: 2010 AWD towing issues - Need help

bobbyjack
07-24-13, 03:57 PM
We took a trip to the lake a couple of weeks ago & pulled our trailer for a nice relaxing camp/fishing trip. It was sure nice when we arrived, but I was white knuckled the drive to & from. It seemed as though it "road walked" and almost like the front end was "lighter" than the rear. I had to fight it the whole trip. Virtually no cross wind either. Our trailer is a "pull behind" , weighs around 4400 lbs loaded. I have the weight distribution hitch & had tow/haul turned on. The only suggestion in the owners manual was to take before & after measurements from the ground up to the fender well & they were to be very close. I did & they were precise. Could the Air Ride suspension be the issue? It almost seemed like it was fighting the load. I'm beside myself as this Escalade has a 8100 towing cap & my 1/2 ton Chevy P.U. is 7200 & the Chevy never performed this bad. Oh, and I stopped 1/2 way and attached the anti sway bar also. No difference! Any suggestions? Please advise, thanks

roadog1aj
07-24-13, 05:10 PM
You stated that you have the weight distribution hitch. Does that mean you also have the anti sway bars installed? I have the same type of hitch, and also use the anti sway bars. No swerving or steering issues at all. HUGE difference between pulling my tow behind camper with my '11 EXT, and my '97 Dodge 4x4!! Night and day!! My EXT makes it seem effortless, and almost as if the camper is not connected to the truck. I know it would be a whole different story without the anti sway bars tho.

hcvone
07-24-13, 05:18 PM
I have had many of these trucks and towed things around the US and Canada, you really need aftermarket sway bars like Hotchkis as said above, because it was scary without them, wouldn't want to do that again, sway bars are my second mod after window tint. ;)

bobbyjack
07-25-13, 12:06 PM
As stated in the last part of my post "I attached the sway bar". No difference. So I'm still at a loss of explanation or what else to try.

roadog1aj
07-25-13, 03:18 PM
As stated in the last part of my post "I attached the sway bar". No difference. So I'm still at a loss of explanation or what else to try.

Sorry....I missed that part of your post somehow. Your truck should be rock solid then. Might want to have a look at any sway bars on the truck and make sure there are no broken, cracked, or otherwise defective areas that might allow it to do what you describe? That's all I have in my narrow band of experience. Some one else with more experience may be able to throw you some advice too.

sdgc
07-25-13, 07:28 PM
If the front end felt light as if it were higher, your load was too close to the hitch... thats all i can think of

andre_outlaw
07-28-13, 01:01 AM
you might be talking about a different sway bar... HVCONE is talking about the sway bar on the trucks suspension, you might be talking about the sway bar on your towing system.

wesyder
07-28-13, 12:09 PM
you might be talking about a different sway bar... HVCONE is talking about the sway bar on the trucks suspension, you might be talking about the sway bar on your towing system.

Exactly, there are the load leveling bars that have the chains and then there is a single anti sway bar, it should have a friction adjustment on it

bobbyjack
07-29-13, 03:28 PM
Never thought about sway bars on the Escalade. I'll look into that, but seems strange that an 80K vehicle that is rated to pull twice my trailers weight would require an aftermarket solution, but... Oh well, ha ha. Now, srgc had mentioned the load weight being too close to the front of the trailer. At first I thought....sure, but I've not changed or rearranged anything in the trailer since pulling it with my 1/2 ton Chevy P.U. & as I mentioned, that truck never had the issue that the Escalade has. So, there goes that theory I guess. BTW, I talked to the Cadillac Service Mgr & he suggested that I turn off the "Stabilatrack" or whatever it's called. Thanks so much for the input!!

andre_outlaw
07-29-13, 03:34 PM
it might be an 80k vehicle.... but it's not worth 80k IMO. they could of done more to make it worth the 80k asking price.

wesyder
07-29-13, 03:47 PM
Never thought about sway bars on the Escalade. I'll look into that, but seems strange that an 80K vehicle that is rated to pull twice my trailers weight would require an aftermarket solution, but... Oh well, ha ha. Now, srgc had mentioned the load weight being too close to the front of the trailer. At first I thought....sure, but I've not changed or rearranged anything in the trailer since pulling it with my 1/2 ton Chevy P.U. & as I mentioned, that truck never had the issue that the Escalade has. So, there goes that theory I guess. BTW, I talked to the Cadillac Service Mgr & he suggested that I turn off the "Stabilatrack" or whatever it's called. Thanks so much for the input!!

Imo the stabilitrack shouldn't have anything to do with that, the last thing i wanna do is turn off something that could possibly help avoid an accident

bobbyjack
07-29-13, 05:11 PM
I agree it's not worth the 80K, point is my 25K 1/2 ton is out right a "towing machine" compared to the Escalade. Just too bad I can't haul 5 people in the P.U. with cooled seats when it's 105. har har!

hcvone
07-29-13, 05:47 PM
It just depends on how you want to tow, sure it will tow stock, but it will really tow good if you do a few small things, sure my 2500 HD will tow circles around an Escalade, but kind of sucks on 6 hours drives in the mountains as far as comfort compared to an Escalade. :)

the blur
07-30-13, 12:20 AM
you need to tighten up on the load bars, and tighten down on the anti sway bars. And pump up the tires.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-30-13, 10:15 AM

Hello bobbyjack,

Welcome to the forum! I apologize for any trouble you had while using your trailer. I see you have been interacting with the community and they have offered good insight and advice to your situation. Let me know if you would like to further discuss this or have any other concerns or questions. I can be reached via private message!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

hollingass
07-31-13, 12:54 AM
I just towed my 7000lb camper behind my 08 ESV for 2000 miles. My weight distribution hitch uses bars with chains on the end.

For most of the trip I had 3
Links of the chain through the tightener, just for the heck of it for one leg of the trip I slacked it off to 2 links, the camper swayed quite easily, tightened it back up to 3 and it was straight as an arrow. I do NOT have a anti-sway attachment on my hitch either.

I'm thinking you just need to tighten up, if you have a highway scale close by it can be a handy tool to dial in your set up, only have to do it once.

bobbyjack
07-31-13, 09:10 AM
Thank you, Laura! Private msg. sent yesterday.

BobbyJack

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-31-13, 04:50 PM
Thank you, Laura! Private msg. sent yesterday.

BobbyJack

Hey BobbyJack,

I did receive your PM. I sent you one back so I can further assist you.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

bobbyjack
09-10-13, 09:59 AM
Laura, I tried sending you. a PM withthe VIN of the Escalade per your request, but I get an error - "your PM sent box is full. Cannot send any more until space is created". Hmmm, I've only sent 3 or 4.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-10-13, 02:23 PM
Laura, I tried sending you. a PM withthe VIN of the Escalade per your request, but I get an error - "your PM sent box is full. Cannot send any more until space is created". Hmmm, I've only sent 3 or 4.

Hello bobbyjack,

I am sorry for this inconvenience. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com. When you are a new member, there are restrictions with private messaging, it only allows a certain number until you have more posts on the site.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care