: Codes 13 31 45

Scottie in Alabama
03-05-05, 12:33 PM
My 'check engine' light has been flashing on every now and then. Usually when on the interstate. For a few seconds and then off.

I pulled my codes a little while ago, they were 13, 31 and 45. I looked them up to be:

13 Oxygen Sensor
31 Canister Purge Solenoid
45 Oxygen Sensor (Rich Exhaust Indicated)

Two questions,

Will replacing the O2 fix 13 and 45? (I changed it about 3 mos ago!)
What is the Canister Purge Solenoid and how do I fix that problem?

Thanks guys

Oh, by the way 89 brougham 307

pimpin88
03-06-05, 09:57 PM
are you experience bad gas mileage? i am getting about 10 mpg and i think the canister purge solenoid is the culprit. the code i pulled is code 31. i am also unsure as what to do with this problem besides getting another purge solenoid from my mechanic?

Scottie in Alabama
03-07-05, 01:33 PM
are you experience bad gas mileage? i am getting about 10 mpg and i think the canister purge solenoid is the culprit. the code i pulled is code 31. i am also unsure as what to do with this problem besides getting another purge solenoid from my mechanic?

Pimpin, my gas mileage is not that bad. Never done the actual math, but if I had to guess, I'd say around 15-17 city and 21-23 hwy. That's if I keep it between 70-75 mph. I'm sure it's suffering some from the O2 and whatever the canister purge solenoid is. But overall it does fairly well. I am very interested in getting the problem solved. I was reading the codes in my 'Haynes' manual and they both (13 and 45) say to check a couple of things and/or change the sensor. Which is probably the simplest thing to do, but I would like to know why I am having to change it so soon. Perhaps the system was so clogged from sitting for so long (the car) that it just clogged this one up. But I don't know anything about the canister purge solenoid, not even where it is. It's not in the emissions diagram.

pimpin88
03-09-05, 12:13 PM
if i'm not mistaken i think the canister purge solenoid is on top of the intake manifold near the oil filler neck. has a plug going into it along with two vacuum wires. its like a little black box looking thing. just follow the vacuum lines and you should be able to find it.