: Possible Emergency Unlocking Trick

Rachane
03-05-05, 01:12 AM
(For non-OnStar-equipped Cadillacs)

I have just come across the following, have not tried it, but am just intrigued enough to pass it along:

"If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on your cell phone and ask that person to get hold of the spare keys. Next hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the "unlock" button on the key set, while holding it near the phone. Your door may unlock."

ItsAllHype
03-05-05, 01:39 AM
Urban legend. Will not work. Common sense will tell you that a phone will not transmit the radio signal from the keyfob. The phone mouth peice will only convert audio into an digital representation of your voice which is later converted back into audio at the other phone's earpiece. There was a write up on this topic in The Chicago Tribune a few weeks ago.

Rachane
03-05-05, 12:52 PM
Thanks. Yes, it made no sense if a radio transmission were involved. I wondered whether some units might use infra/ultrasonics, however.

Here's the exposť on good old Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Adumb
03-05-05, 12:58 PM
even if it doesnt work, it sounds damn neat. if i ever made a movie thatd be in it.

ItsAllHype
03-05-05, 10:14 PM
If it ain't audible, it ain't goin anywhere. Gramatically speakin'.