: 99 N* rebuilt and burning lots of oil

NSDeville
07-24-13, 02:12 AM
I have went through with the time and money on my NS.The reason i rebuilt it is because of the head gaskets. i did the timesert kit. i started it today and it runs perfect but burns over 1/2 quart of oil in five mins. All 8 pistons are soaked and when i pull the plugs, fresh oil is on them. The amount of smoke out the tail pipes is so bad i cant even describe. everything is new.. rod bearings piston rings.. honed walls.. valve stem seals.. pvc valve.. and more.. im lost... my grand father left me this beautiful deville in show room condition when he died. he told me to never let go of it and fix it in memory of him... i will not stop at anything...

98eldo32v
07-24-13, 03:47 AM
Who installed the piston rings?

Were the rings spaced according the manufactures specifications or the factory service manual?

Usually, the northstar doesn't need a re-hone job because the factory cross-hatch marks are still visible after many thousands of miles.

The northstar always seems to use a bit of oil, but you've got something abnormal going on.

Were the valve stem seals the right ones and installed correctly?

Did you modify or not replace something in the valve covers that fell out? Possibly a baffle?

Since you had the motor rebuilt, you're going to have to mentally scruntize everything that was done.....

04GrandAmGT
07-24-13, 09:53 AM
What brand name are the piston rings?

amunderdog
07-24-13, 10:04 AM
I see this as your first post
Hi
You had it rebuilt or you rebuilt it?
My 2 cents
If you had it rebuilt - contact the rebuilder
If you rebuilt it - Find a shop that speaks NorthStar and pay them to correct the motor about 3k.

JoeTahoe
07-24-13, 10:20 AM
What rings were used and were they installed correctly. I have totally rebuilt 2 Northstars and used gm rings and oil usage is minimal

Ranger
07-24-13, 11:34 AM
You honed the cylinder walls? That may be your problem. That is NOT recommended. Might consider a compression test.

Ranger
07-24-13, 11:36 AM
Usually, the northstar doesn't need a re-hone job because the factory cross-hatch marks are still visible after many thousands of miles.

Here's one at 131K and anther at 170K.

Submariner409
07-24-13, 12:34 PM
If the #2 piston ring (second compression ring) is installed upside down it acts like an oil pump - those rings have a tapered face and MUST be installed with the dot side up - their proper name is "oil scraper ring".

That's probably most of your oil problem right there.

97EldoCoupe
07-24-13, 12:41 PM
What did you do with the top end? What rings did you go with, what hone/coarseness of grit (eg. 240 grit), what pattern? Did you check the end gaps of the rings and adjust prior to install? This is all vital information in determining the cause of consumption. Was there any rusting/pitting/scoring in the cylinders? Any wear or out of roundness?

Make very sure oil level is correct (goes without saying) and not overfull.

We will try to help.

Ranger
07-24-13, 08:59 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but haven't seen you in a while Jake. Hope all is going well.

NSDeville
07-28-13, 12:18 AM
ok i rebuilt the engine myself. i had my local machine shop clean my heads and block and deck everything to spec. i bought my rings from ebay using brand sealed power. i spaced the ring gaps accordingly. my gasket kit i bought had the wrong timing cover gasket in it... was for the wrong year. i knew something was wrong because the kit was labeled northstar 99-04? wasnt there differences? anyway im really leaning towards valve stem seals. i ran the car again today and had it running at 3000 rpm to see if it would clear or whatever. i only did this for less than 5 mins.. i shut it down and had a oil spill from my tail pipes about 3x5 foot big and i was down 2 quarts in my crank case... something is VERY wrong. i will do a compression test tomorrow and post. thanks everyone for the feed back.

stoveguyy
07-28-13, 09:35 AM
They did ur heads? Were cams installed when they went to shop? If they tore down heads, did they put valve stem seals back? Maybe they forgot? Sounds like u need to pull pistons and recheck rings? Than mic cyl diameter? Or check cyl wall surface texture.

Submariner409
07-28-13, 10:13 AM
I told you there is a chance the second compression rings are installed upside down. Can you absolutely verify they were installed dot up ???

That is the ONLY way to pump that much oil out of the engine in such a hurry - valve stem seals would contribute, yes - but not that volume.

Ranger
07-28-13, 11:52 AM
i ran the car again today and had it running at 3000 rpm to see if it would clear or whatever. i only did this for less than 5 mins.. i shut it down and had a oil spill from my tail pipes about 3x5 foot big and i was down 2 quarts in my crank case... something is VERY wrong.
Holy Exxon Valdez Batman! I'll say something is very wrong. That's not burning oil, that's hemorrhaging.

MoistCabbage
07-28-13, 12:29 PM
Holy Exxon Valdez Batman!LOL!!! :histeric:

Submariner409
07-28-13, 05:24 PM
FWIW, the cat and other engine emissions sensors are now useless. Shot. Toast.

Talk to me about second compression rings, dots, and your install process.

97EldoCoupe
07-28-13, 05:40 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but haven't seen you in a while Jake. Hope all is going well.

Hello Ranger, yes all is going very well.

----------

96-99 has different width (thickness) piston rings than 2000+. Sealed Power is more of a "budget" brand of piston ring. I've had great luck so far with Hastings. If they sent you piston rings for a 2000+ model Northstar, your rings are going to be loose in the grooves and will be fluttering back andforth.

And as Sub had mentioned, it is critical to have the dots facing up so the taper angle is correct on the second rings.