: Exhaust manifold bolts

Skier-24
07-24-13, 11:13 AM
Hello,
I just bought my 2005 ESV on May 28, 2013. So far it is a great vehicle and not too many used vehicle surprises. I found a CD stuck in the AM/FM CD player. So that is not working properly, no big deal. I notice a lot of rust under the vehicle, even under the hood around the catch. I noticed an exhaust leak, only when it first starts up and goes away when warmed up.Today I determined there are two manifold bolts broke off on the drivers side rear. There does not look like much room to work. Anybody else had this problem and know of an "easy" way to repair this?

6lbsofSound
07-24-13, 12:40 PM
Fairly common problem across the full size GM line with exhaust manifold bolts breaking.

Only solution is to remove the manifold and see if you can back out the bolts depending on where they sheered off. Get a new exhaust manifold gasket and either replace the bolts with something from ARP or a company called Stage 8 that makes a locking bolt with a e-clip so it does not move. When you replace the bolts coat the threads with Anti-seize and you should be good to go.

There is a ton of links if you google it with this issue and there a lot of fixes on youtube aswell.

Skier-24
07-24-13, 01:20 PM
Apparently Ford also. I sold my Expedition right after buying the ESV. The new owner called night before last claiming his mechanic found two manifold bolts broke on it. He wanted to gripe to the guy that inspected it. To my knowlege it never leaked and the bolts were not broke when I sold it. But anyway, no warranties with inspections or used cars.

ChadKam
07-24-13, 04:05 PM
Just found two bolts have sheared off on mine also. One on each manifold. The exhaust shop wants a minimum of $225 to fix them. That's at $90/hr and tax. If they can't tap the bolts out easily, it will cost more. I am concerned that if I try to do it myself, I may shear off more bolts.

Skier-24
07-24-13, 04:27 PM
I probably won't mess with mine until the leak is more noticeable or fails inspection. If I do, I will use plenty of Aero-kroil and WD-40.

Skier-24
07-31-13, 01:19 PM
I was looking at my broken exhaust manifold bolts thinking I could bolt on a clamp to stop the exhaust leak. Then, I found a company that sells a part to correct this issue. It looks like it will work. No need to pull the heads or remove the broken stud, just bolt these brackets on. Check out their website:

http://kralautoparts.com/index.html