: Subaru takes number 1 in Quality

Playdrv4me
03-05-05, 02:21 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2026&ncid=2026&e=6&u=/latimests/20050305/ts_latimes/subaruattopinqualitysurvey

Not that consumer reports is a vestige of automotive truth, but it was interesting to see that the domestic stuff was just behind the Japanese, which is not bad. Alternatively, apparently the Europeans fell WAY behind.

Ralph
03-05-05, 03:37 PM
Interesting, and those were my thoughts for a while now.

If I had to buy a Korean car it would be a Hyundai because I read on Car Connection that they are as good as Toyota for the last year or so.

Subaru's are tough little cars. I checked out a Rally edition last year but they are just too expensive! I think it was more than a new GT Mustang.

Playdrv4me
03-05-05, 08:41 PM
Interesting, and those were my thoughts for a while now.

If I had to buy a Korean car it would be a Hyundai because I read on Car Connection that they are as good as Toyota for the last year or so.

Subaru's are tough little cars. I checked out a Rally edition last year but they are just too expensive! I think it was more than a new GT Mustang.

Yep, if I was going to get a pocket rocket type car it would be the WRX STi. Its one of the best all around quick little cars you can get.

My mom has a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. When I went with her to go get it 5 years ago (I was 16 or 17 at the time) it was a big deal to me because I thought it was a really nice car at the time. Well, the 1993 Excel she had before it lost a transmission around 30k miles, and was generally a bag of flaming crap, but also relatively reliable and ecomonic aside from the tranny issue (which was at a time when Hyundai was still on a standard 3/36 warranty program and we were ONE DAY out of warranty, they honored it).

Now keep in mind my mom is a woman who doesnt particularly view a car as much more than a method of transportation with a CD player in it. She beats that little car to pieces, and has already been in at least TWO minor accidents with it. To this DAY the ONLY things that have been an issue were the power window regulator on the driver's side, and a bad spark plug. All of it has been dealt with courteously and with respect, and the car keeps on putting along just fine. Contrary to popular belief, they dont survive BECAUSE of the 10 year warranty, they do just as good as your average Chevy or Toyota product, if not better. That powertrain warranty is just icing on the cake.

I will even go as far as to say that I think BMW actually has COMPETITION from Hyundai with that new Tuscon. Now granted, the X3 is in the BMW world an absolutely HORRID product, but this is just more evident when you see everything you get in even a BASE Hyundai Tuscon including Side Impact air bags, ABS Brakes, TRACTION Control, Dual exhaust, stylish interior, CD Player etc. If you step it all the way up I think you get steering wheel radio controls, upgraded engine (V6 I think), AWD and more. Keep in mind, that with all the options piled on, your still sitting around 20-21k. The base X3 starts at about 29 or so.

Ralph
03-05-05, 08:45 PM
I will even go as far as to say that I think BMW actually has COMPETITION from Hyundai with that new Tuscon. Now granted, the X3 is in the BMW world an absolutely HORRID product, but this is just more evident when you see everything you get in even a BASE Hyundai Tuscon including Side Impact air bags, ABS Brakes, TRACTION Control, Dual exhaust, stylish interior, CD Player etc. If you step it all the way up I think you get steering wheel radio controls, upgraded engine (V6 I think), AWD and more. Keep in mind, that with all the options piled on, your still sitting around 20-21k. The base X3 starts at about 29 or so.

That reminds me, before I forget to tell you, I think that new LR3 (?) the new small LR looks a lot like an Element! Did you notice that? That blocky front end, etc. but Im sure it's better all-around.

Playdrv4me
03-05-05, 08:48 PM
Yep, its got that funky black plastic look on the front and back ends, but for sure a much better (maybe not as reliable) truck all around, and 100x more capable than the Element could ever dream of.

Ralph
03-05-05, 08:52 PM
Congrats on the new truck man. ;)

Playdrv4me
03-05-05, 08:58 PM
Heh thanks,

Its crazy, I love it, but I didnt think it looked all THAT different. But man, up here where I am now people ask me about it and crane their necks out the damn window to look at it. One guy with a Murano (the truck I almost got) asked me what kind of wheels and he thought it was an Escalade EXT. Its almost a little scary, dont want to attract TOO MUCH attention if ya know what I mean :p

Other than that, right now it really hurts cause im about 15 miles away from work where I live and gas is downright REDICULOUS right now, 1.99 right now, I dont doubt by the end of next week Ill be seeing 2.07.

Ralph
03-05-05, 09:02 PM
Heh thanks,

Its crazy, I love it, but I didnt think it looked all THAT different. But man, up here where I am now people ask me about it and crane their necks out the damn window to look at it. One guy with a Murano (the truck I almost got) asked me what kind of wheels and he thought it was an Escalade EXT. Its almost a little scary, dont want to attract TOO MUCH attention if ya know what I mean :p

Other than that, right now it really hurts cause im about 15 miles away from work where I live and gas is downright REDICULOUS right now, 1.99 right now, I dont doubt by the end of next week Ill be seeing 2.07.

See, now you're drivin' a "poor man's" Escalade. :yup: :histeric: Your one step below a Caddy now! :D I'm glad you didn't get the Murano. I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see them.

Man, you gonna get jacked, San andreas style!! :yup:

Do you know your gas mileage??? Computer?

airbalancer
03-05-05, 09:10 PM
once you are driving 5.3l you do not look at mileage, you think of the nice ride

Ralph
03-05-05, 09:11 PM
once you are driving 5.3l you do not look at mileage, you think of the nice ride

What are you getting on the HW, 20mpg? :shhh:

Because of China's booming economy and new demand for cars, the price of gas is going up:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8247&sid=175&n=156

Playdrv4me
03-05-05, 11:23 PM
14.8... on the HIGHWAY.

Actually I dont much mind that its not an Escalade. The Escalade I could have afforded would have probably been the 02, or at most an 03 with more miles. This 04 was way upgraded and had very low mileage, plus 03 and up has alot of very functional changes from 2002. Its actually pretty cool, the driver information center is VERY much like the one in my 2001 STS, all the driver memory and personalization features are accessed through there just line in the STS and the newer Escalades. Rest assured my next one will surely be an 03 or 04 White Diamond EXT however. I went from hating the Avalanche and EXT to completely falling in love with them. I would have settled for a Denali this time around, but next time I will take nothing less than an Escalade. Though if im having conyptions over fuel on the 5.3, I can imagine how much fun the 6.0 will be, my dealer friend has a Denali and drives as far to work as I do, he can barely stand it.

airbalancer
03-06-05, 08:10 AM
If you keep the Ava in 2 wheel you will get better mileage then in the Auto mode
A lot will depend on the truck rear end. With 3.75 (?)will get better mileage then 4.10 rear end. And seats you have are soooooo nice