: possibly going back to cts-v and selling my e55

87GN
07-24-13, 09:14 AM
Hello all, I am a prior cts-v owner and I am strongly considering getting another one but a 2009 or newer of course. I had a silver 2004 V back in late 2004 till 2006 while I was staying in Ocala, FL with my Dad bc he was sick and hung with a few guys from this forum at the time so some of you may remember me (Brian). Anyway, that car had headers, cold air, a tune and a few little tricks (tuned from a guy in tampa who was one of the best at that time and might still be...cant remember his name but maybe Jeremy?) The car went 12.80's with street tires which wasn't too bad at the time for minimal work done.

I now have an E55 which I love but with only a tune I just seem to have to go faster! I lose too many races (I hang with a bunch of guys similar to the Ocala crew) bc all the guys have work done. I have hesitated to do the work bc finding the right guy to do the work is difficult here right now and most importantly...the cost is ridiculous in modding these e55's. Aside from the huge loss in value after modding I was considering upgrading shortly anyway so here I am to ask a few questions.

First, how hard is it to find a white V sedan 2009-2012? I only want a 4 door and almost every car I see is black so I would rather not black. If there is a black one with mods done already to my liking for the right price...I will live with black.

Secondly, I kind of know the modding situation of these cars from the Mercedes forum as some of the guys have had or have both AMG and V's but I would like to now first hand from you guys. I want to be very safe and not chance blowing anything up or breaking. What does it cost to get these cars to go in the low, low 11 second range even high 10's? I am guessing that it is headers, tune and pulley and off you go! How necessary are the headers?

Next, who does this work in New York, Long Island and who is the tuner on LI or do we send the computers out?

Next, anyone know of any V's for sale locally to me Long Island new York preferably one that already has the work done but I am not expecting that. I am sure I will think of more but thanks in advance for now.

One more thing...I would only want an automatic...(I have many old muscle cars and they are mostly sticks so I am tired of shifting) so...are there any issues with the automatic cars and what are the differences between 2009 and lets say 2011-2012 cars...anything major? Thanks again.

87GN
07-24-13, 11:11 AM
84 views and not one reply yet! WOW...on the benz forum I would have 10 replies from people who want to help by now!

baabootoo
07-24-13, 11:38 AM
There's a thread with modifications and times/power. It will take nothing to get into the 11s, as many stockers will go low 12's on street tires; like mine. It will be easy to find what you want out there too.

bbradyc5
07-25-13, 12:05 AM
Night and day on how cheap and simple modding the V is versus a Merc. Few thousand bucks in parts and tune you can be at upper 500's near 600 rwhp. Good set of DR's to hook and good air at the track you are in low 11's and some are in the 10's. white V's fairly easy to find. These drive trains are solid and can run these power levels quite reliably (all in the tune). Even when something does go wrong, V's are quite inexpensive to repair relative to your E55.

1997BlackETC
07-25-13, 01:17 AM
Night and day on how cheap and simple modding the V is versus a Merc. Few thousand bucks in parts and tune you can be at upper 500's near 600 rwhp. Good set of DR's to hook and good air at the track you are in low 11's and some are in the 10's. white V's fairly easy to find. These drive trains are solid and can run these power levels quite reliably (all in the tune). Even when something does go wrong, V's are quite inexpensive to repair relative to your E55. I dunno if I'd say that, the twin turbo mercs, 2012 on up with the 5.5 can put out over 700 hp with just a tune, the older ones were a different story. To the O/P why don't you save your money and get a new 2014 AWD E63 AMG, they are going to be amazing, same motor but with AWD they do 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds and I've yet to see specs on the quarter mile stock but I'd guess a half second faster, my car will do a 12, you'd be looking at 11.5. You do a tune on one of those and it would easily be into the mid 10's on street tires. I'm tempted to trade my car in for one of those even though I just got it, but I'd probably loose too much on the trade in.

Xaqtly
07-25-13, 03:03 PM
save your money

get a new 2014 AWD E63 AMG

http://codropspz.tympanus.netdna-cdn.com/codrops/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/wat.jpg

Gary Wells
07-25-13, 06:14 PM
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 01-02-2012):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better mileage than the auto but probably not significant
About 32 more RWHP than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 more RWTQ than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios: (1:) 1st:
4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
About 32 less RWHP than an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 less RWTQ that an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs heavier that the manual
Remote start feature
Normal mode initially starts in 1st gear, then starts in 2nd gear thereafter
Manual mode starts in 1st gear always

About 1 in every 6 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

Brian:
I love my '09 CTS-V.
A lot of people rag on the autos (A6) but I wouldn't have mine any other way.

JFJr
07-25-13, 06:42 PM
These cars were designed for high speed road courses and not for drag racing; they are certainly quick but they weigh 4200#, so what's the point? A funny car based on the "V"? Now that's humorous. Ha ha!

Jud

V-Horse
07-25-13, 08:53 PM
To 1997BlackETC my wife had a late model MBenz nice boring soft suspension if you like that kind of ride everyone kept saying "watch out you're going to have a lot of electrical problems" and they were absolutely correct, glad we got rid of it. Have fun with your Mercy!

87GN
07-25-13, 09:36 PM
It took you guys a long time to respond but I must say...thanks for all the info. I just bought Jesse's white 2011 auto from Indiana (I posted a thread about it) and it has every option and has some work done too. If anyone knows anything about this particular then please chime in or send me a PM or email to allmyclassics@live.com Hope it is a great car...the guy selling it seems very cool and fair. I think it is a good one. He says that he has $6k in trans work...can anyone possibly elaborate on that? Is it needed, what could have been done bc the now seller has no clue! Thanks for all your responses and now that I bought one (deposit sent this morning) I will become a supporting member.

To the guy who said that finding a white one would be easy! Not a 4 door!

The guy about the benz turbo cars: I want a 2012 bi-turbo but they are soooooo expensive still $70k for used and yes a tune they are making 680hp 560 or so to the wheels. Modding my benz is expensive and then worry about reliability (although they are quite reliable) but IF something breaks...LOOK OUT!

2014 all wheel drive...forget it...way too much money...and I don't save money!!!! LMAO....Seriously though..I don't have any loans and don't plan on any... all cash baby. Having the benz still and $45k is about my limit right now along with all my old cars! Gonna have to sell the grand national though...love it but it is worth some dough and my friend keeps hounding me to sell it so it will be going bye bye!

One more thing: I love the benz...the torque is really cool but on warm ass days...wow...what a difference. My car has cold air...car is a little lighter than most and a tune. It runs pretty decent but not like the V after $2k (it already has headers, exhaust, cold air, trans upgrade and other stuff that the guy has no idea about) Yes I am rolling the dice! lol

RapidRob
07-25-13, 11:03 PM
^^^ I think the seller used to be a vendor here, and for awhile he was trying to sell A6 tranny upgrades, as well as a lot of other performance U/G's. He may have used this V2 as one of his test mules ... !? Anyway, could be you got a deal if the car works well and is reliable. You should probably have the car dyno tested to see what you actually have, power-wise ...

Rob

87GN
07-25-13, 11:22 PM
^^^ I think the seller used to be a vendor here, and for awhile he was trying to sell A6 tranny upgrades, as well as a lot of other performance U/G's. He may have used this V2 as one of his test mules ... !? Anyway, could be you got a deal if the car works well and is reliable. You should probably have the car dyno tested to see what you actually have, power-wise ...

Rob

I did question whether it could have been a mule and would love to know if anyone knows about this tranny! Supposedly it is a really done tranny but what does that mean? I thought the tranny's were fine in these cars!

1997BlackETC
07-26-13, 12:35 AM
To 1997BlackETC my wife had a late model MBenz nice boring soft suspension if you like that kind of ride everyone kept saying "watch out you're going to have a lot of electrical problems" and they were absolutely correct, glad we got rid of it. Have fun with your Mercy! Well obviously you've never driven a 2012 on up E63AMG, the car is very stiff actually and about as far from cushy as you can get, put it in sport or sport plus mode and it's like a rock. People who have these models don't seem to have electrical problems either. All the forums on the late model E series are very quiet as far as problems go, they just don't have many issues. The steering seems very solid with great road feel. No doubt, I'm sure when pushed really hard the CTS-V does handle better, but not by much. I still have not found a road yet to really push this AMG I got a month ago, I did push the CTS-V I had hard a few times and it did infact handle like it was on rails but I did not care for the steering feel in that car nor the seating position, I just could not get comfortable, maybe smaller people can. I'm hoping when I put the Michelin Super Sport tires on my AMG that it will handle and ride even better. Right now it has the Conti's on it and no doubt they will probably be ready to be replaced (at least the rears) in another 5K miles or so, they currently have around 5K miles on them. These cars like to chew up tires with all the torque they produce. The power transfer is really eye opening, the V felt much more subtle and sedate.

----------

http://codropspz.tympanus.netdna-cdn.com/codrops/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/wat.jpg My car was only 20 grand more than my V and worth every penny of it. Cut down on some other expenses and get a AMG, it's worth it, you will thank me.

V-Horse
07-26-13, 01:48 AM
First of all there's not too many car people so the fact you feel so passionate about your car is totally awesome I feel the same about my V. I could be wrong but I think the reason this Cadillac forum was set up was to sell Cadillac cars and not MB? That being said I'm very happy with my V sedan with a 6M, I was specifically looking for a manual (MB) doesn't even offer a manual and I love the way the V rides. I also like the fact I don't see too many V's, so it's very/way more exclusive and has that 'cool' factor without being snobbish. Lastly the $20 grand (in my case it would be like $40 grand) can buy me a nice used low milage Viper so thanks but no thanks. Go Cadillac!

87GN
07-26-13, 07:10 AM
I have to agree with the e63 wagon guy, I rarely hear of electrical problems with the 2003 and newer AMG's (these are the only ones I know about) and actually don't think I have ever heard of any. As far as ride goes...the Mercedes rides better hence the handling edge going to caddy. I had a 2004 ctsv and it was an incredible handling 4 door car. At any rate...I am worried about this particular car being a mule and would love to have some more feedback on that issue if anyone knows.

The benz is much more comfortable then the V and I am a big guy but I will sacrifice myself! lol Still love the V's as I am a big fan.

rbzstsv
07-26-13, 10:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvXFsAf1Es&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The easy power these cars make are undeniable.

MoistCabbage
07-26-13, 10:26 AM
I could be wrong but I think the reason this Cadillac forum was set up was to sell Cadillac cars and not MB?This forum wasn't started to sell anything.

Trapspeed
07-26-13, 03:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvXFsAf1Es&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The easy power these cars make are undeniable.

Monster. Damn.

Xaqtly
07-26-13, 03:58 PM
My car was only 20 grand more than my V and worth every penny of it.

1. Your car was not a brand new 2014 AWD E63
2. For a brand new 2014 E63 you are looking at a MINIMUM of $30k more - probably more than that - and that's before you add a single option.
3. You said your E63 was modified. Stock E63s are not that fast, and not any faster than CTS-Vs.
4. The CTS-V does handle better and the magnetic suspension is better.
4. It's vastly cheaper to modify a CTS-V than an E63.

Leaving those details out is not helping anybody. The main reason to get an E63 over a CTS-V right now is the AWD, otherwise the E63 isn't really worth the $40k+ more you will end up paying for it. Stick to the facts, kids.

1997BlackETC
07-26-13, 09:03 PM
Well, to each their own, after owning both cars, I'd say the E63 is a deal. The CTS-V just gave me no thrill at all and was uncomfortable and did not do what I wanted it to do when I wanted it to do it, the Merc does, I don't have the time to live at a Cadillac dealer inspite of the free donuts and coffee. On top of that the 2012 on up biturbo e63 is much faster than a stock V. Stock V wagon you're looking at around 12.6 in the quarter in the real world, the e63 will do that same quarter mile in around a 12.2, 4/10's is a big difference. I'm talking a V with a automatic. Of course you might get some faster because of a low D/A or just a faster car, but the Merc is definitely faster, just check out youtube videos. Money is not everything, if you want to save money buy a Ford Pinto. There's a lot of other factors too like materials used, build quality, feel of the car in all these areas the Merc trumps the V. As I've said along though the one area the V does shine and that's ride quality on bumpy roads, my Merc is mostly in Fla though so that's not a real factor because the roads are smooth there.

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3S7c4dr6isU

87GN
07-27-13, 12:09 AM
E63 and cts v is apples and oranges if you ask me! I will get a 2012 bi-turbo car eventually and maybe I will just get one now if the V becomes tough to get. I really only want white and it is hard to find. It's not the money, it's the loss you take on a benz. $70k now is cheap (auction prices) for a low mile 2012 e63 and in 2015 they will be $50k! A $45k V now is still $38k on a bad day in 2015 and considering that I will not put too many miles on it, it could be even less of a hit...maybe worth $40k.

Do these cars really rattle that badly with pano roofs or moonroofs? I hear of people getting non moonroof cars.

1997BlackETC
07-27-13, 12:20 AM
I'll agree with you about the depreciation factor. The guy who had my Amg before me for one year had to have taken at least a 30K haircut, with the V it was more like a 10K loss. Lots to consider with cars, but to me worth it. I may just hang onto this benz real long term (I've said before with cars, lol) and then it won't make that much of a difference. I just hope I can resist that new AWD e63 amg. I think I'll be able to though as I'm not crazy about the looks of the car. Anyhow, you make a very valid point about the depreciation, I've thought of that. It's just that with the AMG I feel like the car is part of me when I'm driving it, I did not really get that feeling with the V, I also feel like the AMG has much more explosive power, I'm sure that could have been corrected in the V with a tune and a pulley though, looking back on it, had I hung onto the V those two things would have been a "must" but then with all the crazy issues I was having had they voided the warrantee I would have gone broke fixing the car.

PNBLWZD
07-27-13, 01:03 AM
Not quite a E63, but I drove and considered buying a Merc 2012 bi-turbo CLS550 when car shopping, which has the same motor as the 2011 Merc CLS63 AMG, and I found the car's power to be too much in the upper RPM range for street driving. Ie, it seemed to have 2 modes: fast and slow. I felt like I had to really mash down on the throttle to feel the car pull hard, which is something I read in reviews also (turbo lag?), but the power delivery in a V is nice and smooth across the powerband right off idle. I did like the overall feel of the Merc though, it was super nice to drive and of course fit and finish were great. The seats felt perfect, instead of the too hard Recaros or too soft "Cheap seats" in a V. Also the price of the used CLS w/10k miles was just a tad higher than a new 2012 V on closeout - so someone took a $20k hit on that one too. Cost of maintenance and upkeep down the road will be higher on the Merc IMO, and an insurance quote was 50% more on the Merc than a V. Also I'm 99% sure it's cheaper to mod a V for more power. Lots of pros and cons for both, and both are great cars, it just comes down to personal taste and money. All that being said, I ended up buying a low miles used V last week for $23k less than either of those cars and am happy with the choice. It looks new all around and has no squeaks or creaks coming from the roof or interior.

1997BlackETC
07-27-13, 01:48 AM
Sounds like a good deal you got and if it's the right car for you that's all that counts. You are so right about the insurance being around 50 percent higher. My CTS-V was 1100 bucks a year compared to 1500 bucks now with the Amg. No doubt the Amg is more expensive in all expenses, but to me it's well worth it as this car suites my own personal taste more than the V. If I were to build a car it would be just like my AMG only it would have the Magnetic shocks like the V, then I'd have ther perfect car. Those darn air bags on the rear are so firm and harsh riding over bumps. Personally though I would have got this car that is currently for sale, 700 brake HP at the wheels and they just dropped the price 10 grand. http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/20meamge63v8.html
Not quite a E63, but I drove and considered buying a Merc 2012 bi-turbo CLS550 when car shopping, which has the same motor as the 2011 Merc CLS63 AMG, and I found the car's power to be too much in the upper RPM range for street driving. Ie, it seemed to have 2 modes: fast and slow. I felt like I had to really mash down on the throttle to feel the car pull hard, which is something I read in reviews also (turbo lag?), but the power delivery in a V is nice and smooth across the powerband right off idle. I did like the overall feel of the Merc though, it was super nice to drive and of course fit and finish were great. The seats felt perfect, instead of the too hard Recaros or too soft "Cheap seats" in a V. Also the price of the used CLS w/10k miles was just a tad higher than a new 2012 V on closeout - so someone took a $20k hit on that one too. Cost of maintenance and upkeep down the road will be higher on the Merc IMO, and an insurance quote was 50% more on the Merc than a V. Also I'm 99% sure it's cheaper to mod a V for more power. Lots of pros and cons for both, and both are great cars, it just comes down to personal taste and money. All that being said, I ended up buying a low miles used V last week for $23k less than either of those cars and am happy with the choice. It looks new all around and has no squeaks or creaks coming from the roof or interior.

RapidRob
07-27-13, 06:31 PM
Do these cars really rattle that badly with pano roofs or moonroofs? I hear of people getting non moonroof cars.

My copy doesn't. But others have apparently experienced the problem. Some buyers skip the ultra-view option to save weight, (or money).

Rob

1997BlackETC
07-27-13, 08:04 PM
Not quite a E63, but I drove and considered buying a Merc 2012 bi-turbo CLS550 when car shopping, which has the same motor as the 2011 Merc CLS63 AMG, and I found the car's power to be too much in the upper RPM range for street driving. Ie, it seemed to have 2 modes: fast and slow. I felt like I had to really mash down on the throttle to feel the car pull hard, which is something I read in reviews also (turbo lag?), but the power delivery in a V is nice and smooth across the powerband right off idle. I did like the overall feel of the Merc though, it was super nice to drive and of course fit and finish were great. The seats felt perfect, instead of the too hard Recaros or too soft "Cheap seats" in a V. Also the price of the used CLS w/10k miles was just a tad higher than a new 2012 V on closeout - so someone took a $20k hit on that one too. Cost of maintenance and upkeep down the road will be higher on the Merc IMO, and an insurance quote was 50% more on the Merc than a V. Also I'm 99% sure it's cheaper to mod a V for more power. Lots of pros and cons for both, and both are great cars, it just comes down to personal taste and money. All that being said, I ended up buying a low miles used V last week for $23k less than either of those cars and am happy with the choice. It looks new all around and has no squeaks or creaks coming from the roof or interior. I did want to add the AMG and the CLS 550 are a lot different, I drove one of those, no road feel, felt like the steering was over boosted and the 6.2 motor (no turbos) because multi valve motors ie Northstar vs the 5.5 is very peaky like you said. On my 5.5 biturbo, the turbos spool up very fast as they are very small and light but then the top end suffers a little bit. A lot of the tuners will suggest larger turbos for this reason, but that is big bucks, with a tune alone (Renntech) you can get 669 hp at the crank which is more like around 580 at the wheels or well over 100 hp which the car has stock with the P30 performance package. I'd suggest to anybody looking for a real beast to check out the Hennessey one I posted in the link above, maybe it could be had for around 80 to 85K at this point.

Gary Wells
07-27-13, 09:10 PM
E63 and cts v is apples and oranges if you ask me! I will get a 2012 bi-turbo car eventually and maybe I will just get one now if the V becomes tough to get. I really only want white and it is hard to find. It's not the money, it's the loss you take on a benz. $70k now is cheap (auction prices) for a low mile 2012 e63 and in 2015 they will be $50k! A $45k V now is still $38k on a bad day in 2015 and considering that I will not put too many miles on it, it could be even less of a hit...maybe worth $40k.

Brian:
I can't say as I have never owned a V with the pano roof. I don't believe that there were very many complaints before they went to the pano.
I have had 5 turbo Buicks and the 1st thing that I learned about them was to not buy a t-top, so all of my Buicks have been solid roof cars.
My CTS-V is a solid roof car, and that is the main reason that I bought it. I was not looking forward to having to order 1 because I wanted a solid roof car.
Most PRK dealers would not stock the solid roof cars. I found mine on the showroom floor in Fullerton, thunder grey, no roof treatment & no wheel treatment.
I fell in heat with mine and still am. To each his own. I wanted a white 1 also, but all white 1's that I looked at in the PRK had paint issues on either of the
passenger side doors, front door or both. In the sunlight you can almost see right through the paint and see the undercoating.
I have only seen this issue on '09 CTS-V's & a few of the big Cadillac land yachts. HTH

mpouls1
07-27-13, 09:52 PM
Stock V wagon you're looking at around 12.6 in the quarter in the real world, the e63 will do that same quarter mile in around a 12.2, 4/10's is a big difference. I'm talking a V with a automatic. Of course you might get some faster because of a low D/A or just a faster car, but the Merc is definitely faster, just check out youtube videos.

Where did these numbers come from? A couple of youtube videos? This forum and another site have actual documented 1/4 mile times. Check out the stock ET's

My only observation is the data, not the car.

at OP my brother has a e55 and I love it. The only reason he has it is because he didn't want us both having V's

1997BlackETC
07-28-13, 01:25 AM
That amazes me a 11.99 stock, maybe the older V's were faster than the newer ones. I hang out a lot at Bradenton in Fla and see a lot of V's and mid to high 12's are the norm for the stock ones, maybe it's a slow track I dunno, but just telling like I've seen it. I think the wagons tend to be a little slower too. I'll let ya all know what my E63 does as I'll be back at Bradenton in mid September with my Benz. From all I've read, low 12's is the norm on these cars with the P30 power package.

CavemanB52
07-28-13, 01:35 AM
Don't listen to 1997BlackETC. He is schizophrenic when comes to talking about his cars. Buys gas hogs and complains about gas mileage. Then goes out and buys a MB which costs tens of thousands more than a V and says its fast and worth every penny. WHAT! He use to complain about a few pennys worth of gas! I really don't understand this most recent statement of saving money and then buying a car that costs twice as much for horseshit materials that don't cost twice as much to produce and install.

Any way.... I put $5000 into my V and it does low 11s in a quarter@ sea level. Yesterday morning I rolled up on a 2013 AMG and made that very expensive car look like it was standing still. MB are slow and expensive and even more expensive to modify.

----------

1997BlackETC. I know you have more money than me but where do you live I'm going to send you a calculator.

RaVeNous
07-28-13, 07:10 AM
It's a win for Cadillac to still be able to compete with a $100,000 2012 super sedan ain't it. 2008 technology and platform and only now the Bovarians caught up, and relatively marginally for $30-$40k more...The V2...

WINNING

You know what. My close friend purchased a CLS 550 2012 4Matic yesterday. It's beautiful inside and out. personally I think it makes an E class look like a turd by comparison. It's tight and fast, and really not that much slower than the V for typical day to day driving. It does sort of stop pulling once you get going, while the V continues to press you back into to seat. It hits hard, tight and fast from a dig and from a roll because of great low torque. But the V has 160 hp on it and it shows once you get going. It's got new tech, comfy seats - softer than the recaro, but not as sporty, great stereo, and rides VERY much like the V in some ways. I spent a lot to time in it, driving 500 mikes on the way back from picking it up with him.

The interior is a slight step up. Benz does great little things that just take it up a notch with little bits of metal trim. The leather feels a bit softer and more $$$. It should! However, the plastic parts still squeak and move when u push on them. The plastic around the NAV is shaky just like ours (my body was like WTF are you pressing so hard on all the parts!) and pushes in with your fingers. In general it's tighter. I wouldn't say it looks heads above, it's a different style. The door pulls twist and sqeek if you force then to. Some parts are tighter, some not so much. The dash and gauge cluster are beautiful and scream higher class than the V. But they don't make me salivate like a full LED cluster. I appreciate the simple minimalist approach in the V. The 4.7 Bi-turbo sounds damn good.

Benz appeal to a totally different kind of buyer. My buddy concedes that the V is faster and more sport oriented, by design, and my guess is the AMG bridges this gap, but also in turn, way over blows the price point. The new AMG are amazing cars, people shopping for $100,000 sedans are not going to give a Caddy even a glance, other than be a bit irritated when they can't stomp us if they decide to pull a D bag move when a lane ends!! Personally I think the late model Jags blow Benz away on the interior. So that's what I'd be looking for if I was shopping in the $100,000 range, although the 2014 AMG AWD and latest S8 bring fast to a whole other level. The interiors on the Benz keep getting better too. I'd love to drive one.

I still think its funny when people lurk on forums of their old cars to talk up their new ride. Too much D-baggery over at the other forums rofl!?

1997BlackETC
07-28-13, 05:47 PM
Other forums which I registered on for the Benz are like ghost towns, the cars have no major issues so everybody is out playing golf :) I can't wait to get this car to the track, this should be a great drag car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhnuDdy3Vf8

CavemanB52
07-28-13, 06:13 PM
I just raced a SLS AMG GT coupe on Friday. Smoked a $200, 000+ MB and I've only put $5500 into my car including labor. MB may be nice but the V is cheaper and faster. I'd rather keep my money. Love passing those expensive German cars. :)

1997BlackETC
07-28-13, 07:57 PM
I just raced a SLS AMG GT coupe on Friday. Smoked a $200, 000+ MB and I've only put $5500 into my car including labor. MB may be nice but the V is cheaper and faster. I'd rather keep my money. Love passing those expensive German cars. :)Maybe the guy was not racing and did not notice you?

CavemanB52
07-29-13, 12:13 AM
Yea he didnt notice the car next to him doing triple digits passing him. Oh he noticed. We raced twice. I gave him a second chance with the same result. I even let him hit the gas first on the second go. And we talked inbetween about where we were from. Cause we were on a New Mexico highway but both from Michigan. Nice try 1997BlackETC. But facts are facts. MB are nice and they are fast but the V is faster and for less money. That way I don't have to worry about gas prices. Not that i ever did. :)

Kerr
07-29-13, 04:11 PM
I havent had a V, or E55, but i have owned both caddies and mercs before. Both are grate car. its stora comes down to what you really want.

For me, i would never have another MB product unless it was free, the last three i had where total pos and MB pretty much said FO. While i loved the ones i had ( CLK55, SL500, S550, and G500) i will never look at a benz again. Same with BMW, However they did buy back the 750 and sale me the 760 at cost..

I think it comes down to what the person wants.
A typical MB owner will not " down grade the status symble" to drive a GM product.
Other want to fly under the radar and dont want the status symble,
Sorta like lambos' and ferrarie's You love one hate the other both awesome cars.

The only draw back to a used AMG car is the cost of ownership when problem happen. All my friends have mb stuff and love them, but they also about cry when there is a problem. amanda has a SLS, and ML63 ( the 63 is a bad mofo) eddie has G63, Bad asp too, almost make your pants tight, then drew has a E55, and S600, Don has S65, SL65... both sick.. But the upkeep out of warranty is crazy.. last week we put a new drive shaft in the E55 because of a bad u joint, MB doesnt sale u joint.. go figure, On kims SL55 the blower pully went bad, got a cheap fix off ebay for it but i think the dealer told $1800 or something nuts for a pully..

I gave up on MB, BMW, and Jag years ago, as well as the ultra fun stuff.. Wife rides a denali, and i put my car fund money in old stuff, have 67 vette as play toy and went real cheap on daily driver, with kids the nice stuff gets broken so screw it. lol. then i picked up some other stuff and play with that.

Bottom line both are good, both are fast enough to get you killed etc.. it really comes down to what the person wants..

Trapspeed
07-29-13, 05:53 PM
Before the V, I was looking at a used E55 and an '06 model CL65. Nice as hell but when I started doing homework on maintenance and especially that ABC system costs, I bowed out. Happy I did.

87GN
07-29-13, 11:39 PM
I have never had one problem with my e55 and it is a 2004 with 83k miles, I just don't kill it...don't get me wrong, I drive it and have lots of fun but do not kill it. I don't kill any cars but drive them fast...not hard. Normal maintenance and they are great cars...I love it but I can make the V faster, for cheaper and easier!

I just bought a 2011 black sedan V, posted thread with goodies and options. I let you all the comparison when I get it tomorrow or Wed.