outweigh the cons

To the op if you pass on getting an escalade you will wish you had got one

Silent_Assasin
08-30-13, 05:52 PM
point of story, dont buy a truck period if you are worried about gas mileage!.... MY 01 Dodge Dakota gets WAY worse gas mileage then my 05 EXT!....but yet I love both my trucks and wouldnt trade them for anything! They both serve their purposes, my dodge is an every day driver sitting on almost 230k miles still running like its got 100k! Even though its pulling under 12 mpg! :nono:

the cadillac man
08-30-13, 06:22 PM
point of story, dont buy a truck period if you are worried about gas mileage!.... MY 01 Dodge Dakota gets WAY worse gas mileage then my 05 EXT!....but yet I love both my trucks and wouldnt trade them for anything! They both serve their purposes, my dodge is an every day driver sitting on almost 230k miles still running like its got 100k! Even though its pulling under 12 mpg! :nono:

I got you beat my 79 Chrysler cordoba gets worse then my truck

grayparatrooper
08-31-13, 02:03 AM
I avg about 12 in the city on 24" rims. I don't care about the mpg I wanted a nice big SUV when you get to looking they are all pretty similar it's awd v8 6.0 if gas is that big a concern should get something smaller.