: 99 STS Adding Subwoofers

djKale
03-05-05, 01:54 PM
I have a 99 STS with a stock sub in the back, is it possible and/or recommended to add subs and power them with the factory amp? I have a couple of tens in a box that I plan on using.

Kale

Adumb
03-05-05, 02:06 PM
how powerful is the stock amp?

MacKiNBacK
03-05-05, 03:53 PM
Isnt it something like 425 watts. But powering all 8 speakers. I think youd need to add your own amp. I currently have 2 12's in mine. Only thing thats bad is I dont have that much control (tweaking) power because theres no sub control in the factory head unit. I do have a bass boost control though. But that doesnt help much.

MacK

cl1986
03-05-05, 06:32 PM
Im trying to do this in my 94 eldo, cant figure out which wires to splice into for sub. I have what i think is the tuner and amp in the trunk with all the wires coming out of it. Do i use speaker wires, or are there preamp wires coming from the head unit??

Lost in Arizona
03-08-05, 05:27 PM
Carfull if you have Factory Bose deck. Even though its is possible to hook up a sub to a Bose factory deck, Bose factory decks push a different amount of ohms than aftermarket stuff. End result is not so good sound, over a sub sounding like it is severly underpowered. Might want to chck before you hook it up.

cl1986
03-08-05, 06:38 PM
I think i got it figured out, my head unit is a remote control, the actual tuner and amp are in the trunk by the antenna. Sub is hooked up and is working fine.

ChinoCharles
03-09-05, 01:32 AM
I was actually looking into getting a 12 for my 96 STS, but it has the Bose system and when I took it to my local car audio installer they wanted $350 to rewire the damn thing. I thought this was BS, so I asked a guy at work that used to install car stereos and he doesn't see why you can't just hook it up, but about this ohms thing... maybe there are subwoofers made specifically to handle the ohms a Bose system puts out?

*Googles for 10 minutes*

OK, some answers. Bose systems use 1 ohm speakers. I am going to assume that includes the subwoofer... in a quick search for a 1 ohm subwoofer the first one that came up was that Kicker Solobaric S18X1... If you want a square 18 that is juiced on 10,000 peak watts be my guest, but don't expect to get out of your car with working ears. There is also a 12" version and a 10" version, but both of those sell for around $500 on Ebay. The Kicker subs said they had 1 ohm impedence, and I don't know if there is a difference between that and 1 ohm + 1 ohm (dual 1 ohm), but I found a couple affordable ones with the latter. One was by Power Acoustik and the other was by Powerbase... both were inbetween $150 and $250 bucks and put out right around 1200 watts.

Of course, I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about, but hopefully this information helps someone come up with an answer to this problem.

ChinoCharles
03-09-05, 01:41 AM
Let me correct a mistake in that post... the Kickers are dual voice coil too... apparently that refers to the impedence itself. The internet is a great resource, Crutchfield just gave me a crash course in the meaning of all of this crap.

SLICKK27
03-09-05, 03:53 AM
i have 3 inch jls w3 in the backof my 99 sts,,, i took it to a stereo shop and pretty much what they did was tap into the sub speakers, they used this lil box so that they could convert the high signal coming out of the wires to to alow signal(RCAS) that they could put into the new AMP...I believe my amp is about 2000 watts its DEI i mean it kicks pretty well,dont even mess with the headunit(bose) regarding the control of the bass i simply lowered it from the headunit...i did have to get another mini powersupply a capacitor so that I would mess with the elctrical ...I mean for the work you can beat the bass...By the way expect to clear your ears when getting off the car,,,use another amp for the subs..you never want to use your stock amp for more than its suppose to do.

ChinoCharles
03-09-05, 09:13 PM
Well, can someone tell me why when I took my car to my boys at Summit Sound they said they would have to rewire the car to do anything correctly? Impedence or something else? Anyone?

djKale
03-09-05, 09:26 PM
You can use a high-level to low-level converter to convert your speaker outs to RCAs, then use an external amplifier to power the subs on almost any vehicle, but that was not my question. I used this same technique on my Mark VIII and it worked great and only cost me $20. Using the stock amplifier's low level outs, I didn't even need a crossover.

The problem with this method is the fact that you need to run the wiring for the amp, which is what I was trying to avoid. If the stock sub is 1 ohm, then a normal 4 ohm or 8 ohm sub would require more power.

Kale

MacKiNBacK
03-09-05, 09:39 PM
So you want to replace your stock sub with something better? My stereo guy said there werent really any good subs out to replace the stock since its open (cant think of the type...open port maybe?). And your setup in your Mark VIII sounds like what they put in my STS.. But maybe they just tapped from the factory sub? But I really dont know what im talking about... =/

MacK

MacK

cl1986
03-09-05, 11:28 PM
Either way u look at it, wether its a bose amp or an amp built into the radio itself, you can still use a LOC to get RCA plugs, just turn down the LOC. Yes the stereo guy that has done this for 20 years will say different, but if it works and saves $2000, just do it. Dual voice coil means its like 2 speakers in one, has nothign to do with ohms, but most are dual 4 ohm, that doesnt make 8 ohm, its still two 4 ohm coils. Ive put home stereo 8 ohm in my car and it works, and car stereo 4ohm in my house, it also works. The amp might have to work harder, but it works.

D148L0
03-10-05, 12:14 AM
Either way u look at it, wether its a bose amp or an amp built into the radio itself, you can still use a LOC to get RCA plugs, just turn down the LOC. Yes the stereo guy that has done this for 20 years will say different, but if it works and saves $2000, just do it. Dual voice coil means its like 2 speakers in one, has nothign to do with ohms, but most are dual 4 ohm, that doesnt make 8 ohm, its still two 4 ohm coils. Ive put home stereo 8 ohm in my car and it works, and car stereo 4ohm in my house, it also works. The amp might have to work harder, but it works.
Where to start? dual voice coils means it is only one speaker, and has everything to do with ohms. A double voice coil speaker is more versatile because it precisely allows for various options. A double 4 ohm voice coil can be wired as 8 or 2 omhs. That is why there are double voice coil subs. Only a couple of exceptions can be connected as separate 4 ohm loads.
Not most of them are dual 4 ohm, more like 49.5% dual 4 ohm and 49.5% dual 2 ohm.
Adding 8 ohm speakers to a 4 ohm rated amp will not harm it, but doing the opposite will decrease the life of the amp.

D148L0
03-10-05, 12:20 AM
I have a 99 STS with a stock sub in the back, is it possible and/or recommended to add subs and power them with the factory amp? I have a couple of tens in a box that I plan on using.

Kale
The factory amp is not that powerful.
Don't bother to try, just use the signal and get an afermarket amp for the box.

D148L0
03-10-05, 12:25 AM
So you want to replace your stock sub with something better? My stereo guy said there werent really any good subs out to replace the stock since its open (cant think of the type...open port maybe?). And your setup in your Mark VIII sounds like what they put in my STS.. But maybe they just tapped from the factory sub? But I really dont know what im talking about... =/

MacK

MacK
I'm sure he meant "free air", meaning it works in an open space rather than a box. By definition a port is open, since it requires the passage of air in order to resonate at a certain range of frecuencies.

MacKiNBacK
03-10-05, 12:45 AM
Thats what I was thinking of! Free air sub

SLICKK27
03-10-05, 04:50 AM
yup, I say just run the wires for the amp...and get a w7 in the back ....there super heavy but if you want heart rattling bass,,you cant go wrong....

cl1986
03-10-05, 07:14 PM
Where to start? dual voice coils means it is only one speaker, and has everything to do with ohms. A double voice coil speaker is more versatile because it precisely allows for various options. A double 4 ohm voice coil can be wired as 8 or 2 omhs. That is why there are double voice coil subs. Only a couple of exceptions can be connected as separate 4 ohm loads.
Not most of them are dual 4 ohm, more like 49.5% dual 4 ohm and 49.5% dual 2 ohm.
Adding 8 ohm speakers to a 4 ohm rated amp will not harm it, but doing the opposite will decrease the life of the amp.

My god, everyone has it out for me. Im trying to help this guy. He doesnt know what a DVC speaker is.

DVC has nothing to do with ohms. It is two seperate coils in one speaker. The guy was getting the impression that a DVC of 8ohm each woudl be 16 ohm. Thats not the case. Like u just said, it can be 2,4,8 ohm sub, the DVC has nothing to do with that. Its just what the speaker is and thats what u go by. I wasnt trying for actual specs, it was an example.

Same with a battery, if you hook it up parallel u still have 12 volts. Series would get u 24v and would fry "normal" 12v equipment.

I try to solve someones problem and save someone some money and all i get is shit on. I know i dont know everything, but my god, im trying to help.

Anyway i already stated the ohm thing in the previous post, i cant help if u read it wrong.

cl1986
03-10-05, 07:27 PM
Ok now for my question as long as were on the "ohm" thing.

I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 It is 4ohm.

My amp rating is 350w @ 2 ohm @ 14.4V
and 175w @ 4 ohm @ 14.4V

So i bought the wrong speaker and will never get the 350w ?? or does the ohms change as the speaker is being driven??

D148L0
03-11-05, 12:33 PM
My god, everyone has it out for me. Im trying to help this guy. He doesnt know what a DVC speaker is.

DVC has nothing to do with ohms. It is two seperate coils in one speaker. The guy was getting the impression that a DVC of 8ohm each woudl be 16 ohm. Thats not the case. Like u just said, it can be 2,4,8 ohm sub, the DVC has nothing to do with that. Its just what the speaker is and thats what u go by. I wasnt trying for actual specs, it was an example.
I am sorry, but you are not correct.
The main purpose of DVC speakers is to allow for different loads so you can use them in more setups than a single voice coil.

Let's use your example: you have a DVC speaker, each voice coil is rated at 8 ohms. the actual load to the amplifier is going to be either 4 ohms if you wire the coils in parallel or 16 ohms, if you do it on series.
Even when you are going to have two 8 ohm coils, the load as a whole is NOT going to be 8 ohms. And by no means it can be 2 ohms, either.
A 2 ohm DVC can be either 1 or 4 ohms.
A 4 ohm DVC can be either 2 or 8 ohms.

Same with a battery, if you hook it up parallel u still have 12 volts. Series would get u 24v and would fry "normal" 12v equipment.

I try to solve someones problem and save someone some money and all i get is shit on. I know i dont know everything, but my god, im trying to help.

Anyway i already stated the ohm thing in the previous post, i cant help if u read it wrong.
I didn't read it wrong. It IS wrong. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, your help and opinions are greatly appreciated. But if the information you are giving is not accurate, it should be corrected.

cl1986
03-11-05, 07:40 PM
I am sorry, but you are not correct.

Im sorry but U are not correct. The speaker has nothing to do with ohms, and how u WIRE it has everyting to do with ohms. So you did read it wrong. The speaker just has a rating and it could really be any ohms value. Ohms is just resistance and didnt suddenly appear on the speaker just because its a DVC.

I was looking to get a DVC sub and was told i could put two seperate amps on the one speaker as long as they were identical amps. So then it would have stayed at 4 ohms for each coil. I didnt know about hooking it up series or parallel, wish someone would have said that, i would have bought a DVC because they are cheaper than my single voice coil and i could have wired it at 2 ohms.

Nicnatros
11-22-05, 03:40 PM
I am wanting to add my amp and subs from my old car into my 99 STS finally, I miss bass! I have the factory bose system with the 12" in the rear deck. I'm planning on tapping off the inputs for the 12" using a high-low level converter. As for the power and ground, that's easy also, especially with the battery mounted under the rear seat. Where can I tap into for the 12 volt switched input in the rear? I've heard that the stock amp is mounted in the trunk, so I'd assume that there is a wire that carries 12 volts when the car is running and then off when the radio turns off. I don't want to run a wire to the front if I don't have to until I add my aftermarket head unit (if I ever get so brave!)

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

fcreddog
12-03-05, 03:17 PM
I have a 99 SLS non-bose. Amp location should be the same in both vehicles. It is behind the rear seat, that is the best way to reach the wires for the amp. You have to remove the rear seat cushion and then remove two bolts that hold the seatback and the seat belts down they are pretty big and are in there pretty tight. Next rhere are some clips at the top of the rear seat. I believe there are 4 if i can remember correctly 2 on each side of the seat behind the head rest if you take a flat head screw driver and poke between the rear deck and the seat you will find them just use the flat head to push down on the clips. Next pull the seat back away from the reaer deck slowly there is the cable that releases the little door that is in the middle of the seat behind the arm rest. You have to unhook that from behind the seat. and you will see the amp on the right hand side. You should be able to use that. I wired mind to the the cd changer harness hope this helps